VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I have a few tapes (circa 20) I'd like to convert to digital.

I have a Sony EV-C500E PAL deck, which I've had from new and has had only a few hours use. So that should take care of the 'playing' side (although any tips for getting the best out of it still appreciated).

Simple question: What's the 'best' way to digitise the tapes.

I know the answers won't necessarily be simple!

And by best, I guess I mean the optimum compromise between cost of kit, time, required skill and ultimately, quality of conversion.

While quality ought to be very high, I'm also realistic and realise my time is limited, so a relatively simple option would be great. I can always try to improve on the initial version if time and/or equipment etc allow.

I do also have an August VGB 100 usb 'dongle' and have downloaded Virtual Dub. I had a go at using this about 6-12 months ago and made some progress, including one brief recording, but the quality wasn't great - but that may just be the tape, although I'd tried to follow a guide from one of the forums, I didn't really know what I was doing with many of the settings!

However, I now can't get Virtual Dub to work! When I select 'Capture AVI' I just get a black screen for device: Conexant Polaris Video Capture. If I switch to Microsoft WDM, I can see the video, but presume that isn't much use?

I've tried removing and reinstalling drivers (before connecting the August), but not been able to make it work. I'm using Windows 10, which may be the problem, but am almost certain I was using Win 10 when I got it to work previously. I've also tried compatibility modes, but without it making any difference.

So, help please! Can I just plug the output from the Sony into another recorder of some sort? I also have an old Panasonic NV-MX2 and a slightly more recent Canon HF10, if either of them are going to be of any help!

Or, do I need to ditch the EV-C500E and buy a Digital8 player of some sort? If so - is there a list of recommended models? Is it possible to hire them?

Many thanks.

Calc
    Last edited by Calc; 30th Jan 2018 at 18:01.
    Quote Quote  
  2. PS - Just in case hiring is an option, I'm UK based!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    If you are accustomed to high-resolution computer graphics (as are we all), then you will find that no legacy analog video appears to be "very high" quality. The resolution and stability just aren't there, although Hi8 will look appreciably better than VHS, for example.

I don't have any experience with the August card. Most any USB dongle should work in your scenario. I don't like Virtual Dub for capture, though. I use AmaRecTV instead.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Quality point taken! I suppose what I really mean is quality relative to each of the options, as opposed to absolute quality.

I'll give AmaRecTV a try when I get a chance!

So do you think I'm better persevering with the August than looking at Digital8 options?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Your trouble seems to be with the converter drivers, not with the playback hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Converter drivers?

As in the drivers for the August? In which case, I agree, but am running out of options to try to make it work.

Or do you mean something else.

My other problem is then not really knowing what settings to use for VirtualDub despite having spent quite a few hours reading this forum and others!

Is AmaRecTV any easier to set up / use?

Thanks
    Quote Quote