VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the dvd for mannix however when I hook the

Ezcap 172 USB 2.0 Audio Video Capture Recorder Device VHS to DVD Maker Converter Adapter For VCR DVR VHS DVD TV Camcorder Game Box Videos to PC Work With Windows 10/8/7/Vista
    device to my computer then to a home dvd player. the sound is out of syc with the spoken words how can I put them in sync? What Software do I need to use to do this? how do adjust the sync rate to match them? How do I use the disk for this ? John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you capturing a DVD via analog?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Why are you capturing a DVD via analog?
    Yeah, simply use AnyDVD, DVDFab, or even old DVD Decrypter does what you need. You get exact copy of the already in MPEG-2 coded Video.

If you want a simple MKV file use my personally favourite MakeMKV
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The EZCap will connect the computer to the home dvd, the sound should be out of sync. What piece of software can I use to sync up the sound? John
    Quote Quote  
  5. As I already said, don‘t capture a dvd, simply insert the discs to the dvd drive of your pc and copy it with the tools I already mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The dsc is unplayable (due to scratches) in my computers optical drive. But is playable in a home dvd, so I use a capture device and a home dvd player. John
    Quote Quote  
  7. This is not something you can easily adjust or fix.

I understand what you are trying to do: I have needed to do this myself occasionally with certain defective TV series discs. Sometimes making an analog copy from anything that will at least play the disc is the only way to ensure a good archive copy that plays without skipping on all devices.

The problem is somewhere in the EZcap. Either it doesn't "like" the signal coming out of your DVD player, and is losing audio sync during the capture, or the software that creates a dvd from that capture is losing sync when it creates the dvd files for you. Look carefully at the options available in the dvd creation software: is there any tab or checkbox with phrasing like "Audio Track>Edit>Ignore Audio Delay For This Track"? If there is, check it to prevent sync issues, and this may solve the problem (or if its already checked, try unchecking it: dvd creation software can be perverse).

When I need to make such "repair copies" from a dvd player, I find the easiest most-reliable way is to just connect a standalone dvd recorder and make a direct disc-to-disc analog copy. This avoids any software sync problems.

Better method, see if you can try playing or copying the problem dvd in other computers. Just because your drive will not play it doesn't mean all PCs will not play it. In my experience with defective or scratched TV dvds, computer drives are typically much more likely to play them than standard TV-connected players (your case is unusual). If you find another computer (friends? family?) that can play this disc, use the software recommended by flashandpan007 to make a clean digital copy (digital dupes are not prone to sync problems).

If you don't have access to another computer, consider buying a cheap external usb dvd drive to see if it might work better than the one built into your PC. I have had good success with the LG GP50, costs $23 new at Amazon or as little as $15 on eBay. Worth a try.

Note with this type of defective dvd, computer drives can be deceptive. Sometimes they won't be able to play the dvd normally, but when running dvd duplication software they can somehow get past the defects to make a decent copy. You need to try every possible way to make a backup.
    Last edited by orsetto; 15th Feb 2018 at 13:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    The dsc is unplayable (due to scratches) in my computers optical drive. But is playable in a home dvd, so I use a capture device and a home dvd player. John
    That simply means that you computer optical drive is failing.
    If the discs reads on a DVD player, it will read in a better DVD ROM/burner.

This isn't something you should do. Don't go digital>analog>digital.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    If the discs reads on a DVD player, it will read in a better DVD ROM/burner.

This isn't something you should do. Don't go digital>analog>digital.
    97% of the time this is true, but some TV series disc sets come from the ninth circle of hell.

They can have inherent playback problems due to defective pressing, often mistaken by buyers for "scratches". Defective pressing combined with boneheaded studio authoring can lead to extremely difficult direct digital backup using a PC, yet if you get lucky the problem disc might play through using one random standalone player (but not others).

If multiple PCs consistently stall at unreadable errors in the same places on a new TV disc, and you also have trouble with it in standalone players, until you find ONE standalone that miraculously plays it all all the way through (or most of it by stopping and starting), that may be the only path to an everyday "user" disc. Use that player to capture the analog signal to another device (dvd recorder or capture system). PQ will degrade, and you may lose a few minutes here and there around the defect points (if the unit freezes and you need to skip ahead to continue play), but its better than not having a smoothly playable disc at all.

Of course you can cobble together something similar digitally using a PC, but tends to be a lot harder or sometimes impossible with certain TV disc defects. Software rippers (and most drives) have a hard time with "partial rips" or attempts to skip over pressing defects. The closest I've been able to come on occasion is if the defect is localized to just one episode of a disc: if the software is told to omit that episode from the rip, the rip proceeds without incident about half the time. But even if successful, that still leaves you with a missing episode, and back we go to analog dubbing again. Sure, you can sit and pull your hair out with PC tools like ISObuster in hopes it will somehow cut thru the defect, but it ends up being wasted effort more often than not. When Hollywood screws up a TV series disc, they can REALLY screw it up.

Exchanging sets accomplishes nothing, because the errors are often in the same spots thru the entire production run. These errors aren't from anti-copy measures: they're actual dumb, sloppy pressing defects. The only case where exchanging sets may solve a problem is if the defects are random (caused by embedded debris or misaligned sides). In that scenario, you might eventually gather enough "good" discs to form one complete set from three or four source sets. But then you're stuck trying to unload the several defective sets.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Use ISObuster and create a managed copy using multiple drives. Often gets troublesome “scratched” discs. Much better option than D->A->D capturing, quality-wise, if you get it to work. But don’t count it out if you haven’t yet tried it.

Scott
    Quote Quote