VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I did some experimenting and reimaging my Windows 8.1 system back to after December 2017 Windows Updates restores all functionality to Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre, it works great again. However, the moment you apply January 2018 Windows Update, it no longer starts.

Since this program is no longer developed, the only way to use it appears to be *not* to apply Windows Updates in 2018.
    Just posting this to see if anyone else using this program can replicate this. I was able to replicate this on both versions 5 and latest build of version 6.

EDIT: It's confirmed, January 2018 Windows Update 100% kills Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre.
    Since we cannot selectively uninstall updates, the entire 2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup needs to be uninstalled for Arcsoft software to work again.

EDIT#2. Obviously, *all* 2018 onward monthly rollups need to be removed, not just January 2018.
    Last edited by c627627; 17th Mar 2018 at 17:04.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have had issues with some WIN 7 updates affecting Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre also. So far I have not been able to resolve that issue. It opens but then closes as soon as I drop a file into it.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    catalist media center also ...when applying this update ..i have to do system restore to make it work again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Arcsoft TMT made use of a protection mechanism that interacted with the Windows kernel. Changes made to the Windows kernel to mitigate Meltdown are the likely culprit. The best option is to move on to finding another software for media playback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there more than one alternative in 2018?
    There used be only one software which can play Blu-rays discs in full Blu-ray video and HD audio: PowerDVD software. There was no alternative since both Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre and WinDVD are no longer developed and will never be updated.

It would be interesting to at least know if the "fix" must be done on the software side? In other words, is it a certainty that a future Windows Update itself will not correct this problem?
    One way to find out is to find an affected software THAT IS being updated.

What is Catalyst Media Center? You're saying that's also affected, what is the link to that software, are they still developing it and if so, they would be able to tell you if the fix will involve them or Microsoft.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sadly, PowerDVD is really the only viable licensed DVD, Blu-ray, and UHD playback option these days, IMO.

With respect to fixing Arcsoft TMT... as it stood there were already driver issues with Windows 10 and TMT functioning properly. Those are never going to be fixed. The issue with the Windows update to handle Meltdown is the changes to the kernel. Arcsoft made use of Themida to protect the software from tampering. Since the mechanism plays around with the kernel I suspect that is the problem. If my suspicion is correct then the solution would be for Arcsoft to update TMT to remove the use of Themida or re-release it with an updated version of the protection. This just isn't going to happen. On top of that Microsoft isn't going to tweak such a serious update that mitigates such a huge issue just to play nice with an old[er] version of a protection mechanism found in an out-dated, obsolete, and abandoned piece of software. This is a sad reality.

With respect to Arcsoft TMT, I used it for a number of years and preferred it over PowerDVD but somewhere along the line I felt it went off the rails and became even more buggy than PowerDVD. I switched back to using PowerDVD after I dumped TMT. CyberLink has actually made some improvements. PowerDVD isn't perfect but it's not as bad as it once was.

I can't comment on Catalyst Media Center since I don't believe I've ever used it or if I have it was so long ago I can't recall.
    Last edited by HemLok; 25th Jan 2018 at 22:34.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by c627627 View Post
    I did some experimenting and reimaging my Windows 8.1 system back to after December 2017 Windows Updates restores all functionality to Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre, it works great again. However, the moment you apply January 2018 Windows Update, it no longer starts.

Since this program is no longer developed, the only way to use it appears to be *not* to apply Windows Updates in 2018.
    Just posting this to see if anyone else using this program can replicate this. I was able to replicate this on both versions 5 and latest build of version 6.

EDIT: It's confirmed, January 2018 Windows Update 100% kills Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre.
    Since we cannot selectively uninstall updates, the entire 2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup needs to be uninstalled for Arcsoft software to work again.
    try using the windows 10 compatibility mode option
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Catalyst Media Center is also no longer updated AMD player I believe that came with video capture cards. It's very old and has not been updated in a very long time.

What's the current status of PowerDVD inserting what seemed like half a dozen things to run at startup, taking over as the default media player for all extensions without asking, have they stopped doing that in 2018?

