VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Erik Eriksson
    Search Comp PM
    I am starting a project of making good quality photo cds to leave to family. It is on my bucket list sadly. Could anyone recommend a good printer that allows direct cd printing? Some indication of the best media would be helpful too. I have a Pixma 7250 but it is on its last legs. I'm not overly fond of image garden either and I have a Mac with High Sierra 10.13.2 and am considering getting some better software. Any help appreciated. I live in UK.
    Last edited by erikeriksson; 28th Jan 2018 at 02:54. Reason: Additions
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim has subset of their discs that have a white inktjet printable surface. I’m quite happy with those, although I don’t find it as important anymore to label with that much effort.
    Epson has a line of printers that support direct printing on discs. Canon also has several models.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Inkjet dyes tend to look rather dull on the standard white printable DVDs. I prefer Verbatim AquaAce Glossy. Makes the colors really pop. I'm using an Epson XP-620.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Erik Eriksson
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the advice
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I never labeled my discs because someday nobody would care.
    That day arrived quite a while ago.
    The newness wore off a decade ago.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Happened to see your post while coming here to place a post of my own. I bought this printer for the sole reason of printing discs and it's excellent, couldn't be happier
    Canon PIXMA iP7220
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I suspect it's no longer made but I've had one of these EPSON STYLUS photo-r265 for years, I'm sure there's a current model in their range.
    Inks are expensive but the generics work just as well at a fraction of the price.*
    Comes with the software for setting the images on the CD, which is basic but functional.
    I'm about to curse myself, but I've had zero problems in the time I've owned it and been very happy with the print.

*Would be worth checking carefully on this, I read a while back about printer manufacturers putting rfid chips on inks to force you to use own-brand stuff.
    Check-in, guys! U like it! You do not know anything"about DVD players"John Snow
    Quote Quote  
  8. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    I use an Epson Stylus Photo P50 with a continuous ink supply system. I've had it for some years. I've also been using Taiyo Yuden Watershield glossy discs. Bought a supply
    some years ago. I've been very happy with this setup, but my XP desktop finally died and the setup disc won't work on my Windows 10 laptop.
    I found replacement upto- date drivers and software on the Epson UK site and the printer is working okay again.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  9. Erik,
    Forget Canon for easy set up/printing dvd labels.
    I just bought another Epson [expression xp-640- about $65.00]
    mostly for printing depo labels. It also is a good photo printer, I get better
    results with it than my Canon Pixma Pro 100.
    Laura
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Optical media is over (as in "war is over"). I doubt that players will even exist 30 years from now for my collection of beautifully made, photo quality printed, home movie DVDs and BDRs. If anything, my bucket list should include getting them ripped to a HD playable format so my kids can (eventually?) enjoy them. BTW, still printing discs using an epson R220 which has served me for well over 10 years now.
    Last edited by TheFamilyMan; 17th Apr 2018 at 12:30.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HarryGreene35nT0 View Post
    Try the Epson XP-620. I like it.
    Since the Epson XP-620 was released in 2014, is no longer produced, and old stock is selling for an unreasonable price now, I don't think your advice is worth any consideration in 2020.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try Canon MG7200, works great for me
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    try Canon MG7200, works great for me
    That one is discontinued as well. The Canon PIXMA iP7200 that I bought before 2018 and still use for printing on DVDs is also discontinued, so I don't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have the ability to travel back in time to buy one.

In 2020, Canon and Epson still make at least a couple of ink-jet printer models that have the ability to print on optical media. I suggest anyone who runs into this thread in the future checks their current models for that feature.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    didn't realize that model was discontinued already but you can still find some floating around for sale, But check the Canon Mg7720 for the latest model.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    didn't realize that model was discontinued already but you can still find some floating around for sale, But check the Canon Mg7720 for the latest model.
    I think that one is also discontinued. The MSRP was $199.99. I found sellers on Amazon and eBay currently asking anywhere from $599.99 to $1200 for one.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I think that one is also discontinued. The MSRP was $199.99. I found sellers on Amazon and eBay currently asking anywhere from $599.99 to $1200 for one.
    Not sure if the 7720 is discontinued since it is listed on Canon website but also listed as out of stock but so are a lot of their printers, Maybe they just can't get the parts to produce them with all this virus going around, Seems like some people bought them up and are now charging a ridiculous and outrageous price for them just like a lot of other products I noticed, but if that is true then I hope they get burnt with the products for getting greedy.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know this is a little late but I had to go to Best Buy today and they had a Canon PIXMA TS8320 Color All-In-One Inkjet Printer that prints on blank Discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My ancient Epson R220 final decided it won't let me use it anymore, for whatever reason I could not figure out nor work around. Feeling bummed about losing that capability I recently purchased a Epson XP-970, a current product which prints optical media, with the added bonus that its disk printing software hasn't changed from the version I used with my R220. That disk printing software is excellent in its versatility, like a mini version of power point. But unfortunately the XP-970 is an all-in-one type printer/scanner that is both huge and expensive. It it wasn't for the 33% off price I paid, I would not have bothered with it. BTW, its disk print quality is excellent, as was the R220.

But yeah, optical media is definitely end-of-life...everything now is online, and all the latest consumer video production tools are geared towards that environment.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are several others still available from canon.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, boys! I have a problem! After I updated the printer and I changed the windows to the computer the printer no longer works normally and does not want to print some drivers were probably deleted and it doesn't want to print. I tried to download from the net but it still doesn't work. I'm desperate and nervous. I have to manage to make a project and because of this disaster, I will not be able to present it in time.
    I ask for friendly advice.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    P.S. Thank you.
    Palmgear review
    Last edited by GAWI; 24th Nov 2020 at 10:44.
    Quote Quote  
  21. It would be ok to print one or two DVDs yourself, but if you need a bigger quantity it would be too costly.I just wish there were more functions that could allow printing stuff like the ones https://www.frameshop.com.au/custom-picture-frames frameshop.com.au has printed me for me so many times. I am a huge fun of frames and I have tons of pictures framed in my house. I find them much better to have them in paper that in a drive where I never get to look at them. I don't mind paying these guys to do the printing for me as it's extremely professional, but I wouldn't mind trying myself and see the result.
    Last edited by Richardse; 12th Apr 2021 at 22:07.
    Quote Quote