VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, can you recommend me an editor which will be able to work with 2K videos on PC with Core i5 8G ram Win 10 64 bit? I tried few free editors like Gopro Studio, Windows moviemaker, VSDC, Blender but it is like a nightmare. None of them works without trouble with so large files. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 2K on an i5 with 8GB RAM? Not going to happen easily. You might consider a proxy editing workflow, linking back to your source files before final output.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Čamo View Post
    Hi, can you recommend me an editor which will be able to work with 2K videos on PC with Core i5 8G ram Win 10 64 bit? I tried few free editors like Gopro Studio, Windows moviemaker, VSDC, Blender but it is like a nightmare. None of them works without trouble with so large files. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    People call 2048×1080, 2304x1440 and 2560×1440 "2K video". 2048×1080 isn't much higher resolution than full HD, 1920x1080. 2304x1440 and 2560×1440 are also called QHD and WQHD respectively. Please clarify what you mean by "2K".
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Your computer is underpowered for editing anything over HD. Apart from a fast processor, you need plenty of RAM and a GPU with plenty of VRAM. If you shot your footage using Variable Frame Rate instead of Constant Frame Rate you are adding more work for your processor. There are also many edit programmes that will not run Variable Frame Rate footage without it being transcoded first to a Constant Frame Rate.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  5. 2K means 2048x1080

It is not good. It seems i have not enough ram... So I have another question. What about Full HD 90/60fps? Is my PC able to work with it?

Thanks to all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See post #2. That's your only option.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok I know what is it proxy in editor. But not all editors have this ability. Which?

But my last question was about Full HD 90/60fps? Am I able to work with this setting on my PC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use a utility like AviDemux to render out the low-rez proxy.
    Last edited by budwzr; 9th Feb 2018 at 07:00.
    Quote Quote  
  9. What about Filmora? Have somebody experience with this editor? Is it able to edit 90/60fps full hd (on my PC)? Is able to work with low resolution files like proxy?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Čamo View Post
    What about Filmora? Have somebody experience with this editor? Is it able to edit 90/60fps full hd (on my PC)? Is able to work with low resolution files like proxy?
    Don't waste your money. Avoid video software from companies like Wondershare, iSkySoft, Aimersoft, etc. These companies spam relentlessly and pretend to offer help with other software, which redirects Internet searches to a page which promotes their competing product. If their products were good enough to be recommended based on their merits, they would not need to resort to such tactics to gain customers.

Most of the people responding to your post are recommending that you use a non-linear editor, such as Movie Studio Platinum, which offers proxy editing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Feb 2018 at 12:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IMO, there are NO full-featured NLEs that are free/opensource. Lightwave is kind of, but to unlock the full features costs something. Things like AVIDemux, Vdub, etc are very handy, but not legitimately "full-featured" as far as journeyman/master, day-in-day-out, mission-critical, smooth workflow editing is concerned.
    And the bar is higher for full 2k/4k+ assets.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. BlackMagic Davinci Resolve works fine with intel i5's according with their own brochure.
    Code:
    Dell Precision 7720
    Intel Core i5 or i7
    32GB minimum system RAM
    NVIDIA Quadro; 8GB GDD5 GPU
    512GB SSD minimum system hard drive
    I'm doing fine with a Radeon R7 250, no lags, slowdown, nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Movie Studio Platinum 14 is on sale for $39.99 from vegascreativesoftware.com via download. Filmora's non-watermark version costs more.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I have a Sony laptop 2.9GHz and 5GB RAM and I've editing HD and 2K for quite a while now up to 60p.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Čamo View Post
    None of them works without trouble with so large files. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Please be more specific, describe your problem with useful details. What do you mean by term "trouble" - noisy neighbour?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kdenlive now has a Windows version and also a Flatpak release. I can't speak for the Windows version, but on Linux it works well and has everything most people would want from an NLE, including clip stabilisation. It will automatically generate proxy clips if required and render from the originals with no extra operator input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Resolve (lite) & kdenlive. Good examples. I stand corrected.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by amaipaipai View Post
    BlackMagic Davinci Resolve works fine with intel i5's according with their own brochure.
    Code:
    Dell Precision 7720
    Intel Core i5 or i7
    32GB minimum system RAM
    NVIDIA Quadro; 8GB GDD5 GPU
    512GB SSD minimum system hard drive
    I'm doing fine with a Radeon R7 250, no lags, slowdown, nothing.
    Yep. But look at that GPU and RAM.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Yes, that's why I'm doing fine with half of that memory and a cheap entry level video card for 2k jobs.

That specs are for jobs with non-compressed material, movie studio grade stuff. For mortal humans like us, there's no need for all that.
    Quote Quote  
  20. amaipaipai Ok Davinci resolve. I have it and going to try it. Thx.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by amaipaipai View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Yes, that's why I'm doing fine with half of that memory and a cheap entry level video card for 2k jobs.

That specs are for jobs with non-compressed material, movie studio grade stuff. For mortal humans like us, there's no need for all that.
    For simple cuts and pastes, you might well be ok. But many pros roll their own original content in the NLE, and need realtime playback while editing.

Playback of unrendered content, I think is the mark.
    Last edited by budwzr; 12th Feb 2018 at 13:07.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    For simple cuts and pastes, you might well be ok. But many pros roll their own original content in the NLE, and need realtime playback while editing.
    Playback of unrendered content, I think is the mark.
    Davinci does a lot of realtime using basic hardware and goes way beyond simple cuts and pastes. Many pros I know are already moving from Adobe products to Blackmagic's, all the powerful tools are builtin in Davinci for free. Maybe the only restriction with a limited hardware would be Fusion, but still, is up to him to try out.
    Quote Quote