Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fingers crossed!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [Attachment 82487 - Click to enlarge]

Works aok. Used VHS tape, output RCA/Phono connectors VHS --> GS400 --> PC via firewire. Didn't test S-Video instead of phono but I'm sure it would also work.

Set GS400 to playback without DV tape.
    Last edited by JN-; 27th Sep 2024 at 18:26.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent news.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I’d nearly forgotten about testing using via usb, see post #32. I’ll post findings when I do do that.

One oddity re: Mediainfo. I assumed that the 16:9 Pro Cinema file was progressive vs interlaced for DV standard and DV 16:9 modes. Mediainfo reports all three files as interlaced. I spent some time trying to figure which setting I had overlooked if any, for the 16:9 Pro Cinema output.

However, when I loaded the Pro Cinema file into Vegas Pro it identified it as Progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't have read "progressive" capture into the manual explanation of "Pro-cinema".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I probably got that from inet. i.e. that Pro Cinema takes two of the interlaced frames close together in time and puts them together to make a single frame.

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-61265.html
    Frame mode creates a progressive frame. Both fields are taken simultaneously and combined in the DSP to create a full frame. The combining process does create a 480 line (NTSC) or 576 line (PAL) frame but the resolution is not the same as if the frame was truly progressive. It looks really good, however, and in some regards is better than if you deinterlaced the video using software.”

I used this ffmpeg syntax to try and nail it down further.

SET _INPUT_FILE="%~n1%~x1"
    SET _INPUT_FILENAME="%~n1"
    ffmpeg -y -an -sn -dn -i %_INPUT_FILE% -filter:v 'idet' 2>%_INPUT_FILENAME%.txt -f null -

I have output (using NV-GS400) from tape 3 DV.avi test files. 1st. is standard DV, 2nd. is 16-9 DV and 3rd. is 16-9 Pro Cinema pro.

In that order they are 243, 254 and 309 frames in duration.

1st.
    [Parsed_idet_0 @ 000002880afe6440] Repeated Fields: Neither: 243 Top: 0 Bottom: 0
    [Parsed_idet_0 @ 000002880afe6440] Single frame detection: TFF: 0 BFF: 24 Progressive: 0 Undetermined: 219
    [Parsed_idet_0 @ 000002880afe6440] Multi frame detection: TFF: 0 BFF: 44 Progressive: 0 Undetermined: 199

2nd.
    [Parsed_idet_0 @ 0000016dc0f36440] Repeated Fields: Neither: 254 Top: 0 Bottom: 0
    [Parsed_idet_0 @ 0000016dc0f36440] Single frame detection: TFF: 0 BFF: 0 Progressive: 0 Undetermined: 254
    [Parsed_idet_0 @ 0000016dc0f36440] Multi frame detection: TFF: 0 BFF: 0 Progressive: 0 Undetermined: 254

3rd.
    [Parsed_idet_0 @ 0000023083f05440] Repeated Fields: Neither: 309 Top: 0 Bottom: 0
    [Parsed_idet_0 @ 0000023083f05440] Single frame detection: TFF: 0 BFF: 0 Progressive: 33 Undetermined: 276
    [Parsed_idet_0 @ 0000023083f05440] Multi frame detection: TFF: 0 BFF: 0 Progressive: 294 Undetermined: 15

I can make available the test files if u know of a way to check out for Interlaced/Progressive.

The above results do appear to show progressive, probably. i.e. multi frame detection ...
    Progressive 294. Undetermined 15 out of a total of 309 frames.
    Last edited by JN-; 29th Sep 2024 at 08:10.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can make available the test files if u know of a way to check out for Interlaced/Progressive.
    Easily done in AVISynth (SeparateFields() ), or Vdub (Deinterlace, Double-Rate BFF) and step through the fields. After you've done that, if you get duplicated frames, it's Progressive. If each frame is different, it's Interlaced.

Chuck one up, we'll have a play.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I'm not familiar with those programs and there are only so many hours in the day.

