VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a question. If you are using a PAL source that is 25fps, will using srestore on it with a setting of 25 like this "srestore(25)" even do anything at all? They are the exact same framerate and srestore was supposed to be helping to remove blended/ghosted frames.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You'll have to run a deinterlacer before srestore to notice any improvement. Using Yadif or QTGMC before srestore you turn each field into a new frame. With this doubled frame rate srestore would likely be able to find fewer blended frames and return the frame rate to the original 25.

Although there are omode parameters to srestore which accomplish deblending through other methods.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    If you are using a PAL source that is 25fps, will using srestore on it with a setting of 25 like this "srestore(25)" even do anything at all?
    It won't remove any blending.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    You'll have to run a deinterlacer before srestore to notice any improvement. Using Yadif or QTGMC before srestore you turn each field into a new frame. With this doubled frame rate srestore would likely be able to find fewer blended frames and return the frame rate to the original 25.

Although there are omode parameters to srestore which accomplish deblending through other methods.
    I certainly do use Yadif and or QTGMC before srestore. Are you saying it just finds fewer blended frames, or that it removes incorrect ones?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    If you are using a PAL source that is 25fps, will using srestore on it with a setting of 25 like this "srestore(25)" even do anything at all?
    It won't remove any blending.
    So it's pointless then? I should use srestore(23.976) instead?
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 30th Jan 2018 at 11:04.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM

I certainly do use Yadif and or QTGMC before srestore. Are you saying it just finds fewer blended frames, or that it removes incorrect ones?
    srestore will find the frames with the least extreme blends and output those. And no, you should not just choose 23.976 arbitrarily. It's either the correct original frame rate or not.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I certainly do use Yadif and or QTGMC before srestore.
    Which you neglected to mention in the earlier post? I, for one, thought you were asking about using SRestore without a bobber before it.

Is this some sort of a hypothetical question (once it becomes clear what the question is)? If you have a specific video in mind, then please make a sample available.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post

srestore will find the frames with the least extreme blends and output those. And no, you should not just choose 23.976 arbitrarily. It's either the correct original frame rate or not.
    It was an animated series that originated from NTSC. Problem is, only PAL got a DVD release and I was trying to get it more like 23.976fps with reduced blends in it. So I was using a QTGMC + srestore combination to get that result. I just wondered if srestore set at 25fps would even have any effect on the source at all since the source was 25fps on the DVD. Someone was trying to tell me that I should always use srestore(25) on PAL sources, but I have used srestore(23.976) and its been fine for me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    If the video was actually sped up to PAL speeds and it still ended up frame blended then you would use srestore(frate=25) with an assumefps(24000/1001) at the end of your script. If the video was not sped up and the studio just dumped a 23.976fps video directly to 25fps PAL, then you would use 23.976.

But manono is right. A sample would really clear this up.
    Quote Quote  
  10. SRestore discards blended frames preferentially to give the frame rate you specify (or the default rate). If you give it 25p and ask for 25p it will do nothing. If you give it 50p (from Yadif(mode=1 or 3) or QTGMC()) it will discard the 25 frames with the most blending out of every 50. If you specify too low a frame rate it will discard non-blended frames, leaving you with a jerky video. If you specify too high a frame rate it will leave some blended frames, again leading to jerky video.

If you provide a sample, include a long panning shot.
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th Jan 2018 at 18:16.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you specify too low a bitrate it will discard non-blended frames, leaving you with a jerky video. If you specify too high a bitrate it will leave some blended frames, again leading to jerky video.
    Eh?

Surely you meant to write:

If you specify too low a framerate it will discard non-blended frames, leaving you with a jerky video. If you specify too high a framerate it will leave some blended frames, again leading to jerky video.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes, I meant to write frame rate, not bitrate. I'll fix the post so as not to lead to confusion.
    Quote Quote