VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've converted one of my movies from .mkv to .mp4. I used MKVToolNix for lossless conversion, and the end result looks great, but the file is missing all of its properties. I can no longer go into the "properties" tab and see its resolution, framerate, etc. The thumbnail (the image that is shown as the file icon) is also gone. Is there any software to detect these things and set them automatically, or a way to do it myself?

Another question: I'm converting to .mp4 for compatibility reasons. Will simply repackaging the video and audio streams into the mp4 container help video players that could not play the original .mkv?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by terribleProgrammer View Post
    I've converted one of my movies from .mkv to .mp4. I used MKVToolNix for lossless conversion
    MKVToolNix cannot convert mkv to mp4, only mp4 to mkv. You can try BOX4, ffmpeg etc.

Originally Posted by terribleProgrammer View Post
    Another question: I'm converting to .mp4 for compatibility reasons. Will simply repackaging the video and audio streams into the mp4 container help video players that could not play the original .mkv?
    Sometimes, not always. Depends on the file (mp4 and mkv are just containers, they can hold lots of different types of streams, metadata and also muxing characteristics aren't always the same) and your player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    In addition, the range of supported content formats is very wide for the MKV container, but rather narrow for the MP4 container.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Try this, it might solve your problem - http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Aww, nooo - pseudo freeware with ads. There is so much real freeware without.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    MKVToolNix cannot convert mkv to mp4, only mp4 to mkv. You can try BOX4, ffmpeg etc.
    It seems you were correct. I was able to convert using ffmpeg. The file thumbnail is still missing, but I realize that this is a problem with my operating system, not the software I use to convert. Now at least the other properties are there.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
    Quote Quote