The Panasonic pdf info on “Frame mode” was located here but no longer AFAIK. By Steve Mullen.
    ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/PBTS/papers/Progressive-WP.pdf
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by JN-; 29th Sep 2024 at 08:53.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hours in the day... how true.
    Quote Quote  
  10. There's not enough motion in those clips for a definitive analysis. But they all appear to be progressive (encoded interlaced).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Jagabo. When I did the 3 test clips I was only curious if there was a perceived quality difference between the “Frame mode/Pro Cinema mode and the 16:9 mode. AFAIKSee theres not much in it, the frame mode looks pretty good though.

I was also curious to see if there was any loss going from 4:3 to 16:9 widescreen, but I couldn't see any. So I can see why users would have used one of the widescreen modes mainly.

I wasn't thinking at that time of confirming if it was progressive. If it's any help I can do another Pro Cinema frame mode with movement?

Will do one shortly and upload.

Some users opinions on what frame mode is … https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-45344.html
    Last edited by JN-; 29th Sep 2024 at 09:26.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a 2nd. set of 3 files with motion. I used ffmpeg to output a text file for each one.

It shows BFF progressive? for the 1st. 2 files and just progressive for the 3rd. Pro Cinema file.

Am interested if you can analyse these 3 better, thanks.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THE_DOMAN. RE: capturing/copying via USB.

The Video Stream Driver is not allowed to be installed by Win 10 OS. I had it on a "MotionDV Studio 5.3E LE CD.

Not the end of the world as the firewire works aok. Thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JN- View Post
    THE_DOMAN. RE: capturing/copying via USB.

The Video Stream Driver is not allowed to be installed by Win 10 OS. I had it on a "MotionDV Studio 5.3E LE CD.
    From what i understand (and remember from long time ago) you not need(want) to install special(old) drivers?
    What happens when you just connect the camera?
    How/what does it show in device manager?

Scenalyzerlive should be able to capture from USB too.
    But then Windows 10 can behave differently may be.

also:
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    You do not need MotionDV to do DV over USB with Win 10 and 11. There is a comprehensive speil on this on my website here. Scroll down to the DV over USB section.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough. I tried first without attempting to install anything and with menu setting as per manual VP capture and Nero video capture SW didn't see camera.

I then tried installing driver.

I didn't think of checking device driver. I'll do that and get back.
    Quote Quote  
  16. 1 and 2 are interlaced (25i with motion at each field, 50 different fields per second). 3 is progressive (motion at each frame, 25 different frames per second).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Truly excellent, thanks. It's as I expected from reading about it, more or less. The ffmpeg method was close but not quite as accurate as your results.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The_Doman.

I read your excellent instructions again, had previously done. Anyway tried it on a Win 11 PC and used sceneanalyzer, works great, amazing.

I’ll probably try again tomorrow on the Win 10 PC.

Got message disk full when attempting to capture in folder on D:, so changed to C:.

Also cannot install sclive. Ok Windows saw my attempt and offered to install in compatibility mode. Done.
    Last edited by JN-; 29th Sep 2024 at 13:29.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just for the record this was a PAL Panasonic NV-GS400EB model.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I read your excellent instructions again, had previously done. Anyway tried it on a Win 11 PC and used sceneanalyzer, works great, amazing.
    Yes, Scenalyzer is a great, convenient tool.
    Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    That is why i always like the seamless segmented capture feature of ScenalyzerLive so much.
    It can capture in "finished" segments which can be joined/merged afterwards without losing any frames.
    That is also so convenient when you doing "marathon" long captures and easily can keep/delete the parts you want.
    I really miss that feature, seamless segmented capture, in VirtualDub/AmarecTV.
    The old AVi_io also did this perfectly.
    Got message disk full when attempting to capture in folder on D:, so changed to C:.
    Ah yes, the Scenalyzer disk full issue, that always creeps up from time to time.
    Take a look here:
    Scenalyzer reports full disk

But great you got a nice working DV capture solution now.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Indeed. Nice to have both firewire and USB options. I had always assumed it wasn't possible via USB. The file appears similar to firewire capture and no dropped frames. Simply great.

As I said I will try again on Win 10 PC tomorrow, I may have misstepped earlier. I'll check out that link, thanks.
    Last edited by JN-; 29th Sep 2024 at 14:16.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tomorrow came early. Tried again on Win 10 PC. USB capture/copy works fine using Sceneanalyzer. The Vegas Vidcapture SW only captures video, no audio. I see that the check box for audio is enabled. Anyway, great to have so many options.
    Quote Quote