I have chosen not to install the 2018 Windows Update but it does sound like you are correct and that this is the end of Arcsoft. A lot of people paid a lot of money for it, but I agree with you that it is unlikely that anyone will fix this... We're yet again facing the same choice. Never upgrade or give up what you used for a decade or two. First Firefox browser, now the Blu-ray player too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    october262, no one who has installed the latest Windows 2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup patch can run Arcsoft software any more.

Not on any Windows operating system with 2018 January update installed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What's the current status of PowerDVD inserting what seemed like half a dozen things to run at startup, taking over as the default media player for all extensions without asking, have they stopped doing that in 2018?
    PowerDVD 17 is the newest version available. (Cyberlink has been launching new PowerDVD versions in April.)

I have PowerDVD 16. PowerDVD still wants to load several things at startup which run in the background. As I recall, PowerDVD wants to take over playback of all types of media files by default, however, I somehow limited it to be the default player for a select few. I don't remember if PowerDVD asked me to select what I wanted it to play or if I used Control Panel>Programs>Default Programs >"Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program" to change the default player from PowerDVD to something else.

In spite of its drawbacks, I tend to agree that Power DVD is the best of the licensed Blu-ray players still under development. Also, PowerDVD 17 Ultra is the only software one can buy which is able to play original UHD Blu-ray discs although that requires Windows 10, a UHD Blu-ray drive, the right kind of CPU and one of a select group of motherboards.

There are a couple of unlicensed Blu-ray players that work for some people, DVDFab Player 5 and Leawo Blu-ray player, but I think Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra is probably better than either of them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jan 2018 at 01:50.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    catalist media center also ...when applying this update ..i have to do system restore to make it work again
    CMC was a customized version of one of Arcsoft's older products.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    october262, no one who has installed the latest Windows 2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup patch can run Arcsoft software any more.

Not on any Windows operating system with 2018 January update installed.
    try this here - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    october262, your link and posts are about Windows 10.
    This thread is about a January 2018 patch, applied in Windows 7 and 8 and 10 that destroy arcosft software permanently on Windows 7 and 8 and 10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To the unlicensed DVDFab Player 5 and Leawo Blu-ray player you mentioned play commercial retail bought Blu-ray discs?

Do you have access to some kind of a list that would tell you if 4K discs can be played on a Skylake Asus Z170-A motherboard?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To the unlicensed DVDFab Player 5 and Leawo Blu-ray player you mentioned play commercial retail bought Blu-ray discs?
    Yes. Note that DVDFab 5 Standard doesn't provide Blu-ray menu support, but allows playing the main movie. DVDFab Player 5 Ultra is required for menu support.

Do you have access to some kind of a list that would tell you if 4K discs can be played on a Skylake Asus Z170-A motherboard?
    Skylake CPUs won't work. You need a Core-i Kaby Lake desktop model or Core i Coffee Lake desktop model. Your motherboard is not on the list. For compatible motherboards see http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13271422&postcount=108
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jan 2018 at 12:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for posting. A while ago, there was some talk about certain motherboards with Skylake CPUs working, I guess that has changed to Skylake not working under any circumstances?

Kaby Lake can work on my motherboard and I do see motherboards in the same family being compatible with updated BIOSes but this would be a finding out the hard way scenario if I tried. What do you play 4K discs on, is PowerDVD the only way? I am assuming 4K discs cannot be played by Arcsoft's Blu-ray software is that correct? What is the cheapest you've seen drives go for that can play 4K discs?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for posting. A while ago, there was some talk about certain motherboards with Skylake CPUs working, I guess that has changed to Skylake not working under any circumstances?

