VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Let's assume that the DVD/BD stream was MPEG-1 unexpectedly, instead of MPEG2/H.264/H.265-HEVC?
    How would a DVD/BD player react?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends:

1. Dvd player - if it is dvd-compliant mpeg1 using constrained bitstream parameters, and D1, 1/2D1 or 1/4 D1, and is properly & muxed & compiled, it ought to just play it (as that is part of the dvd spec). Not compliant, won't play.
    If is just a file, depends on the model & the "general media player" capabilities of that chipset and the licensing.

2. If BD player, mpeg1 is not compliant with any part of the bd spec, so unless it falls into the same category as the 2nd part above, it won't play it.

These days, due to the increasing time distance from when s/vcd was even considered a half viable option, there is little to no incentive for a manufacturer to include support in general media list for mpeg1, either authored (vcd) or not.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to this page (not any relation to this page) some do and some not. I suppose you mean stand alone players. And as mpeg1 usual file.

https://www.bestadvisor.com/blu-ray-players

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  4. MPEG-1 is foundation for VCD - first modern consumer digital video standard - if device provide VCD support then MPEG-1 VCD compliant content should be played without problems...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    True, @pandy. But many, many maufacturers no longer support vcd any more.
    Example: I have 3 different bd players in my house, from 3 different manufacturers (vizio, lg, samsung) and none of them support vcd. Only a used sony dvd player that I got at a thrift store does. It's probably worse here in the US where vcd never took hold of consumers, vs. internationally, but that is certainly still the trend.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. IMHO MPEG-1 should be playable without issues in multimedia mode by sufficiently modern HW player - perhaps with some limitations (such as lack of support for UHR on MPEG-1 - till H.264 - MPEG-1 was one of few codecs capable to support 4096x4096 video)
    Quote Quote