VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Today I just found brand new in box an Intel i5-6500. I'd like to use it to upgrade an older PC. Any ideas on a good motherboard that has at least enough space for 8 drives plus Blu-ray? I had thought of an older Asus z170 chipset, maybe ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO/Whetstone, but these still seem a bit pricey. I'd like to have a board I could update to an i7 on later on depending on what is cheap at the time...I'm always a generation or two out. Anything that is reliable is great. Thx.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    Today I just found brand new in box an Intel i5-6500. I'd like to use it to upgrade an older PC. Any ideas on a good motherboard that has at least enough space for 8 drives plus Blu-ray? I had thought of an older Asus z170 chipset, maybe ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO/Whetstone, but these still seem a bit pricey. I'd like to have a board I could update to an i7 on later on depending on what is cheap at the time...I'm always a generation or two out. Anything that is reliable is great. Thx.
    You could also look at an ASRock Z270 Extreme 4: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157738
    It will accept a Kaby Lake i7 as well as a Skylake i5-6500. Coffee Lake CPUs require a 300-series chipset. Only 8 sata ports.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Easy enough to add a PCI SATA adapter to add a few more SATA ports. It does slow down the boot a little when it initializes.
    Last edited by redwudz; 18th Feb 2018 at 15:29. Reason: Spelling
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 on using an add-on card

I'm building a new system with an I7 and motherboards with eight (8) ports onboard seems to be max. Also, if you use M2 SSDs, they'll take away two two SATA ports for each drive. If you install an Optane board, that will take take away 1 or 2 ports also.

I'm using this 8 port (the most I could find) add-on card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESFEI2E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, cases with 9+ bays are rare. I'm using a NZXT Phantom case with 11 bays and added a 3 to 4 bay adapter to give me a total of 13 HDD bays (would be 12 + 1 optical drive if I used an internal).

However, after a lot of afterthought (including electricity used 24/7 and heat), I've decided to house the majority of my drives (which are primarily backups) in standalone multi-bay enclosures.
    Last edited by lingyi; 17th Feb 2018 at 20:45. Reason: Additional info for clarity
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you only need two internal SATA connections, I've used several of these or similar:

https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Port-PCI-Express-SI-PEX40094/dp/B06Y64S1Y4/ref=sr_1_1?...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I have some old PCI slot cards, so I will need to get new ones. Thanks for the links!
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    O.K. I delete it. Don't know if 8 drivers are possible... B150M pro gaming
    O.k. it has 6 Sata 6Gb/s
    Last edited by Bernix; 18th Feb 2018 at 10:39. Reason: Delete next o.k.
    Quote Quote