VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all, i am an artist in the UK and want to use CCTV as part of an installation.

Basically, i want to have the CCTV pointing at some stairs, with the feed playing on an old TV round the corner, but on a delay. Say 20 seconds delay perhaps.

Is that possible? And if so, what equipment do i need?

Many thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You need a video camera, a computer, and the TV. Particulars depend on what kind of signal the camera generates and the age of the TV — does it accept composite video or antenna only? For software, check out Live Video Delay. You might also be able to do this with VLC's streaming feature which has a configurable delay.
    Last edited by JVRaines; 9th Feb 2018 at 15:19.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    You need a video camera, a computer, and the TV. Particulars depend on what kind of signal the camera generates and the age of the TV — does it accept composite video or antenna only? For software, check out Live Video Delay. You might also be able to do this with VLC's streaming feature which has a configurable delay.

Thanks for your reply! So a video camera, not a CCTV camera? And the wire goes from camera to a computer where i use Zachpoff software to set a delay time, which then feeds to a TV?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, that's the general idea. Any sort of camera that will work with the computer. I'm not sure Live Video Delay goes as high as 20 seconds, though. You'd have to experiment.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think you can use an IP security camera and VLC as a player (or other media player). Start streaming with VLC, pause for ~20 seconds (a few seconds less as there is an inherent delay when streaming), then continue.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    VLC's Display module has a delay option in milliseconds when called from the CLI.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    VLC's Display module has a delay option in milliseconds when called from the CLI.
    But does it start reading the stream, then delay before displaying it? Or does it delay before starting to read the stream and displaying it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. VLC also has the ability to capture from a video capture device or webcam, and to stream video across a network. So it could be used to capture from a webcam and stream to another device (in lieu of an IP camera). I believe you an even specify a cache size to automatically give the 20 second delay.

Search youtube for "vlc streaming webcam" or similar and you'll see lots of tutorials.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Feb 2018 at 19:36.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks so much for all your help.

Just tested the VLC thing and the delay works great!!

So I want to play the laptop feed onto old TVs (three of them probably) now googling around, i can get a HDMI splitter and also a HDMI to VGA (so it connects to the old TV) what i want to know is, will the HDMI splitter play ALL of them at once, or will it only play one ?

On photos there is a select button, for HDMI 1, 2 & 3....so i wasnt sure!
    Quote Quote  
  10. A true splitter (sometimes called a distribution amplifier) will display on all outputs at the same time. And it usually doesn't have any switches. If there's a switch on the device it's probably a multiple input, single output switch.

HDMI splitter (one in, four out):
    https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Movcle-Adapter-Powered-Certified/dp/B0180PPTNO/

HDMI switch (three in, one out):
    https://www.amazon.com/Switch-GANA-Splitter-Pigtail-Supports/dp/B06VX1PKQ7/
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Feb 2018 at 08:08.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LizzBrady View Post
    So I want to play the laptop feed onto old TVs (three of them probably) now googling around, i can get a HDMI splitter and also a HDMI to VGA (so it connects to the old TV) what i want to know is, will the HDMI splitter play ALL of them at once, or will it only play one ?
    I guess everything is relative. VGA doesn't make an "old" TV to me. Here is the input connection on an old TV:

[Attachment 44651 - Click to enlarge]

I once used a couple of these old TVs in a museum exhibit playing video from the 1970s.
    Quote Quote  
  12. You can also get a VGA distribution amp like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Splitter-Amplifier-Multiplier-300MHz/dp/B002NJX3XW/

Keep in mind there's a limit on the length of HDMI and VGA cables. Roughly 30 to 50 feet. For longer runs you'll need repeaters.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Feb 2018 at 09:37.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    I guess everything is relative. VGA doesn't make an "old" TV to me. Here is the input connection on an old TV:

I once used a couple of these old TVs in a museum exhibit playing video from the 1970s.

Haha yes that is an old one!!

Sounds like a cool exhibit!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A true splitter (sometimes called a distribution amplifier) will display on all outputs at the same time. And it usually doesn't have any switches. If there's a switch on the device it's probably a multiple input, single output switch.

HDMI splitter (one in, four out):
    https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Movcle-Adapter-Powered-Certified/dp/B0180PPTNO/

HDMI switch (three in, one out):
    https://www.amazon.com/Switch-GANA-Splitter-Pigtail-Supports/dp/B06VX1PKQ7/
    Great info there, thanks Jagabo! I need a splitter then. Good job i didnt purchase the switch one....

Ok so im getting the stuff this week and will try it out as soon as possible.

Thanks so much for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Haha yes that is an old one!!

Sounds like a cool exhibit!
    It was pretty cool. The RCA we found abandoned on a curb lasted for two years!
    Quote Quote