VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear folks.

I have been using Avidemux for quite some time. I always use 'copy mode' and choose original file's format for the output file. I also use MediaInfo to exactly determine the original container's format.

However, for few files, Avidemux is not working, giving grainy output, bad contrast or change in color shades. I suspect it is encoding the file, otherwise output video should be similar to original.

1) Can you help me find a software which can EDIT WITHOUT ENCODING? VirtualDub is an option but you have to download scores of plugins which confuses me. Secondly, I am not sure if it will be better than Avidemux. Please comment.

2) If encoding in unavoidable, I can also go for high end paid software if they have better quality, loss-less encoding as these videos are very important for me. Please let me have some suggestions. (Adobe Premiere Pro, Vegas Movie Studio)?

Many thanks to all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Huh? Surely if you're using 'Copy mode' then there shouldn't be ANY changes in colour, contrast, graininess or, well, ANYTHING? And if you're using Vdub (or Vdub filter mod) in 'Direct Stream Copy' mode just to edit then why would you need ANY filters?

It would help to know what kinds of video you're wanting to edit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by seymoria View Post
    However, for few files, Avidemux is not working, giving grainy output, bad contrast or change in color shades. I suspect it is encoding the file, otherwise output video should be similar to original.
    If AviDemux is not done saving your file within seconds in COPY mode.....you are not cutting on key frames and you are not using Avidemux correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Huh? Surely if you're using 'Copy mode' then there shouldn't be ANY changes in colour, contrast, graininess or, well, ANYTHING? And if you're using Vdub (or Vdub filter mod) in 'Direct Stream Copy' mode just to edit then why would you need ANY filters?

It would help to know what kinds of video you're wanting to edit.
    I used copy mode and there were changes. Why would that be? It was an MP4 file as diagnosed by MediaInfo while the extension was .avi.

I tried VDub but it gave some error of 'plugins not found' etc.

Please advise.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It was an MP4 file as diagnosed by MediaInfo while the extension was .avi
    Sounds like it could be a MPEG4 Part 2 video in an .avi container to me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    If AviDemux is not done saving your file within seconds in COPY mode.....you are not cutting on key frames and you are not using Avidemux correctly.
    I generally use the key frame option only to avoid irregularities on the cut edges. I use the key frame arrow in Avidemux to advance, not the other arrows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I generally use the key frame option only to avoid irregularities on the cut edges.
    You need to always cut on key frames to "copy" without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Xmedia Recode.
    Doesn't that re encode?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already cut on key frames by using only the key frame advance button. I dont use any other button for frame advance.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If by edit you mean cut then everything is fine unless your video use open GOP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using VideoReDo for a long time.
    Quote Quote  
  12. To expand the initial question, which editing software, preferable freeware or low-cost, can both split and join video files without transcoding?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Joshua_Gomeh View Post
    To expand the initial question, which editing software, preferable freeware or low-cost, can both split and join video files without transcoding?
    Sometimes ordinary copy /b will be sufficient, sometimes ffmpeg can do work - all depend on many details you didn't provided.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Sometimes ordinary copy /b will be sufficient, sometimes ffmpeg can do work - all depend on many details you didn't provided.
    Thanks.
    Though I worked with pro editing software like Adobe Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve, I've never worked with ffmpeg. Is the 'copy /b' for splitting files (clips), or for joining files?
    What other details are needed?
    Can Vegas Pro 15 do it?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Joshua_Gomeh View Post
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Thanks.
    Though I worked with pro editing software like Adobe Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve, I've never worked with ffmpeg. Is the 'copy /b' for splitting files (clips), or for joining files?
    What other details are needed?
    Can Vegas Pro 15 do it?
    http://www.monkeyjob.com/FileMonk/FAQ/Merge-Join-Files-Command-DOS.htm
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6764558/in-ms-dos-copying-several-files-to-one-file
    http://www.hjsplit.org/dos/

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42747935/cut-multiple-videos-and-merge-with-ffmpeg
    http://rainnic.altervista.org/en/content/how-cut-and-join-mp4-video-four-steps-using-f...tent_entity=en
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks for the links.
    The DOS commands are too complicated for me.
    Any other solution with GUI?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The good software are not free but you can still use their trial period and see what works better for you, I used SolveigMM Video Splitter, VideoRedo, SmartCutter and TSPE. They all work fine, Some files may work on a particular software but not on the others, For instance AVC files such as former HD-DVD are well done on TSPE if not the only software that can handle them.

They all have a learning curb to them, They are not user friendly, But once you know how they work it becomes a fast task.

All those software are frame accurate editing, What that means is they only reconstruct the pocket of frames if the cut is not at the key frame.

C/P From Fame-ring:

What is Frame Accuracy?

Movies are often digitally compressed before stored. There are key frames and non-key frames in compressed movies. Non-key frames can NOT be displayed without key frames, while key frames can be displayed INDEPENDENTLY. The functionality to locate and display each frame correctly, no matter key or non-key, is called FRAME ACCURACY. (tip: for each picture in the movie, we call it a frame)

Why we need Frame Accuracy?

Without Frame Accuracy, you can not start displaying on desired frame; the desired frame may be LOST, or you may got SECONDS of frames you do not want before desired one.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thank you delisam, I'll try them.
    Quote Quote