VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I currently edit in 1080p but if there's one under $1000 that can handle 4k that would be great

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  2. Delay your purchase till Meltdown and Spectre impact will be completely known - https://meltdownattack.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know, it is speculative, but reading this links makes me calmer.
    https://www.techspot.com/article/1556-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-performance-windows/
    and
    https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/01/09/understanding-the-performa...WeHcm0ft.mA)()

Main impact is excepted at SSD discs, about 20%-35% glad still have magnetic discs. Don't mining bitcoin another thing that can be affected (security keys) and not running Virtual machines.
    So having skylake, feeling is overall o.k. but with older machines, impact will be bigger of course.
    If possible i wouldn't allow patch my comp, but i think it will be mandatory...

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Main impact is excepted at SSD discs, about 20%-35% glad still have magnetic discs. Don't mining bitcoin another thing that can be affected (security keys) and not running Virtual machines.
    So having skylake, feeling is overall o.k. but with older machines, impact will be bigger of course.
    If possible i wouldn't allow patch my comp, but i think it will be mandatory...
    Well... seem this is bigger issue and most processor architectures using speculative execution is affected to point where only one way to reduce/eliminate risk will lead to disabling speculative execution - loss of speed will be proportional to code quality and code that designed to be explicitly executed should be not affected. I believe this something deeper than SSD or bitcoin mining - this vulnerabilities addressing foundation of modern CPU's - speculative execution was one of keys to significant processing gain.
    I have no intention to install any patch as simply will not accept performance loss and don't believe that suing Intel for all my 7 computers has any chance to success however i'm almost sure that in future i will not buy anything from Intel as seem Intel was aware of this vulnerabilities from very long time yet they didn't take any serious action to solve this problem - simply lost interest to buy Intel product as over last 20 years Intel began to be a company offering bad quality products. Going for FPGA i will for sure not go for Altera (Intel owned) and now i will for sure not buy Intel CPU.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if this is about it, but think it is. Check the date. Or is it some other vulnerability some absolutely different? And AMD is also affected, isn't? Even Nvidia rely on CPU somehow, mentioned in article. There should be some compensation from companies, when they sold crappy CPUs.
    Under Bios from asus site.
    [Attachment 44491 - Click to enlarge]

Sorry me for not known too much but it seems to me it is some action against it.
    Probably wrong.
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, i was wrong. my friend told me it was another issue, that I posted screen. Also Meltdown somehow solved (clearing cache), but problem is Spectre. What intel patched makes it worse, so now is suggested to go back, before this patch. AMD do nothing according to his report, and it is best can be done for now.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  7. That's why i strongly advise to relax and wait until situation clarify - also Intel and AMD response will be good on future shopping decisions. One or two months and this should be clear.

And yes, ME or AMD PSP are another vulnerability however there is no performance impact expected after patching those vulnerabilities (Intel ME or AMD PSP are hardware+software solution of additional computer on your CPU that allow to control remotely your computer and your data - very good for NSA as it can be controlled remotely even without your permission and sadly i must say it is very difficult to turn it off - in fact at present day you are not allowed to disable ME as it control boot stage of your CPU and special procedure is required to achieve idle ME state - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Disabling_the_Intel_Management_Engine )
    Last edited by pandy; 25th Jan 2018 at 19:37. Reason: Intel ME
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's my understand that, on a scale of 1-10, the risk is actually low for home desktops/laptops/tablets, like a 2.

The real problem is always connected public servers (aka "clouds").

And smart phones, since their security has always sucked.

You'd have to be infected with malware first, so normal safety practices should hopefully keep you fine. Browsers have already been patched for it, and I'm already using ScriptSafe (because NoScript now sucks) and a strict firewall.

The "patches" seem worse than the exploit, causing permanent damage to your system. And most may never have patches anyway.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    It's my understand that, on a scale of 1-10, the risk is actually low for home desktops/laptops/tablets, like a 2.

The real problem is always connected public servers (aka "clouds").

And smart phones, since their security has always sucked.

You'd have to be infected with malware first, so normal safety practices should hopefully keep you fine. Browsers have already been patched for it, and I'm already using ScriptSafe (because NoScript now sucks) and a strict firewall.

The "patches" seem worse than the exploit, causing permanent damage to your system. And most may never have patches anyway.

As for today this is big unknown (at least from my perspective) - those vulnerabilities are very serious as potentially anyone can be relatively easily infected if for example JIT technology product is used (common situation for modern web browsers and JavaScript). It looks to me like end of era of "safe" computing Hardware - next generations CPU will be or slower or will return to "predictive" execution path for example EPIC architecture and this will be very serious challenge for example for compilers, perhaps this will require active programmers assistance to compiler, more work on checking and profiling code, definitely some aspects of programming will be affected by this and this may be a very painful exercise for programmers (i mean data flow aware coding - no more abstract coding and blindly relaying on compiler).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    That's why i strongly advise to relax and wait until situation clarify - also Intel and AMD response will be good on future shopping decisions. One or two months and this should be clear.
    It will be a few years before redesigned/fixed CPUs are available. No point in waiting if you need a computer soon.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Jan 2018 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    That's why i strongly advise to relax and wait until situation clarify - also Intel and AMD response will be good on future shopping decisions. One or two months and this should be clear.
    It will be a few years before redesigned/fixed CPUs are available. No point in waiting if you need a computer soon.
    Intel may reduce CPU price to compensate performance loss... Perhaps AMD may have lower performance loss...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Back to the OP's question. Specific suggestions for a laptop that can edit 4K?
    Quote Quote