VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am new to video authoring. I used Movavi Video Studio to capture a video stream of my son's college baseball games. File sizes are about 11-15GB for 3 hour games

The file was saved in MP4 video, currently on my laptop and backed up on a rotating drive. I can watch the file fine on my laptop

I would like to put the games on Blue-Ray disks so my wife or parents can watch replays on their Blue-Ray/DVD player at home.

I have an LG WH16NS40 Blue-Ray writer and Movavi Video Studio 16 software (Win10 Pro, 8G RAM, 1TB SSD)

So far, I am unable to create a Blue-Ray disk I can watch on TV in my living room. My first attempt, following the directions to burn a disk, had the SW replay the entire video (3 hrs) as it converted the video. When I finished I got an error saying "program stopped working". This happened twice.

I tried to burn another game file. The file burned on the Blue-Ray (I can see the coloration) and the Sony Blue-Ray in my living room sees it, but it won't play. When I burned the disk there were some errors at the end of the process, different from the "program stopped working" error. It said something about not being able to read memory...I didn't get a screen capture.

I found a menu in Movavi for "TV readable" file or something like that, but it makes the file 31GB, too big for a standard BD and I don't know if this is the right path or not, so I don't want to by 2xBD just to try it out.

How do I take my MP4 file and put it on a Blue-Ray disk I (or my parents) can watch in my living room?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some Blu-ray players can play media files burned on a Blu-ray disc as data, but others cannot or are very limited with respect to the types of media files that they can play. Your best bet is to author a Blu-ray disc to ensure playability. You can probably put about 2 hours of HD Blu-ray-compatible video on a BD-R 25GB disc.

Authored Blu-ray has a set of requirements for video and audio. (See "What is Blu-ray", accessible by clicking "What Is" at the top of a VideoHelp web page.) It would be helpful for us to know how close your original screen capture is to meeting them. Please post a MediaInfo report for the file containing your original screen capture.

Instructions:
    Download and install MediaInfo.
    Open the file with MediaInfo.
    Click on "View" in the menu bar and select "Text" from the drop-down menu.
    Copy the resulting report and paste into a new post in this thread.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your reply.

Here is the MediaInfo file

General
    Complete name : E:\Baseball videos\Movavi Screen Capture\Alec Start.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 11.0 GiB
    Duration : 3 h 15 min
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 8 100 kb/s
    Writing application : Lavf57.40.101

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC / AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Baseline@L4 / Baseline@L4
    Format settings : 1 Ref Frames / 1 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : No / No
    Format settings, RefFrames : 1 frame / 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=25 / M=1, N=25
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 7 899 kb/s
    Width : 1 588 pixels
    Original width : 1 588 pixels / 1 588 pixels
    Height : 898 pixels
    Original height : 898 pixels / 898 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 29.276 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 14.927 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 30.296 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 / 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits / 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive / Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.189
    Stream size : 10.8 GiB (98%)

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 192 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 256 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 264 MiB (2%)
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1
    Quote Quote  
  4. I can play this file from my laptop to my TV via an HDMI cable

I would like to copy to a BD-R disk I can save and I can send copies to grandparents. This video is from last year and the season starts shortly so I am trying to figure out how to get them onto Blue-Ray disks to watch from a BD player
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your captured video and audio is not very close to being Blu-ray compliant. Your capture contains 1588x898 resolution progressive video at a variable frame rate of 29.276 fps, using AVC for video and AAC for audio.

The closest thing to that which Blu-ray supports is 720p59.97 = 1280x720 resolution progressive video at a constant framerate of 59.94 fps, using AVC for video and Dolby Digital for audio.

Is there any chance that the game is still available via streaming? I think that if it is possible to capture the stream itself with something like youtube-dl-gui, you might be able to get something a bit better to work with.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It should still be possible to convert your screen captures to Blu-ray if the video for these games is no longer available via streamin.

The variable frame rate is the biggest problem with your screen captures. That must be corrected first. Some advice I found here at VideoHelp suggested it is possible to change variable frame-rate video which results from frame drops into constant frame rate video by using TSMuxer GUI to re-mux the video from MP4 to TS. Select TS muxing (under the Output section on the Input tab) and check the change frame rate option and set the frame rate to "30000/1001" (look for these settings under the "General Track" options on the Input tab). Unfortunately, you can't use TSMuxer to author a Blu-ray disc until you have converted the video to be Blu-ray compliant with other software.

I'm not the best one to give advice on what beginner-friendly free software you should use to re-encode the video. I have PowerDirector, which can both convert video for Blu-ray and author a Blu-ray disc, but I have not tried it for conversion. Anything that I have authored as a Blu-ray disc was already compliant with the spec. There may be better options available for you.
    Quote Quote