Kaby Lake can work on my motherboard and I do see motherboards in the same family being compatible with updated BIOSes but this would be a finding out the hard way scenario if I tried. What do you play 4K discs on, is PowerDVD the only way? I am assuming 4K discs cannot be played by Arcsoft's Blu-ray software is that correct? What is the cheapest you've seen drives go for that can play 4K discs?
    For UHD Blu-ray playback the CPU must support SGX (SGX support is spotty on Skylake) and be able to provide HDCP 2.2 keys (I don't know if this is true for Skylake) plus it is nice to have HDR 10 support, which Skylake doesn't provide. The motherboard needs to have an HDMI 2.0a connection or a DisplayPort 1.2 connection for HDR-10 and 2160p60 output, and it must be possible to enable SGX manually in the BIOS (using the software control option isn't good enough).

This is a good thread about UHD Blu-ray playback on a PC: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=287599

deUHD is the only way around the need to use Cyberlink PowerDVD 17 for UHD Blu-ray playback, but deUHD is expensive, AACS 2 keys are not available for all movies, and deUHD's future is uncertain. I doubt that Arcsoft TMT would work well for UHD Blu-ray playback with deUHD. DVDFab Player 5 Ultra probably works. deUHD also allows using certain "friendly" LG Blu-ray drives for UHD Blu-ray playback but that loophole is being closed by LG.

The Pioneer BDR-211UBK and LG WH16NS60 are the only official UHD Blu-ray desktop drives. The difference in price is negligible. There are a couple of laptop drives, from LG, the LG BU40N and LG BU50N, which cost a little less than the desktop models. I can't recall if Pioneer sells any laptop drives in the USA.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, that's very informative. Would the list of LG Blu-ray friendly drives be in the linked thread or elsewhere? Because the official drives are very much in the triple digits $.
    Is deUHD some sort of a modern AnyDVD for UHD?

What is the usual capacity in GB of a 4K retail movie disc?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, that's very informative. Would the list of LG Blu-ray friendly drives be in the linked thread or elsewhere? Because the official drives are very much in the triple digits $.
    See https://deuhd.ru/supported.html
    The price for deUHD is in the triple digits too, if you want a subscription lasting longer than 6 months. https://deuhd.ru/index.html

Is deUHD some sort of a modern AnyDVD for UHD?
    Yes, and it is for UHD Blu-ray only.

What is the usual capacity in GB of a 4K retail movie disc?
    The spec allows 50GB, 66GB, or 100GB discs. I think most movies are on 66GB or 100GB discs.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I found something interesting.
    I have 3 laptops:
    Laptop 1 - Vaio - Windows 7, Intel i7, Nvidia GPU, TMT 3
    Laptop 2 - Vaio - Windows 7, Intel i7, AMD GPU, TMT 3
    Laptop 3 - ASUS - Windows 7, Intel i7, Nvidia GPU, TMT 3

On laptop 1 and laptop 3 after the January updates when I launch TMT3, Windows crashes (before January updates TMT3 was working fine).
    On laptop 2 after the January updates TMT3 works fine, January updates did not affect laptop 2.
    It means that January updates affect only the PCs with Nvidia GPU.
    PCs that have AMD GPU are not affected.
    I prefer to use TMT3 because you can change the Bluray Zone unlimited number of times.
    I have also CyberLink PWRDVD 17, but this program is having problem to playback Bluray Audio discs and also a lot of 1080p Blurays are not playing.
    I really do not understand why Arcsoft dropped TMT when they have such a weak competitor like CyberLink.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gabriel600 View Post
    I really do not understand why Arcsoft dropped TMT when they have such a weak competitor like CyberLink.
    Thanks
    Arcsoft decided to specialize in imaging software and dropped all their video products, not just TMT.

[Edit] Maybe Arcsoft had a better product, but Cyberlink wasn't exactly a weak competitor. Cyberlink bundled OEM versions and trial versions of their software with a lot of PCs and some optical drives as a way of attracting customers. As far as I know, Arcsoft did not do that.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Mar 2018 at 16:46.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Gabriel600 View Post
    Thanks
    Arcsoft decided to specialize in imaging software and dropped all their video products, not just TMT.

