VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to burn a video to a dvd-r disc for a friend that I trade classic tv show episodes with.

I have a new computer with windows ten and even with a dvd-r blank disc windows ten still insists on making it dvd-rw

My friend doesn't want a dvd-rw disc he wants dvd-r's for his collection. What do I do?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First fix the thread title so that it relates to the problem
    Try using Imgburn to create the disk, it should identify the media correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry about that, how do you change the title?
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVD-RW are rewritable. You can write to them, erase it, write again, many times.

DVD-R can only be written to once. You can't magically turn a DVD-R into a DVD-RW, no matter what Windows says (or, possibly, how you're misinterpreting what Windows says).

The differences are explained here.

Just do as davexnet suggests and use ImgBurn for the job.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    nancyann, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Again sorry
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Manono,

I don't want to change a dvd-rw to a dvd-r disc. I want to burn a video file to dvd-r but windows 10 will only do dvd-rw.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Either a disk is a dvd-r or it's a dvd-rw. They are physically different media.
    If Windows is misidentifying, install Imgburn and use that to create the disk.

It should properly identify the media once it's loaded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It sounds like you are trying to use Win10's packet-writing (aka disc as a removeable hard drive) capable utility.

You do NOT want't to do that.

First, it is wasteful of bytes (overhead for packet transition sectors).
    Second, that is not the type of disc format that DVD players expect (udf 2.50+ vs. Dvd-video's micro udf 1.02/bridge).
    Third, as you have found out, it only works fully & properly when you use RW discs.

Again, use a proper Disc-at-Once burning app, such as ImgBurn. It also recognizes proper dvd-video folder structure, so it puts it in the proper sector order on disc, and makes it udf1.02-compliant.

Also, I note you said "video file". But a proper dvd is a structured arrangement of certain files in a certain folder, with certain properties. Not just some "video file". It needs to be authored (and compiled) first.

Scott
    Quote Quote