VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there.
    I'm a newbie on video editing, so pardon me if this is an obvious question.

I have a mp4 video and I would like to add/insert a static image at the beginning which lasts 10 seconds, i.e., the motion would only start after that static image.
    What's the easiest way of doing this? Is there any free software capable of such task?

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Any video editing program should be able to do that.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I mention two ways you can do this.
    1st method Create picture of same size for example (640pxx480úx) as video resolution is. Create 250 copy of this frame (25fps x 10secs) and append your video. Then re-encode whole video. Disadvantage is your encoded video will be bit hurts in quality because re-encoding, which will not be lossless. If lossless size will (can) be enormous. You can use avidemux for this. Easy to setup for x264 x265, can copy audio simply very easy to use.
    2nd method Copy paste the picture at same size as video (width and height) until you reach 10 sec on timeline. Then set video compression and audio compression to same as video you have has. Same codecs and framerates are best. Then get Mkvtoolnix. Open your 10secs video (you just created) and open it in this program. Right click on the file in upper window. Choose append and then select your video. Advantage is no quality loss, but can cause some problems. I encountered some on some devices, when first video (10 secs) in this case was played green...

Sorry too long for me to know if is it easy to understand. And late here....
    Glad if somebody corrects where I was wrong or not precise.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks, Bernix. Your tips were very helpful.
    I was trying the second method, because I'm already using mkvtoolnix to mux a mp4 with an ass subtitle file so that I can convert the mkv to a mp4 file with handbrake in order to burn the subtitles.
    The problem is that my 10 second video (with an image with the same height/width of the video) is not muxing. I add it to the window, click "append files" and add the main video. Then, i get the error "Files cannot be appended to themselves. The argument for '--append-to' was invalid."
    But if I add the main video to the small video (not append), the mkv is correctly created.

What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    really don't know why. are you sure codecs are same and resolution too, also check framerate. Or post Text form of image info of both files, no need name, just other information. It seems weird error you got... Never got it before. Also what version of Mkvtoolnix are you using? If latest try version 19 but I doubt it will helps. Sorry
    Edit: Probably you will have to add audiotrack to the picture video. Just guess.
    Or you can open picture video (10 secs) open in avidemux and then append main video. Video and audio to copy, output format to mkv or mp4 and save as whatyouwant. But expect same result, but why not try it.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 14th Feb 2018 at 03:57.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I'm using mkvtoolnix 20, but I think the problem is that the image has no audio track. The video codecs and resolution are the same, but I can't add an audio track with avidemux.
    When I create the 10 second video with the image, the Audio Output says "0 track" even though I choose AAC (lav), the same as the main video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So in audacity create some audio 10 secs long and get it together with picture video in mkvtoolnix. It shouldn't be hard to create open some sound, select part then insert silence, trim save multiplex in mkvtoolnix. And you will have silent audio track in your picture video.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or another way is to create main video without audio simply uncheck audio in mkvtoolnix and start muxing, but save the audio first (in avidemux is it easy top menu). Then append both videos, and then add audio to resulted video and shift it (if picture video has 10 secs then in audio property on right 10.000ms). You needn't create audiofile. But is it like scraping with left hand right ear

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you, Bernix.
    I still have problems with the format when multiplexing, but I understood the process and I'll try to fuss around a little more.
    Quote Quote