Hi,
4:3 old style movie broadcast, on TV it displays with black margins.
capture it to HDD then get it to PC via DVD-RAM disc.
It plays in Videoredo the right shape with black margins, a square is a square, shape unaffected.

Play it in Jaksta media player , set to force ratio 16:9, it has same black margins and shape, and hitting my hotkey Q I capture a still.
(if set to 4:3 its then too narrow east-west.)
Properties has still set as .png (makes bigger files sizes than jpg I discover.)
View the .png result in photoshop, looks like the tv view.

View properties say pixel square ticked, pixel aspect ratio correction is greyed out. Looks good still at 16:9 shape with black margins, square is still square. All is good

If I alter properties in Jaksta to jpg and do same, it opens in photoshop with a message... pixel aspect ratio correction is for preview purposes only. Turn it off for max image qlty.
pixel aspect ratio custom and pixel aspect ratio correction are ticked. It is stretched east west. if I alter pixel to square, as I need to have it compatible with other square pixel images, it then adopts right shape.

2nd test.
Play what was a 4:3 analog tape recording captured to Pc same way.
In jaksta force 4:3 ratio is needed to display it as seen on tv.
Capture a still as jpg and open into pshop, again not square, pix aspect ratio custom and px ratio correction ticked, message says pixel aspect ratio correction is for preview purposes only. Turn it off for max image qlty.
Capture a still as a png and it opens the right shape in photoshop and pixel square (the normal setting for images we all use) is ticked.

Why the heck is jpg option, making the stills wider than they should be ?

jaksta have no forum or support at all for this prog so I cant ask them.

DBenz