VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, I have an MP4 that I am trying to move into Adobe Encore CS6 for authoring to blu-ray. I am transcoding in Premiere before moving to Encore because Encore is so much slower.

So when transcoding, I am using the settings closest to the source video but when I come to frame rate, I have an issue. Premiere is giving the auto setting (or at least is shows it will) make the video into 59.94 FPS The original frame rate is 29.97 FPS.

Should I let Premiere choose the appropriate setting, or choose from the 23.97, 24, or 59.94 FPS options it is giving me???? What will be the consequences of each setting?
    Last edited by yearofthespider2k3; 9th Feb 2018 at 22:17.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3 View Post
    So, I have an MP4 that I am trying to move into Adobe Encore CS6 for authoring to blu-ray. I am transcoding in Encore before moving to Premiere because Premiere is so much slower.
    Why ? You would have to encode it again in Premiere to export back to Encore anyways (or dynamic link to Encore and Encore will encode it again) , but either way you lose quality twice . It's avoidable quality loss and actually slower

So when transcoding, I am using the settings closest to the source video but when I come to frame rate, I have an issue. Premiere is giving the auto setting (or at least is shows it will) make the video into 59.94 FPS The original frame rate is 29.97 FPS.

Should I let Premiere choose the appropriate setting, or choose from the 23.97, 24, or 59.94 FPS options it is giving me???? What will be the consequences of each setting?

What was your original source ? 1280x720p29.97 ?

Strictly speaking, 29.97p is not compliant for BD. At any dimension. So usually either frames are duplicated for 1280x720p59.94 , or it's encoded and/or flagged as interlaced if you had 1920x1080p29.97 content . (There is another fancy of authoring 1280x720p29.97 with a repeat frame flag so it "looks" like 59.94 for compatibility but you only encode 1/2 the frames, thus higher quality at a given bitrate, but Encore doesn't support it)

If frame blending off this will duplicate frames to make up the 59.94. That is preferred. If you forget and have frame blending on, it will add a blended frame between each original frame. This is usually unwanted because it will look "strobey" with the ghosted frame in between

23.976 and 24 are not evenly divisible into your original 29.97 so it will be choppy motion (dropped frames) , so don't use those
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry! I made an edit to the original post. I meant starting with video in Premiere and moving to Encore after transcode.

The original video is 1280x720. So I should turn off frame blending and tell it to work up to 59.94
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3 View Post
    Sorry! I made an edit to the original post. I meant starting with video in Premiere and moving to Encore after transcode.

The original video is 1280x720. So I should turn off frame blending and tell it to work up to 59.94
    yes
    Quote Quote  
  5. Excellent. That appeared to work. Video looks fine to me now. However, I'd like your take on the audio being out of sync.... what do you use to correct that, OR did I do something wrong to make that happen? It makes sense to me that the audio would be a little screwy since we basically added in more frames....
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You added in more frames AND changed the framerate. E.g. 1sec = 30 frames at 30fps. Duplicating each frame and then doubling the framerate is 60frames at 60fps = 1 sec.*
    Therefore, if you did it right, should be exactly the same length. And, If done right, audio should not be out of sync unless it already had previously been out of sync.

Scott

*Used non-fractional framerates for easier math in example.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So, I've been doing some reading and I think handbrake might be the best solution for this. If not, I wouldn't mind being redirected. I literally checked off EXACTLY what @poisondeathray said. It came up all crazy. So, what I am wondering is if the original video might have had a "variable frame rate" that would have caused the sync error? I do know that Encore and Premier are both a little silly and to some extent "buggy" and I wonder if the programs inadequacies may have contributed to that or if indeed there are other settings I need to look at....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3 View Post
    So, I've been doing some reading and I think handbrake might be the best solution for this.
    Unlikely...

If not, I wouldn't mind being redirected. I literally checked off EXACTLY what @poisondeathray said. It came up all crazy. So, what I am wondering is if the original video might have had a "variable frame rate" that would have caused the sync error? I do know that Encore and Premier are both a little silly and to some extent "buggy" and I wonder if the programs inadequacies may have contributed to that or if indeed there are other settings I need to look at....
    What does mediainfo say about the original ? (view=>text , copy & paste the text back here)
    Quote Quote  
  9. General
    Complete name : C:\Users\CALZAGHE\2008-04-19 - Joe Calzaghe vs. Bernard Hopkins.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 2.00 GiB
    Duration : 1h 39mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 2 881 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2017-09-14 17:43:08
    Tagged date : UTC 2017-09-14 17:43:08
    gsst : 0
    gstd : 5968920

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=60
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 2 687 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 9 490 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.097
    Stream size : 1.87 GiB (93%)
    Tagged date : UTC 2017-09-14 17:44:03
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709
    Color range : Limited

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 202 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 137 MiB (7%)
    Title : IsoMedia File Produced by Google, 5-11-2011
    Encoded date : UTC 2017-09-14 17:43:45
    Tagged date : UTC 2017-09-14 17:44:03
    Quote Quote  
  10. That looks ok in terms of constant frame rate.

