VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking upgrading my 2600k system and was looking at the intel 8700,this will be for games and video editing,any other cpu you suggest might be better in the 450$ (canadian dollar)price range?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There isn't a better processor in your price range than the i7 8700, as far as I can tell, other than the i7 8700K. Intel released a few new Coffee Lake processors today, but none were Core i7s. See http://www.game-debate.com/news/24598/intel-quietly-launches-8-new-coffee-lake-cpus-in...-8500-from-200
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the link,I'll wait till spring for the new cpu's to come out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    don't forget you'll need to buy a new motherboard and memory for the new cpu....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So i decided to go with the ryzen 7 1700x cause hopefully i will get that in the ebay for 300$ canadian,got the new MB and ram on the way,if i don't win the ryzen i buy it at newegg for the non x model.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should wait a little bit. Ryzen 2 (Zen+) should be out next month. Supposedly it'll bring some IPC and clock improvements.
    valvehead//
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My mb i ordered will be able to handle the newer ryzen 2 so i can sell the older one and get the newer one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What MB did you decide on? The Gigabyte one I'm using is very critical of the RAM.
    I originally used Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16. It was listed as compatible.
    It would only run at 1066 Mhz, where it should have been 1200 Mhz or higher.

I didn't really try to OC the RAM or the CPU, as it runs fast enough by default for my uses.
    I'm now running Corsair CMK16GX4M2Z2400C16, which does run at 1200 MHz at default settings with no problems.

My current Video card is a Nvidia GeForce GT740, as I don't really game on the PC.

I'm also a big fan of water cooling for higher powered CPUs like the Ryzen 7 1700X.
    It makes the PC much quieter and makes OC'ing much easier, if desired.

Let us know the details of your system once you have it assembled.

I'm also working on a PC build using a economy AMD RYZEN 3 2200G Quad-Core 3.5 GHz with on-chip graphics.
    I will post a thread on the build once I get all the parts.
    Last edited by redwudz; 24th Feb 2018 at 11:10.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For ram I'm gonna use CORSAIR Vengeance CMK16GX4M2B3000C15W and the MB is a ASRock AB350 Pro4 AM4,i'm going to install win7 64 business and the asrock has an option in bios to emulate ps2/serial for usb and also has drivers for windows 7 at their web page
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just won the ryzen 1700x for $330 Canadian,they are selling that cpu for over $400 in most canadian sites and stores.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I paid about $350US for mine in 2017 and I'm still very happy with it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Whats it like for encoding compared to your previous computer?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    At least for DVD to H264/AC3 MKV encoding with VidCoder, much faster. DVDs direct from the optical drive convert in less than 10 minutes.
    Almost twice as fast as my AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition CPU setup using similar settings most times.
    16GB RAM and a M.2 boot drive probably help also.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had a AMD Phenom II X6 and switched to a 2600k and the encodes went 2x as fast so i wont see any difference?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hmm, SB to IL/Ryzen7? Seven years gone, and skipping over 6 gens before upgrading. I guess that partially answers the question from my long dead thread, "What is it going to take to upgrade your PC?"
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just got all the parts and put the system together and it just starts for about 3 seconds and turns off,one time it did post and was able to boot up and was running for 10 minutes and when i went to restart it started just shutting down again after 3 seconds and no posts.Think it could be the ram?Tried another video card and took out one ram and tried it in slots but no go.

I put my 2600k system in again with no issues,the psu never has any problems on my 2600k,it never crashes.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Just got all the parts and put the system together and it just starts for about 3 seconds and turns off,one time it did post and was able to boot up and was running for 10 minutes and when i went to restart it started just shutting down again after 3 seconds and no posts.Think it could be the ram?Tried another video card and took out one ram and tried it in slots but no go.

I put my 2600k system in again with no issues,the psu never has any problems on my 2600k,it never crashes.
    did you try checking the thermal paste on the cpu ??
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yup,was properly applied,took off the heatsink and checked.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup,was properly applied,took off the heatsink and checked.
    possible bad power supply ?? try disconnecting your dvd drives and just have the HDD hooked up to the computer
    and see if it still shuts down.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Already did that,my psu is running fine with my 2600k,i had everything disconnected except the keyboard and power wires on the MB.I think its a ram issue so i will buy another MB.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Already did that,my psu is running fine with my 2600k,i had everything disconnected except the keyboard and power wires on the MB.I think its a ram issue so i will buy another MB.
    I recall reading that Ryzen systems are rather picky about RAM. The advice I saw said to select your RAM from the motherboard's QVL.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  22. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You listed in a previous post, 'CMK16GX4M2B3000C15W and the MB is a ASRock AB350 Pro4 AM4'.
    I didn't see that exact RAM listed at the Asrock QVL site, though your MB probably still should have posted.

The problem I had with RAM, CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, in my Ryzen PC was that it wouldn't run at the correct speed.
    It worked otherwise, just at 1066Mhz instead of 1200Mhz. Fixed that with a different Corsair RAM, CMK16GX4M2Z2400C16.

While the problem 'sounds' thermally related, I don't really think so. Thermal problems are usually consistent.
    As are RAM problems. And usually PS problems.

I'm thinking the MB is at fault. But were there any indications in BIOS? Temperatures or otherwise? If you were able, I'd try CPUID to get some idea of
    what's happening with the OS running. HWiNFO64 is also useful for temps.

And make sure you have the most up to date BIOS. I've had Asrock BIOS problems before.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I ordered a different MB (asus)cause the asrock wouldn't get to bios,it would shut down to quick,the time it was working is i had to change the the ram settings in bios to xmp for it to run and it did for a bit and after that it just went to shutting down.I did try clearing the bios but no help.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've had Asrock MB problems before. Especially with BIOS. Will detail that in a future thread. Asus seems a good alternative.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Got my ASUS PRIME X370-A and put it together and it booted up right away with no issues other than trying to get the ram to higher settings,will need to update the bios,have windows 7 activated again,didn't reinstall,just let windows boot up and install the ryzen chipset with a ps2 keyboard and now all the usb ports work.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I installed windows 10 and updated to Creators Update version 1709 and now when i open video files with mpc-hc the mouse comes to a crawl until the video starts playing,anyone else have this issue?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed windows 10 and updated to Creators Update version 1709 and now when i open video files with mpc-hc the mouse comes to a crawl until the video starts playing,anyone else have this issue?
    make sure that all your drivers are up to date including the graphics card.
    you also may want to do a disc cleanup & defrag and see if that helps.
    also what antivirus software do you use ??
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Everything is up to date,it's a Microsoft issue since before the update i had no problems playing video files,also Microsoft changed a lot of things in there settings cause they don't listen to customers.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Haven't seen that issue with W10, but it has messed up some of my drivers before. Have you tried uninstalling the mouse drivers and letting the OS reinstall them? On my Ryzen PC with W10 Pro, the USB radio mouse is unavailable for about five seconds after waking from sleep.

Haven't figured out that one either. It may be BIOS or W1O or the MB or the Logitech drivers. Didn't do that till the Creators Update.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't install any mouse drivers since it has a memory for the mouse button settings,i just let windows 10 install its default mouse drivers.It just a creators update that affected our devices.It seems that when the video is loading that there's a heavy cpu load slowing down the mouse.
    Quote Quote