VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am completely new to the forum, so forgive me if this is the wrong area to be posting this.

I want to learn how to convert Blu-Ray files to MKV, preferably, or at least some other format which is actually playable on the PC.

Is this possible to do with MKVToolNix?!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use VidCoder.

But other members may give you better advice about MKVToolNix.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I use VidCoder.

But other members may give you better advice about MKVToolNix.
    I was instructed to use MakeMKV, which is free until February, which worked.

I was informed that MKVToolNix only lets you manipulate MKV files, so it isn't very useful in this situation.

Does VidCoder allow me to convert "movie objects" (or Blu-Ray files) to MKV or other formats?!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by tOkyO1 View Post
    I was informed that MKVToolNix only lets you manipulate MKV files, so it isn't very useful in this situation.
    It only creates MKV files. It takes almost anything as input.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by tOkyO1 View Post
    Okay, sweet! I'll download it right now
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by tOkyO1 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Keep in mind that MkvToolNix does not re-encode the audio or video. It just takes the streams out of the source container and re-multiplexes them into an MKV container. Hence the MKV audio and video will be exactly the same quality as the Blu-ray source. And about the same size. If you're looking to squeeze a 25 GB Blu-ray rip down to a 5 GB MKV you need to re-encode, not re-mux.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Keep in mind that MkvToolNix does not re-encode the audio or video. It just takes the streams out of the source container and re-multiplexes them into an MKV container. Hence the MKV audio and video will be exactly the same quality as the Blu-ray source. And about the same size. If you're looking to squeeze a 25 GB Blu-ray rip down to a 5 GB MKV you need to re-encode, not re-mux.
    Yeah, I'm really not looking to re-encode, but, for future reference if I were, which programs would allow me to re-encode? Would ffmpeg suffice?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, ffmpeg would be fine for reencoding.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, ffmpeg would be fine for reencoding.
    And I would re-encode the MovieObject or index file, correct? Thanks
    Quote Quote