VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

Sorry for my poor english, I have a question and I'd appreciate your advices.

I recently got a very huge collection of BluRays, and I would like to rip the movies in HEVC or in H264 format in order to store a copy in my hard disk. So I'm using DVDFab 10.x as ripping software, no issue, but I'm wondering if I use GPU/NVENC to compress to HEVC (4000 kB/s one pass), or I use CPU conversion to H264/AVC (4000 kB/s two-pass), giving moreless the same size. I made some tests (bitrate 4000 Kb/s seems correct) and tried to compare the visual quality on my computer screeen or TV screeen and sincerely I can't see big differences between the results. I don't know how to use softwares in order to compare SSIM or PSNR etc ...
    Of course I could use CPU/HEVC but it takes a while and it's too long for me.

So my concern is to know what is the best quality (same conversion bitrate 4000kB/s) between HEVC (NVENC converter) and AVC (CPU conversion). Thanks for your advices ...
    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hello, no advices / answers ?

To be a little more accurate, what is the best in terms of video quality between a BD ripped in AVC (2pass , preset fast ...) and the same BD ripped at the same bitrate (I suggested 4000k) with nvenc (so one pass only, no B-frames, preset VBR_HQ for example) ?

Thanks a lot for your advices/help/suggestions/etc ...

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use comparable to x264/x265 CRFsettings - bitrate is important only if you dealing with transmission or storage space limitations.
    Quote Quote