VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since Freemake prevented the use of their older version 3, and version 4* does not work as an editor, I've had to resort to WLMM 2012, and it cannot play/edit/save the following:

I download live wildlife cams with Jaksta Media Recorder. Whether they are saved in flv or mp4, WLMM cannot handle them (sometimes I can get a pixellated view). I have tried installing K-Lite Codec, both the full and basic versions, but that's made no difference.

I realise that WLMM is no longer supported by Microsoft, but does anyone know if there's a fix? I understand that WLMM 2012 will not take plug-ins but that 6 did, however it looks as tho that version will handle only a couple of formats, like wmv, which is no good to me.

*Since they've been selling "packs" for various features of version 4, it's stopped working altogether! I was using version 3 to scan very long files, extract and join clips with fade transitions - it was brilliant, now I'm stymied.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are free converters that accept most formats and converts them into a file that WLMM can handle. Have you googled it?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No I haven't googled for converters, TreeTops, because that's not what I need - it would take far too long to convert first (it's not unusual for my downloaded streams to be 10 hours long), it needs to be handled by the editor, which is what Freemake used to do.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which editors have you tried other than Fremake and various versions of WMM? What is your budget? Are your computer details current?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Which editors have you tried other than Fremake and various versions of WMM? What is your budget? Are your computer details current?
    Sorry I'm late! Really up against it here

Eek I've updated my computer details, years out-of-date:

DELL XPS 9560 with 3840x2160 display
    W10
    i7-7700HQ
    1TB SSD
    32GB RAM

I've tried many editors, too many to remember. Problems with most of them are (1) I can't understand them (probably AdobePremiere fell in that category, I did try it a couple of years ago), (2) they do not provide a large/clear enough preview for me to pick out details, (3) they cannot scan smoothly but skip along long files. Also, every time I install a program I have to shut everything else down, including streams that I am downloading 24/7 with Jaksta.

I've bought Machete and Bandicut, neither can cope. How "ironic" (wrong word, I know) that free programs can do what they can't.

I think it was Wondershare that said they couldn't do what I needed, after I queried when trial failed.

Brorsoft opens up so tiny on my QHD screen that I can't read it so can't even try it out. DaVinciResolve and HitFilm were no good for me.

WMM is adequate for screen-captures, which I do with Bandicam and Debut in continuous one-hour clips, but it cannot handle Jaksta downloads. I am therefore surrounded by laptops, all using bandwidth and electricity, all having to accommodate WinUpdates and glitches and the disruptions they entail, when Jaksta can download many streams on one laptop... if only I could edit them!

Ugh!
    Quote Quote  
  6. "if only I could edit them!"

Then back to my post #2.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried successor of Movie maker? It is called Story Remix. I think it is in Win10 after Fall creator's update. Have not experience with it, but probably good enough for you purpose.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Have you tried successor of Movie maker? It is called Story Remix. I think it is in Win10 after Fall creator's update. Have not experience with it, but probably good enough for you purpose.

It's not called "Story Remix", apparently, but is part of Photos, which only shows pictures that are in Libraries or OneDrive You can't call up a video from any folder on your hard drive, you have to import folders into a Library and I do not want data files cluttering up my C drive. It seems to be very far from a replacement for WMM. Do have a look, maybe you can enlighten me?

TreeTops - I do have Tipard Video Converter, which, years ago, used to make difficult VLC files much easier to navigate, but WMM doesn't like its files even tho they're mp4 It's not something I could use as routine, however good it may be, as it takes too long to convert.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is part of photos, but it is at least code name Story Remix.
    There are I think enough tutorials on youtube... I will not spend time to watch them, I'm satisfied with kdenlive, bue I saw some, and it is very easy and straight forward.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 13th Feb 2018 at 13:31. Reason: There are ...
    Quote Quote