VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Is there a way to properly remove Closed Captions from a DVD using Staxrip ? Simple subtiles are pretty easy but I haven't found any way rip CC.

Thanks

Kelemvar
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kalemvar1 View Post
    Is there a way to properly remove Closed Captions from a DVD using Staxrip ? Simple subtiles are pretty easy but I haven't found any way rip CC.

Thanks

Kelemvar
    Staxrip doesn't provide the option to rip the closed captions from NTSC DVDs, as far as I can tell. The closed captions in N. American DVDs are stored in the MPEG-2 video's user data. When the video is re-encoded, normally none of the information stored in the user data is preserved.

If you want to extract the closed captions from the DVD to make subtitles from them, there are ways to do that for free. You first need to copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the decrypted DVD to your hard drive. Next, you need to convert the movie, extra features, or episodes in the copied DVD for which subtitles are desired into MPG files. I use the free version of VOB2MPG in IFO mode for that. The final step is to use CCExtractor GUI to convert the closed captions in the mpg file to SRT subtitles.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote