VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey Guys!

Im a relative Newbie when it comes to video encoding but I have dabbled in the past so I have a (very) basic understanding.

I have recently purchased a new smart TV which I have discovered I can play videos from my network via dlna. I have a handfull of mkv videos most of which are compatible. However there are 2 which I have issues with.

The first ones audio is encoded useing TrueHD which my TV doesnt support. The file is a remux which I understand is basically a direct rip from a dvd, I presume this means the video is not encoded so all I need to do is unpackage the mkv file, re-encode the audio then repackage it, is this correct? If so, what would be the best way to do this with minimum qulity loss?

The second file is also an mkv remux, this one does play but my TV says that it does not support the resume feature, so I cant resume the video from where I left off. Only a minor anoyance but I was curious what part of the MKV allows resume, as all my other mkv files resume fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To fix the TrueHD sound to say AC3 you the Popcorn Audio converter it does it in situ and leaves the video alone. You should also get MKVToolNix in case you need to remux a MKV file and remove elements you don't need like 6 different subtitle tracks or extra audio etc. If your TV media player section doesn't have resume play (this is not a function of MKV files but rather the media player used) you could add chapters to your MKV files if they don't already have them. Not sure if your TV has a Next button for file play back but it my be worth a try. Chapterizer https://www.videohelp.com/software/MKV-Chapterizer will do it and you can set any time interval like every 5 minutes or 10 etc...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you very much for your help. I will check out the software you suggested.

In regards to the resume feature, that's exactly what I thought, but I only have issues with resuming the one mkv file, the other mkv files I have resume fine, so there must be something different about this one file which is stopping me from resuming?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post a MediaInfo report on the troublesome file.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. TrueHD:
    Like netmask56 said you can convert TrueHD to AC3 using various softwares like Popcorn Audio converter or BOX4. Since you are saying it is a remux there may be a chance the track is already TrueHD with an AC3 core (MakeMKV creates such files). If you open them in MKVToolNix GUI you will see an TrueHD and an AC3 track if that is the case. Then you can simply deactivate the TrueHD track and mux.

Resume:
    I've mostly seen it with older players that don't like newer mkv features. In MKVToolNix GUI go Preferences -> Multiplexer -> Default values and there set additional command-line options:
    --clusters-in-meta-seek --engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position --disable-track-statistics-tags
    Restart the app and then simply mux the mkv file.

In both cases MediaInfo (use "View"->"Text") could give you some (not 100% definite) hints as it may show if the TrueHD has an AC3 core and whether or not the Matroska version is v2 or v4.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Awesome! I bow to the masters!

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!
    Quote Quote