VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone! I'm pretty new in the subtitling field and I created the srt. files using Subtitle Edit.
    The thing is that when I play or hardcode the subtitles in the video some of them appear in the right place all the way down but some others appear above and it doesn't look good at all. I've tried everything and nothing worked. Here are the print screens as a prove.
    Thank you very much.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SUBTITLES PANTALLAZO 1.png
Views:	556
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	44558  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SUBTITLES PANTALLAZO 2.png
Views:	281
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	44559  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it seems like empty line, check the lines where it happened if there isn't empty row.
    Edit: in subtitle edit try tools fix common errors. It is first thing there to remove empty lines.
    Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 1st Feb 2018 at 14:02. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for your answer. It didn't work but I noticed that below of many of the subtitles said overlap and I fixed them all, but it didn't work either. I'll figure out something else I guess or try to do it with a different editor. I liked Subtitle Edit. Do you know any other friendly subtitle editor?, I tried Aegisub once but I found it a little complicated.
    Have a nice day!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    probably Subtitle Workshop can be friendly.

Edit: because srt is almost plain text, I doubt there is problem in editing software, probably some settings in playback subtitles. Have you tried some other players with these subtitles? Yes overlapping can cause some trouble but when fixed it all, subtitles should behave according to expectation.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 2nd Feb 2018 at 09:56. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  5. There is a temporal overlap between your subtitles. Ie, a new subtitle starts before the previous one ends. That causes the new subtitle to be drawn above the previous subtitle so both can be seen at the same time (some players may do it differently). Subtitle Workshop can fix that. Tools -> Information and Errors -> Fix All Errors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi jagabo,
    It didn't work but I noticed that below of many of the subtitles said overlap and I fixed them all, but it didn't work either.
    so it should not be case if corrected. Also same time end of first subtitle = same time start new subtitle shouldn't be problem in srt, but also depend on sw player subtitle settings of course.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It can be player associated. In SE --> settings --> General tab, try to set "Min. gap between subtitles in ms" to 50.

Eventhough if srt end- en starttimings may not overlap, it can be that these timecodes are within the same frame if min. gap is small, and I can imagine a player to react on that as shown.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Ennio
    I want to tell the same time is not considered as overlap in subtitle edit, so your conclusion is exactly what I meant.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone and thank you very much for your responses. I've tried everything and nothing worked which is very strange. I also went to Alignment and placed the subtitle on the bottom with the same negative result. I've no idea what it could be so I'm going to try a different software, which is a pity because I liked Subtitle Edit very much.
    Thanks to all.
    Best Regards,
    Ismael.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I think, that problem isn't possible in subtitles, but how VLC handles it. Are in Subtitle edit, when have opened video window, subtitles displayed correctly? Try in VLC preference advanced (not simple) settings in subtitles change how they handles it. Or you can try download for example Potplayer and see if they are displayed here correctly.

Bernix
    Quote Quote