VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The programming on Germany's Spiegel magazine website in regard to videos appears to be problematic.

For example, I wanted to watch this:
    http://www.spiegel.de/video/doku-das-raetsel-von-tunguska-ueber-explosion-in-sibirien-...-99013321.html

Using Basilisk and PM, I've tried it with NoScript and uBlock origin on and off, as well as with a brand-new profile. I've also tried it with Firefox, IE, and Chrome. It never works right: The video window is always too big, and I never see any controls for volume, full screen, etc.

1. Can anyone get this video to show correctly?

2. Could someone who understands embedding issues please take a look at the code and try to explain why I'm unable to watch it with the controls?

Thank you.
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try using Ctrl+minus a few times to downscale the browser. I find that often helps when the controls aren't visible.

If that doesn't work youtube-dl appears to be able to download the video:

Code:
    youtube-dl http://ww/doku-das-raetsel-von-tunguska-ueber-explosion-in-sibirien-video-99013321.html
    It's a very slow download for me so I can't say for sure if it gets the whole thing.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Feb 2018 at 12:33.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1. No, same problem in different browsers. Even Firefox without any extensions.
    Only way I get it to work is with Opera and its option to open the video in its own window but even then the extra window shows a still frame with controls..
    Broken website.

Like jagabo said you can download using youtube-dl. Or play it with mpv which can use youtube-dl for streaming:
    Code:
    mpv http://www.spiegel.de/video/doku-das-raetsel-von-tunguska-ueber-explosion-in-sibirien-video-99013321.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried all the suggestions and was able to download the film. Thanks.

Now I've got a bigger problem, though.

I decided to try mpv. I downloaded it and used the install.bat. It looked like it installed OK.

Then I decided I didn't need it, so I ran the uninstall.bat file, but all it produced was error messages.

I took a look using my reg editor, and I saw that the program added or modified over a thousand entries in my registry!

I use a program called Registry Finder instead of regedit because it's faster, but when I tried to delete the entries, it tells me "Access Denied".

I will sincerely any help with this. Thank you.

Is there any straightforward way to get rid of them other than doing a system restore?
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jgg View Post
    I decided to try mpv. I downloaded it and used the install.bat. It looked like it installed OK.
    It doesn't need to be installed. Install.bat is only for optional file type associations and similar Windows integration.

Originally Posted by jgg View Post
    Then I decided I didn't need it, so I ran the uninstall.bat file, but all it produced was error messages.
    What error messages? Did you run the uninstall.bat with admin privileges?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    It doesn't need to be installed. Install.bat is only for optional file type associations and similar Windows integration.
    Whoops. I guess I should have read the instructions more carefully.

What error messages? Did you run the uninstall.bat with admin privileges?
    I ran it with admin privileges, but I guess I need to learn to be more patient.

When I saw the error message, I just closed the window and killed it. After reading your kind message, though, I decided to give it a chance and after about 15-20 seconds, it started to uninstall the entries.

It finally said "successfully uninstalled".

My sincere thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my inquiry and provide me with help.
    Quote Quote