VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I have a daily task of reviewing a variety of news programming and from that I need to capture certain highlights. I have a GTX950 2G GPU and was wondering if the game capture capabilities of Nvidia cards would help me do this?

Ideally the easiest thing for me would be to cue up the programming (avi, mkv, mp4 files) in full screen mode and somehow be able to record/pause with a hotkey combo to a single output file. Volume may need to be normalized afterwards, resolution differences are not important. Dunno, I would really like to avoid creating individual clips and then trying to combine them.

Is there an easy way to do this? I dont have the time to be screwing around with software suites and or splitting/combining avi's etc. TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you're doing this on a daily basis -- get a real NLE -- Premiere, Vegas, etc. It will save you hours of grief and more than pay for itself.

It's not clear why you need a capture card since all the files you've described are already digital.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    If you're doing this on a daily basis -- get a real NLE -- Premiere, Vegas, etc. It will save you hours of grief and more than pay for itself.

It's not clear why you need a capture card since all the files you've described are already digital.
    Didnt say I needed a "capture card" I just need to capture/record what's playing on screen. I guess you missed the whole dont have time to learn a new software suite thing. If I did, I would go open source anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you mean Nvidia ShadowPlay? Reading one of the guides, ShadowPlay doesn't seem like something which would be useful for making screen captures from random news shows. ShadowPlay is screen recorder/screen capture software designed specifically for making screenshots and short clips of game highlights. It is unlikely that clips are saved in a big file containing many clips. They are probably saved individually. Given the questions that you are asking about ShadowPlay, it doesn't seem like you have used it, so you would have to learn something.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Do you mean Nvidia ShadowPlay? Reading one of the guides, ShadowPlay doesn't seem like something which would be useful for making screen captures from random news shows. ShadowPlay is screen recorder/screen capture software designed specifically for making screenshots and short clips of game highlights. It is unlikely that clips are saved in a big file containing many clips. They are probably saved individually. Given the questions that you are asking about ShadowPlay, it doesn't seem like you have used it, so you would have to learn something.
    I have used it in game, never for what I am talking about, which is basically having a FS recording session in the background that I can pause/resume. I thought someone here would know if any of the Nvidia utils would work. Basically I just need a "screen recorder" if there is such a thing. Even if a utility did make individual clips, merging them would only be one more step so thats acceptable.

In any event I found a util called faststone capture, so will try that, seems to do what I want. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did a little more searching and found some YouTube tutorials explaining how to use ShadowPlay to record the screen when a game is not being played:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czGFyXd8kfo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNepPm9dpZc

So, it is possible to use ShadowPlay record the screen. However, with no NVIDIA video card, I can't try it myself to see if it works well for that.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by canadian1969 View Post

Didnt say I needed a "capture card" I just need to capture/record what's playing on screen. I guess you missed the whole dont have time to learn a new software suite thing. If I did, I would go open source anyway.
    If you're doing this on a daily basis -- get a real NLE -- Premiere, Vegas, etc. It will save you hours of grief and more than pay for itself.
    Quote Quote