Is there a sync issue in a media player ? (e.g. mpchc, potplayer, vlc,,,)

Is there a sync issue in premiere pro preview ?

Or is there a sync issue only after you encode it with premiere ?

What type of sync issues ? Describe the sync problem .
    Quote Quote  
  11. The audio is fine in the original file. No problems from beginning to end. After the transcode, from mp4 to h.264 59.95, the problem is found.

The audio appears to be slightly off from the get go and the problem continues until at the near end, I would say the audio is about 3.5 to maximum of 4 seconds earlier than the picture.

The sync issue is showing in premiere preview.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3 View Post

The audio appears to be slightly off from the get go and the problem continues until at the near end, I would say the audio is about 3.5 to maximum of 4 seconds earlier than the picture.
    If it's a constant delay issue, you can shift the audio. But that is a massive sync issue

The audio has to be re-encoded too at some point, because AAC is incompatible with BD

The sync issue is showing in premiere preview.
    only after the encode, or in the original as well ? If premiere has the issue with the original file before encoding, then it's a decoding issue with PP

After the transcode, from mp4 to h.264 59.95, the problem is found.
    Is that a typo ? It should be 59.94 or 60000/1001 exactly

How are you determining if it's in sync afterwards ? Many programs cannot play elementary files

What happens when you import the elementary video and re-encoded audio into an encore timeline ? Check there
    Quote Quote  
  13. The audio is in WAV format after transcode with Premiere. It is a progressive issue.

The original file is fine and after the encode is when the problem appears.

That was a typo. It is 59.94 and NOT 59.95. So I take the newly encoded files back to Premiere and the preview there shows the progressive sync issue.
    I tried what you said above and put the video and audio into encore timeline and shows to be out of sync there as well. As far as how I am determining the sync issue, I'm just using premiere and Encore.

I have a thought, perhaps this might help..... What if I mux the audio and video together and see if that works? It occurred to me that there could be something that is causing the issue when I have two separate streams.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Authoring programs actually prefer elementary (separate) streams. If you import both in a single container, they have to demux then remux as part of the process anyways

If you import both elementary streams into Encore, and it's out of sync there (there will be a stream length mismatch if there is a progressive sync issue), then obviously there is a problem with the conversion by PP

Did you let Encore try doing everything ?

Otherwise you can use external tools like x264, ffmpeg etc...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok. Man, I really appreciate your help. Maybe someday, with some perseverance and dedication I can be as helpful to someone as you've been to me. The issue being in PP is my final answer as well.

So, what I am doing now is using video re-do (my favorite program of all time!) to bump the frame-rate to 59.94 and encoding as h.264 mp4. That should get it close enough so that the video will work in encore without the audio issue. I will update after that and let you know how it goes...
    Quote Quote  
  16. OK.... anyone ready for the fix???? Premiere has a bug with MP4. For some reason, when you give the file the extension .mov instead of MP4 it clears it up. Obviously with video-redo, it still didn't work so I went back to drawing board.
    Quote Quote  
  17. What happens if just drag the MP4 directly into an Encore timeline? or let Encore just do everything automatically ?

Are you using older version of PP ? What version ? Newer versions have no problems with MP4 . If you're using a very old version I would consider using other tools

Or another possibility is a glitch in your MP4 . It might playback ok (seek recovery in media player, or error correction) , but when encoding there might be a large enough discontinunity to cause the problem
    Quote Quote  
  18. I don't use Encore anymore, but I doubt the workflow would be much different. For 29.97p sources, I make sure to resize if needed to 1280x720 then double the frame rate to 59.94p. I don't really like the false flag method. I am not sure why you are using PP unless you are doing a bunch of edits. Otherwise, an Avisynth workflow with the x264 cli using one of the BD compliant scripts (just search the web) should work flawlessly. And if you don't need to resize you shouldn't even need Avisynth. But then again using the MainConcept encoder bundled in AME is probably an acceptable solution as well.

BDAV authoring isn't hard, but there are enough questions on this site that someone should post a guide and make it a sticky.

And to echo pdr, yes, you should encode the video and audio separately.

Finally, if Encore flags either the audio or video needing to be encoded, you did something wrong. As a rule, you should not let the authoring program encode the video or audio.
    Quote Quote