VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I captured a Kenny G VHS tape to multiple video clips in lossless compression HuffYUV YUV 4:2:2 Interlaced, The audio track is PCM 48Khz. I want to swap out the audio tracks for all clips, the audio on the clips is originated from the HiFi track on the tape, It has the usual head switching noise except it is a little worse than the occasional head switching noise. I do have the audio tracks in WAV 16/44.1Khz from my CD collection and I want to replace them on the captured clips with the WAV files.

What is the best way to do it without degrading the video quality further, I know besides the NLE timeline I can do demuxing muxing for each clip using the appropriate software but not sure if I can do that on the original AVI files or I have to convert to a compliant video format?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub. Prepare your new audio first. Open the video file in Virtualdub.
    Audio/audio from other file. Load your new audio

Set video to direct stream copy. Save as a new avi
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    And good luck with sync. You may find it necessary to redo your VHS capture with better fine tracking adjustment to eliminate the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    And good luck with sync. You may find it necessary to redo your VHS capture with better fine tracking adjustment to eliminate the noise.
    I know, I may have to edit the new audio files first to match the original ones in terms of start point, end point and duration (pitch) in an audio software first before I load them into a video software like the VDub as davexnet suggested.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I captured a Kenny G VHS tape to multiple video clips in lossless compression HuffYUV YUV 4:2:2 Interlaced, The audio track is PCM 48Khz. I want to swap out the audio tracks for all clips, the audio on the clips is originated from the HiFi track on the tape, It has the usual head switching noise except it is a little worse than the occasional head switching noise. I do have the audio tracks in WAV 16/44.1Khz from my CD collection and I want to replace them on the captured clips with the WAV files.

What is the best way to do it without degrading the video quality further, I know besides the NLE timeline I can do demuxing muxing for each clip using the appropriate software but not sure if I can do that on the original AVI files or I have to convert to a compliant video format?

Thank you.
    If you are doing individual clips/songs.....that's easy. I don't even use a NLE for that. AviDemux baby.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    If you are doing individual clips/songs.....that's easy. I don't even use a NLE for that. AviDemux baby.
    I see that it supports AVI, I will give it a shot, Thanks.
    Edit:
    I installed it but I have no clue on how to mux or demux.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 1st Feb 2018 at 03:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If your video clips are already cut to match your CD tracks....just go to AUDIO - MAIN TRACK and replace the video's audio with the CD audio.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Ok I got the editing part now, Indeed this is the best way to keep the video and audio in their original quality.
    The original tracks and the wav tracks will never match due to the blanks at the beginning and the end, I will have to use an audio editor to cut the WAV files to size to match the captured audio, I will try audacity by loading both stereo tracks and try to match the new file to the original one.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 1st Feb 2018 at 04:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I will try audacity by loading both stereo tracks and try to match the new file to the original one.
    That's what I do....only with an OLD free version of Reaper.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I will try audacity by loading both stereo tracks and try to match the new file to the original one.
    I wish it was free, I will give it a try while still free, Does it shrink or expand the audio file to a certain length in the timeline?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I wish it was free, I will give it a try while still free, Does it shrink or expand the audio file to a certain length in the timeline?
    You can adjust the playback rate of the CD audio to match the video's audio.....but for me it's a lot of trial and error inputting the rates.(.997 - 1.005) etc etc.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You can adjust the playback rate of the CD audio to match the video's audio.....but for me it's a lot of trial and error inputting the rates.(.997 - 1.005) etc etc.
    I tried Reaper but the problem is when shifting the additional audio track forward or backward to sync it with the original audio track associated with the video it just moves in steps which makes the sync impossible, Also when zooming in enough the sliding function will be disabled, So that's kind of useless for this purpose.

Edit:
    Never mind I removed the grid and now the track slides smoothly even at the highest zoom in.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 3rd Feb 2018 at 23:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Well Done.
    Quote Quote