VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So for a long time I've been encoding bluray movies for a while and I usually don't get any problems. I use a combination of avisynth and MeGUI.

The codecs I've installed are ffdshow and haali media splitter.

Occasionally in my encodes the picture glitches, seems to be specifically with movies that are VC-1 but I can confirm that's not always the case. (I use FFVideoSource for VC-1 movies)

So I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should have installed that would ensure things go smoothly from here on.
    Last edited by WAusJackBauer; 12th Feb 2018 at 04:20.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, ffmpeg VC-1 software decoder is bugged and ffdshow and ffvideosource are based on ffmpeg.

Today "no one" uses ffdshow or Haali anymore as their development stopped long time ago. You can stick to ffvideosource for H.264 Blu-Rays. For VC-1 you can use:
    • DGDecNV
    • FRIMSource
    • DirectShowSource() with LAV Video (in LAV Video do not deactivate WMV MFT decoder, or use DXVA2 copy-back or D3D11)
    • DSS2() with LAV Video (in LAV Video do not deactivate WMV MFT decoder, or use DXVA2 or D3D11)
    • DSS2mod (DSS2 with LAV inbuilt, I don't know if there are more recent versions but it's probably still good enough for VC-1 Blu-Ray)

DGDecNV might be the most stable option but it requires suitable Nvidia GPU and is not freeware ($15).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your response.

I tried FRIMSource but it just said "unknown codec". DSS2 ended up working though.

I did however run into another issue, mentioned here.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/387971-Problem-with-audio-video-sync
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bump on the OP cus didn't really get an idea of what programs/applications to install
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you trying to encode the main movie ? M2TS/vc-1 source? Use mkvtoolnix to make an mkv out of it
    then use Lsmashsource in Avisynth, encode in any Avisynth capable host program - even
    ffmpeg should be fine since the decoding is done in the .avs script

https://github.com/HolyWu/L-SMASH-Works/releases
    Last edited by davexnet; 17th Jun 2021 at 19:26.
    Quote Quote