VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Consider supporting us by disable adblocker or buy Replay Video Capture or PlayON and record Netflix!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Erik Eriksson
    Search Comp PM
    I am starting a project of making good quality photo cds to leave to family. It is on my bucket list sadly. Could anyone recommend a good printer that allows direct cd printing? Some indication of the best media would be helpful too. I have a Pixma 7250 but it is on its last legs. I'm not overly fond of image garden either and I have a Mac with High Sierra 10.13.2 and am considering getting some better software. Any help appreciated. I live in UK.
    Last edited by erikeriksson; 28th Jan 2018 at 01:54. Reason: Additions
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim has subset of their discs that have a white inktjet printable surface. Im quite happy with those, although I dont find it as important anymore to label with that much effort.
    Epson has a line of printers that support direct printing on discs. Canon also has several models.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Inkjet dyes tend to look rather dull on the standard white printable DVDs. I prefer Verbatim AquaAce Glossy. Makes the colors really pop. I'm using an Epson XP-620.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Erik Eriksson
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the advice
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I never labeled my discs because someday nobody would care.
    That day arrived quite a while ago.
    The newness wore off a decade ago.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Happened to see your post while coming here to place a post of my own. I bought this printer for the sole reason of printing discs and it's excellent, couldn't be happier
    Canon PIXMA iP7220
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I suspect it's no longer made but I've had one of these EPSON STYLUS photo-r265 for years, I'm sure there's a current model in their range.
    Inks are expensive but the generics work just as well at a fraction of the price.*
    Comes with the software for setting the images on the CD, which is basic but functional.
    I'm about to curse myself, but I've had zero problems in the time I've owned it and been very happy with the print.

*Would be worth checking carefully on this, I read a while back about printer manufacturers putting rfid chips on inks to force you to use own-brand stuff.
    Check-in, guys! U like it! You do not know anything"about DVD players"John Snow
    Quote Quote  
  8. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    I use an Epson Stylus Photo P50 with a continuous ink supply system. I've had it for some years. I've also been using Taiyo Yuden Watershield glossy discs. Bought a supply
    some years ago. I've been very happy with this setup, but my XP desktop finally died and the setup disc won't work on my Windows 10 laptop.
    I found replacement upto- date drivers and software on the Epson UK site and the printer is working okay again.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  9. Erik,
    Forget Canon for easy set up/printing dvd labels.
    I just bought another Epson [expression xp-640- about $65.00]
    mostly for printing depo labels. It also is a good photo printer, I get better
    results with it than my Canon Pixma Pro 100.
    Laura
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Optical media is over (as in "war is over"). I doubt that players will even exist 30 years from now for my collection of beautifully made, photo quality printed, home movie DVDs and BDRs. If anything, my bucket list should include getting them ripped to a HD playable format so my kids can (eventually?) enjoy them. BTW, still printing discs using an epson R220 which has served me for well over 10 years now.
    Last edited by TheFamilyMan; 17th Apr 2018 at 11:30.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote