VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, I hope I'm i the right section.

I'm trying to save some old 8mm camcorder tapes and was going to capture them, but I have an issue with my camcorder. It's an old Samsung VP-W60 and the issue is that I'm only getting audio out of one speaker when I hook it up to various devices.

The connection for output on the camcorder is from a single 1/8inch A/V out jack socket which carries the video and the audio as well. I tried no less than three cables (one bought only today) but the audio still only comes out of one speaker.

I've tried it on my computer and on my TV to see if the problem persisted and it did. I'm using an 18/inch jack to composite/component (red, white. yellow) cable and that is plugged into a composite -> scart adaptor which is then plugged into my TV. The same issue happens when I plug direct into the computer using the composite.

Could the camcorder itself be at fault? I'd hate to think so because it would lave me stuck.

Many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. That camera records in mono and your plug is probably stereo. Your best bet is probably to ignore the right channel and get an additional splitter for the left.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ahh ok thanks. The footage was actually recorded on another camcorder (a Sony I think) but regardless I'll just do as you say. Would it be the same result if I just duplicated the audio track and flipped the stereo image of one of them and then exported?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Krenzathal View Post
    Ahh ok thanks. The footage was actually recorded on another camcorder (a Sony I think) but regardless I'll just do as you say. Would it be the same result if I just duplicated the audio track and flipped the stereo image of one of them and then exported?
    If it was recorded on a different camera, it's possible the audio is actually stereo but your W60 obviously can't play it back.

Not sure what you mean by "flipped the stereo image." You could certainly duplicate the "good" channel onto a second track during editing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's much easier to get a stereo Hi8/Video8 camcorder or a Digital8 camcorder with Hi8/Video8 playback, I just picked one up locally for $20 to transfer some tapes.
    Quote Quote