VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everybody!

I've just finished translating and subtitling a video using Subtitle Workshop. It works fine as long as I keep watching my vid in the subtititling software.

Yet things change when I try to watch it in another software, like VLC Player: the subtitles do show all right, but their format is different. I saved them as .srt-files, with black background and white text. Instead, I get no background whatsoever, and a white text with black outline. Also, they're WAY bigger than I'd set them to be.

Would someone happen to know how I could solve that?
    Thank you
    Truffe
    Quote Quote  
  2. .srt files are (for the most part) simple text. Every player has its own default font/style of showing them.

Your options:
    A. Use ASS instead of (or in addition to) SRT format. In ASS format you can set all the stylings you want. (In MKV you can also attach the fonts for systems that don't have them.)
    B. In VLC settings set the font style how you want it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    what sneaker said is precise answer. Just want to add, that in Potplayer, you have too many options to customize your subtitles look and how they changed (normal or smoothly). Transparency, gradient, several shadows and everything you never dreamed about .

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you very much! I didn't even know I could change the settings of VLC. I just did and it works perfectly well. But I assume, I would have to change the settings of each software on every computer to make the DVD work the way I want.

I'll try the .ass option: maybe the subtitles will show exactly I want them, then.

Anyway, you already solved at least half of my problem
    Quote Quote  
  5. to make the DVD work
    What DVD??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I plan to burn a Data DVD with the subtitled film & the subtitle files, and put it at the end of the essay I am currently writing for the jury to see. Do you think it might technically work?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depending in what they will use if PC or TV. If you want to subtitles be mandatory when viewing, you can burn them to video. If you want subtitles on/off, it can be problem if jury doesn't know how to switch them on/of viewing on TV. In PC there shouldn't be problem to on/off them.
    The only advantage to have it burned in video is it can't be switched off and you can burn them in any font, size, colors and shadows, whatever effects you want. But biggest disadvantages can be they can't be turned off.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 30th Jan 2018 at 10:57. Reason: add
    Quote Quote  
  8. Do you think it might technically work?
    Perhaps.

This comes down to a choise between Scylla and Charybdis.

The only way for you to control the formatting of your subtitles is by hardcoding.

As you've seen for .srt subtitles the formatting is determined by the player. For .ass you can control the formatting but while I believe all/most software players supports .ass subtitles (?) you'll find hardware players like Bluray players that may support playing from a data DVD but doesn't support .ass format.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    The DVD is intended to be read from a computer player, but you make a very good point with the hardware players... What would you do?
    Quote Quote