[Edit] Maybe Arcsoft had a better product, but Cyberlink wasn't exactly a weak competitor. Cyberlink bundled OEM versions and trial versions of their software with a lot of PCs and some optical drives as a way of attracting customers. As far as I know, Arcsoft did not do that.

What is important in my post is this:
    January updates do not affect TMT on PCs with AMD GPU.
    January updates are breaking the functionality of TMT on PCs with Nvidia GPU.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a way of trying TotalMedia Theatre 5 or 6?
    I have an AMD GPU on my PC but TMT 6 was still broken.

When I get a chance I will test TMT 3, it may be that only TMT 3 still works? But not 5 and 6?
    I agree with you that TMT was better than CyberLink.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will try to get TMT5 and TMT6, try, and let you know.
    I have windows 7 Ultimate x64 on all 3 above mentioned laptops.
    Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very good.
    Could you also see if 2018 updates were actually applied, sometimes on my Windows 7 laptops, Windows Updates do not actually go through, when I run Windows Update again, they still show as available because they have not been fully applied.

It would be interesting if we could see if maybe only TMT 3 can be used?
    I have stopped applying Windows Updates because I don't want to give up TMT 6. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like the updates went through for the laptop with AMD GPU.
    There is no hidden update.
    There are no other updates just optional updates (language packs).
    Also there are updates that went through after January, in Feb and in March.
    Please see the picture.Image
    [Attachment 44954 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for posting that.
    The Security Monthly Quality Rollup with any date from 2018 is the Arcsoft killer.
    I am concerned that your screen shot shows the last Security Monthly Quality Rollup being from 2017-12.

It may be that TMT3 is not affected but we are in March 2018 so it may be that any Security Monthly Quality Rollup of the three: 2018-01 or 2018-02 or 2018-03 would end up killing Arcosft on your AMD system if applied?

Your nVidia Laptops, do they show Security Monthly Quality Rollups from 2018? If yes, then sadly maybe that's why they don't have working Arcsoft programs.
    Last edited by c627627; 16th Mar 2018 at 16:43.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked and each of Nvidia laptops have all 3 Security Monthly Quality Rollups from 2018, Jan, Feb and March.
    Maybe AMD laptop has a problem that prevents to get these SMQR?
    But is is very strange that the laptop still receives updates but not the SMQRs.
    I found this possible explanation here for January SMQR: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056894/windows-7-update-kb4056894
    "Microsoft has reports of some customers on a small subset of older AMD processors getting into an unbootable state after installing this KB.

To prevent this issue, Microsoft will temporarily pause Windows OS updates to devices with impacted AMD processors at this time."
    It does not say what kind of "AMD Processor" so it may be (also) GPU.
    I presume that after this they forgot to repair it and the AMD laptop is not going to receive any longer the SMQRs.

Thanks
    Last edited by Gabriel600; 17th Mar 2018 at 02:24.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any (better) method to uninstall the SMQRs apart from Windows restore to an earlier point of time?
    Are the SMQRs incremental?
    I mean the Feb SMQR is the Jan SMQR plus something?
    In other words Jan SMQR contains the TMT poison so all the following SMQRs (Feb, Mar, Ap,r June, and so on) will contain the TMT poison?
    I think Windows will stop at some point to include in the future SMQRs the Jan 2018 TMT poison so we can start again to install SMQRs.
    Otherwise the future SMQRs will become bigger and bigger.
    So we just have to check every month, install the SMQR and if it breaks the TMT, then to restore to an earlier point of time.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Gabriel600; 17th Mar 2018 at 02:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 7 Updates remain a big, huge problem. Microsoft certainly does not mind that many Windows 7 users are "forced" to switch to Windows 10 because they don't know how to fix Windows 7 update. You can install Win 7 monthly security updates manually like this:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=2018-01%20security%20monthly%20windows%207
    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=2018-02%20security%20monthly%20windows%207
    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=2018-03%20security%20monthly%20windows%207

But remember, you will no longer be able to use TMT if you do.

You can uninstall Windows updates from Windows Update\View update history
    or maybe from
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features then View Installed Updates
    Quote Quote