VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible to somehow load an unpopular codec into a container (avi, mpg or mkv) so that the video is supported by any player? That any video player is decoded with a built-in video decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Megafox View Post
    Is it possible to somehow load an unpopular codec into a container (avi, mpg or mkv) so that the video is supported by any player? That any video player is decoded with a built-in video decoder.
    Not "any"

It depends on the specific video player's decoder and splitter . If it supports that container and codec format, then the answer is yes .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Megafox View Post
    Is it possible to somehow load an unpopular codec into a container (avi, mpg or mkv) so that the video is supported by any player? That any video player is decoded with a built-in video decoder.
    Not "any"

It depends on the specific video player's decoder and splitter . If it supports that container and codec format, then the answer is yes .
    I'm talking about a built-in video decoder that outputs a decoded stream for video player . Not decoder in video player, in video
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Megafox View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Not "any"

I'm talking about a built-in video decoder that outputs a decoded stream for video player . Not decoder in video player, in video
    same answer

It depends on the specific details of the codec, container, built in video decoder, and video player

If you want more specifics, you need to provide precise details
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Not "any"

same answer

It depends on the specific details of the codec, container, built in video decoder, and video player

If you want more specifics, you need to provide precise details
    I would like a link to detailed instructions on how to do this
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Megafox View Post
    I would like a link to detailed instructions on how to do this
    Do what exactly ?

Which video codec , audio codec and container combination ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I re-read post #1 several times and have no idea what is being asked.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I re-read post #1 several times and have no idea what is being asked.
    I just need to put the decoder in the video, and anything that the player (almost any) can read the video, and determine its type, for example, as mpeg-4, or uncompressed, the internal decoder will do all the work and transfer the stream to the video player. It sounds silly, but I can not describe it differently. I just found the right codec, and it does not work in 95% of the video players
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Megafox View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I just need to put the decoder in the video, and anything that the player (almost any) can read the video, and determine its type, for example, as mpeg-4, or uncompressed, the internal decoder will do all the work and transfer the stream to the video player. It sounds silly, but I can not describe it differently. I just found the right codec, and it does not work in 95% of the video players
    No you can't do this the way you describe.

You can bundle a specific player combination with a video in an exe. But in general, a random 2nd player won't support input from the 1st player unless you make some custom code

There are ways you can "emulate" a virtual video, such as by frameserving and mounting (e.g. avisynth, vapoursynth, avfs) , but it's probably not what you want . But to the other program it "looks" like an uncompressed video

Which codec are you referring to ?

Maybe try describing WHY you are doing this , it might help with the language issues and provide background info for other workarounds . There might be other ways to get the same results in the end with other methods
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    No you can't do this the way you describe.

You can bundle a specific player combination, but in general, a random 2nd player won't support input from the 1st player unless you make some custom code

There are ways you can "emulate" a virtual video, such as by frameserving and mounting (e.g. avisynth, vapoursynth, avfs) , but it's probably not what you want . But to the other program it "looks" like an uncompressed video

Which codec are you referring to ?

Maybe try describing why you are doing this , it might help with the language issues
    FFV1 or YULS
    Quote Quote  
  11. FFV1 is supported by most players that use ffmpeg code base . This is the majority of open source players. FFV1 is open source .

But YULS is YUVsoft lossless codec - it's not open source, not in ffmpeg . So support must be installed locally

Why don't you just use a player like VLC , or SMplayer or dozens of other derivatives? There are portable versions that don't require install. So you can bundle the video with the player if you are travelling, put on usb stick, or handing off to someone else

Again WHY are you doing this ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    FFV1 is supported by most players that use ffmpeg code base . This is the majority of open source players. FFV1 is open source .

But YULS is YUVsoft lossless codec - it's not open source, not in ffmpeg . So support must be installed locally

Why don't you just use a player like VLC , or SMplayer or dozens of other derivatives? There are portable versions that don't require install. So you can bundle the video with the player if you are travelling, put on usb stick, or handing off to someone else

Again WHY are you doing this ?
    Because I want the video to be played as well as mpeg. Where are any links at least? I have no idea how to embed a codec in a video
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Megafox View Post
    Because I want the video to be played as well as mpeg.
    Did you mean side by side, simultaneously ? As in a comparison ? Because VLC, SMplayer, etc.. dozens of other can play FFV1 and MPEG2

If you mean comparison, you can use an avs script to view them together with stackhoriztonal(a,b) , or stackvertical(a,b) . Assuming they have the same video in terms of framecount , dimensions, fps etc... You can playback avs in mpchc for example . ffplay and mpv too and a few others

Where are any links at least? I have no idea how to embed a codec in a video
    I misunderstood initially what you meant by "load an unpopular codec into a container" . I assumed you meant a video using an unpopular codec into a different container.

I don't think you can do this the way you described later, at least not very easily. You can use the virtual file workarounds mentioned earlier, but they are not "embedded" in a single container . The end result is a single "fake" AVI , but it requires other things like avisynth, mounting. But maybe that's ok for what you're trying to do in the end , which you still haven't described
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Megafox View Post
    Is it possible to somehow load an unpopular codec into a container (avi, mpg or mkv) so that the video is supported by any player?
    No.

Maybe I should clarify. It's possible in theory. But I'm not aware of any player designed to do that. The closest might be Windows Media Player which will automatically download and install WMV/WMA codecs if they aren't already installed (and the feature is enabled, and an internet connection is available). The technique would also be wasteful since every video file would have to include the decoder.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Feb 2018 at 18:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I believe what the OP is asking is whether it is possible to embed decoder code into the video stream so that any player/editor app that attempts to use that video stream will ALREADY have a means to decode the stream, regardless of the app.

The answer is: NO.

None of the containers, the bitstreams, nor the multimedia infrastructures currently support embedded self-decoding. And we should ALL be glad they don’t. At one time a decade or so ago I thought that might be a novel answer to the question of universality, but the rise of h264 and mp4 or mkv and the growth of open source codecs and architectures (LAV Filters, Ffmpeg...) makes this a moot point.
    It’s a good thing, too, because going down the path of embedded decoders could very easily lead to malware exploits.

Give up this goofy quest, Megafox, and just use standard format, common denominators as your choice of distribution.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 27th Feb 2018 at 19:36.
    Quote Quote  
  16. OK, if the desire is to embed the decoder, that would be a really bad idea because, if you actually could do that, since such a decoder would have to be a DLL, it would be a wonderful way to deliver a virus. No operating system would allow such a thing.

As others have said, it is true that Windows will download and install a codec, which is close to what you are asking, but the virus possibilities are low because we all trust Microsoft ... well, many people do.

So my advice is to learn how Microsoft downloads codecs, make sure the codec you want to have used is available from then, and leave it at that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And I believe there should be a strong differentiation between “Content” and “Actor/Action/Program” data. Noun & verb.

Scott
    Quote Quote