VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

i'm a linux user but i use gMKVExtractGUI with wine on my linux machine because there is no good mkv extract gui for linux (i only know mkv-extractor-qt5 and i don't like it). on linux i can create service menus that i can see when i right click in the file manager. when i want to open a file directly in a program i can do something like

Code:
    program %F
    where %F is the file i want to open in program. off course some linux tools don't support that, for example makemkv, and i have to open the program and select the file with "open file". can i directly open a mkv file in gMKVextractGUI in this way? off course also on windows you can create something like service menus (i don't know the name on windows) and maybe there is a solution to do that with gMKVExtractGUI?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To me mkv extractor qt5 works fine with Linux.

You can also try Inviska MKV Extract, but be aware that it doesn't work yet with version 20 of mkvtoolnix.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Valit View Post
    can i directly open a mkv file in gMKVextractGUI in this way?
    It works on Windows. Did it not work when you tested it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. first i tried

Code:
    wine /pad/to/program.exe %F
    and it doesn't work, but it works with

Code:
    sh -c "env WINEPREFIX='/home/valit/.wine' wine '/path/to/gMKVExtractGUI/gMKVExtractGUI.exe'" %F
    it works.

To me mkv extractor qt5 works fine with Linux.
    yes it works, but the output files always have the same name. when i demux 2 or more files in the same folder, the demuxed files overwrite each other. all other (windows) demuxen i know include the input file name in the output file name.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes it works, but the output files always have the same name. when i demux 2 or more files in the same folder, the demuxed files overwrite each other. all other (windows) demuxen i know include the input file name in the output file name.
    What your doing is called batch (multiple files, same task)? inviska can do this

mkv extractor qt5 can do this too, open the files one by one, right click in the sourcelist window and select all, go to file en select a different output folder
    Last edited by jan5678; 11th Feb 2018 at 08:57.
    Quote Quote  
  6. no. batch is when i import an file, select the streams i want to demux and send that to a batch list. then i do the same with the next file and send it also to the batch list. after that i start the batch.

i can't find something like this in mkvextractor-qt5.

what i mean is that the output names are always the same

2_audio_English.aac
    doesn't matter whats the nae of the input file. when i have 2 mkv files in the same directory and demux both with mkvextractor-qt5 the output files have the same name so the output of the second file overwrites the output of the first file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oke i understand, maybe you should report this behavior to the maker of mkv extract qt5? i think it's a design flaw

Did you tried it with inviska?, i can't test it because i have mkvtoolnix v20 installed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. not at the moment. i also use mkvtoolnix 20. maybe i'll test it on my notebook, its a little bit out of date and the mkvtoolnix version should be older.
    Quote Quote