VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Using DVDFab and Handbrake is it possible to create ONE MP4 file that has all English subtitles for BOTH English and foreign language scenes.
    In particular, when I attempt to create an MP4 for The Hunt For Red October DVD the Russian dialogue does not show up on the screen in English subtitles, only the English speaking scenes. I have tried every possible option with Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Subscene has english subtitles for foreign parts The Hunt For Red October. You could use Subtitle Edit to make an OCR on your DVD and combine them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Subscene has english subtitles for foreign parts The Hunt For Red October. You could use Subtitle Edit to make an OCR on your DVD and combine them.
    Does the Subtitle Edit application allow you to open the MP4 file and add subtitles wherever you see fit?

Regarding Subscene, I've never understood that part of the subtitle process. I just always grab the subtitles off the DVD because it seems so much easier to do. It seems like there are SO MANY subtitles to choose from at the link you gave me. How would I know which one to use?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by njitgrad View Post
    Does the Subtitle Edit application allow you to open the MP4 file and add subtitles wherever you see fit?
    No. SubtitleEdit can read subtitles from mp4 files and then e.g. combine and store them as .srt file. If you want to mux them back into mp4 you need to user a different tool (e.g. ffmpeg). But many players will auto-load .srt subtitle if they have the same file name as the video file (except file extension, of course) so often there is no need to mux at all.
    Quote Quote  
  5. How would I know which one to use?
    One of those that says "Foreign parts only". Check if it synchronize with the video and then join it with your own subtitle. I can see these comes from a BD version which has the risk of being different from the DVD so you need to be cautious.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If he wants subtitle for all parts anyways he might as well download the complete one and spare himself the trouble of combining and OCRing...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    How would I know which one to use?
    One of those that says "Foreign parts only". Check if it synchronize with the video and then join it with your own subtitle. I can see these comes from a BD version which has the risk of being different from the DVD so you need to be cautious.
    How would I join the subtitle files? Is there a tutorial you know of? I am a noob at subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  8. In SubtitleEdit: "Tools"->"Join subtitles". Then save as e.g. srt. file.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    If he wants subtitle for all parts anyways he might as well download the complete one and spare himself the trouble of combining and OCRing...
    Exactly what I want to do. Only question is which one. I don't know "how" to pick due to lack of experience.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Try an English language release that has "DVD" in its name and is not "foreign parts only". Then test it. If it doesn't fit try a different one. Testing a subtitle shouldn't take more than a minute (click a bit around in the beginning, middle and end of the movie to see if it fits everywhere).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Let me take a step back here and try to explain my typical workflow and what I am experiencing with The Hunt For Red October.

Typically I use DVDFab to rip a DVD (Full Movie) and then use Handbrake to create two versions of a DVD: one without subtitles (for my wife and others) and one with subtitles (for me). I copy the resulting (subtitled) MP4 files onto my NAS and then play them from various Samsung Smart TVs in my house with no problem. For my wife I copy the MP4s (non-subtitled) onto a memory stick and plug them into the TV in the bedroom. 99.99% of the time this process works perfectly.

The problem is that for Red October I can't get the brief Russian dialogue to show up in either the non-subtitle version or the subtitle version using my existing workflow. All you hear is the Russian dialogue being spoken and that's it.

When I drag the VIDEO_TS folder into VLC player (on my PC) it shows me the DVD menu. Whether I select subtitles or not, during playback on my PC I am able to see the Russian dialogue as English subtitles so I know that they are there.

The question is why can't Handbrake produce MP4 files with English subtitles for the Russian dialogue scenes. I've tried the Foreign Audio Scan track option in Handbrake and that didn't work.

Basically what I need (using my existing workflow if possible) is the simplest way to produce two MP4s:

1) With NO subtitles whatsoever except for the Russian dialogue scenes (in English of course)
    2) With English subtitles throughout including the Russian dialogue scenes

Can anyone tell me the simplest way to do this. There must be a way.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by njitgrad View Post
    The question is why can't Handbrake produce MP4 files with English subtitles for the Russian dialogue scenes.
    Well that's easy enough to answer. It wont let you put bitmaps into an MP4, it's not supported, as per 'specs'. Get text subtitles or change to MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  13. It wont let you put bitmaps into an MP4, it's not supported, as per 'specs'.
    MP4 can contain idx/vobsub.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    MP4 can contain idx/vobsub.
    I'm referencing Handbrake. Handbrake wont let you.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm guessing there are two subtitletracks since

I am able to see the Russian dialogue as English subtitles
    Use MakeMKV on the VIDEO_TS folder and see if it's the case. If it is OCR each track in Subtitle Edit and join them.

PS Or burn-in one track and softcode the other.
    Quote Quote