VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Are there any 4K TV/monitors available yet? I am not asking for a 4K TV, but a 4K monitor with a built-in TV tuner.
    Last edited by kyrcy; 27th Jan 2018 at 03:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What kind of tv tuner DVB-S, DVB-T, DVB-T2?
    There are 4k monitors available, but I don't know if these have any kind of tuner built in.
    But it doesn't matter, take a small linux box to do the job, but you need of course 2 ports (1 HDMI for Box and one HDMI/DVI/DP for PC) if plugged in directly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    DVB-T or DVB-T2. I already tried a box (not linux) on my current monitor and picture in picture was not working correctly. I know I can use a DVB-T USB stick under windows, but I prefer a standalone solution.
    Quote Quote  
  4. try a linux box, these devices work much better than any other standalone device.
    I can recommend VU+
    Quote Quote  
  5. Be sure to use alternative images
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm afraid you will be disappointed - i was able to find only this https://tweakers.net/categorie/344/monitoren/producten/#filter:TcsxDoAgEAXRu_yaApZlVQ5...xWRtUAJTq2r9AA as 4k or higher with some TV tuner (but not analogue one).
    External but separate tuner box (set top box) will be probably best option.
    Anyway you can use similar search site in your country - just go for section monitors and select desired functions - probably best approach.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Did you manage to find a 4k monitor?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Drix View Post
    Did you manage to find a 4k monitor?
    Nothing with a built-in TV tuner. I am however tempted by the 2k monitor in the link below, which for about half the price could hopefully be a worthwhile upgrade from my current full HD monitor.

http://eu.aoc.com/en/products/q3279vwf

If only I could check it in person before buying.
    Last edited by kyrcy; 11th Feb 2018 at 12:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Beware with standalone pc monitors and "watching tv" that you don't run into framerate issues.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    Beware with standalone pc monitors and "watching tv" that you don't run into framerate issues.
    What I should look for?
    Quote Quote  
  11. most monitors only do 60 Hz, a TV normally suports refresh rates like 23Hz/24Hz (23,976) / 24Hz / 25Hz / 29Hz/30Hz (29,97Hz) / 30Hz / 50 Hz / 59Hz/60Hz (59,94Hz) / 60 Hz
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many monitors will accept input at 50Hz as well as ~60Hz, but most monitors don't do a good job at scaling video to match their native resolution and don't like interlaced input.

Maybe an Android TV box would work. I know many can output UHD video, but I'm not sure about 2K and WQHD resolutions The WeTek Play 2 is discontinued now, but could be equipped with a TV tuner module. Perhaps something similar from another maker still exists. I have also seen some TV tuners intended to be used with Android devices.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know there are 4K monitors for gaming that have variable refreshrates/adaptive syncing. But I can imagine it only working with G-Sync/FreeSync videocards and not with tv-settopboxes, mediaplayers and such.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    I know there are 4K monitors for gaming that have variable refreshrates/adaptive syncing. But I can imagine it only working with G-Sync/FreeSync videocards and not with tv-settopboxes, mediaplayers and such.
    TV set-top boxes can often be set to output video at a fixed resolution and and frame rate over HDMI. The problem is that many only go up to 1080i, which is fine for a TV but not usually for a monitor.

I did some research, and found configuration screens for at least one Android TV box (Xiaomi Mi Box) showing that its HDMI output could be set to a fixed resolution and refresh rate, similar to other computers. The "4K2K" refresh rates for this particular model were listed at 24Hz and 30Hz. An Android TV box with HDMI 2.0a out should be able to output 2160p and 1440p at 60Hz, if I'm reading the supported resolutions chart for HDMI 2.0a correctly.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote