VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking for a program that I can increase the Volume of multiple FLAC tracks in one go rather than having to do them one by one, Whats the best one to use ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. Increase volume .. how? There are different ways to go about this. https://superuser.com/questions/323119/how-can-i-normalize-audio-using-ffmpeg
    2. "multiple tracks"? Like, multiple tracks in a single file/container? What container? Or multiple files?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    1. Increase volume .. how? There are different ways to go about this. https://superuser.com/questions/323119/how-can-i-normalize-audio-using-ffmpeg
    2. "multiple tracks"? Like, multiple tracks in a single file/container? What container? Or multiple files?
    Hi
    i have the same problem
    i would like to have serveral tracks that sound with the same loudness
    i have tried audition cc and goldwave and audacity without luck
    i would like to try some free or trial plugin like dmg Limitless or voxengo elephant trial
    all without luck
    i have watched several video on you tube but i had no luck
    the problem is that my audio clips are for example the doors songs, Audioslave or alan parson projects , in short audio that come from different age recording

is there a way to let them sound with the same loudness (normalization or maximization(some use the last word to say normalization?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. ffmpeg allow to perform single pass normalization with help of at least two filters 'dynaudnorm' and 'loudnorm'.
    And loudness is bit tricky as it imply perceived subjective level and can be incorrectly applied for some content (those intentionally designed to push limits out of loudness curve).

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#dynaudnorm
    https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#loudnorm
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    ffmpeg allow to perform single pass normalization with help of at least two filters 'dynaudnorm' and 'loudnorm'.
    And loudness is bit tricky as it imply perceived subjective level and can be incorrectly applied for some content (those intentionally designed to push limits out of loudness curve).

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#dynaudnorm
    https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#loudnorm
    hi
    i have downloaded
    Code:
    ffmpeg-20180124-4dbae00-win64-static.zip
    and i have tried ,but i have not obtained better results compared to audition or goldwave or other software
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's not free but try xrecode if you don't mind.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sheppaul View Post
    It's not free but try xrecode if you don't mind.
    hi
    well i will use it ,hope it can do what i would like
    once i have used replaygain (does make the audio sound week) but ,exported to wave (dither) and normalized
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by rama View Post
    i have downloaded
    Code:
    ffmpeg-20180124-4dbae00-win64-static.zip
    and i have tried ,but i have not obtained better results compared to audition or goldwave or other software
    thanks
    Please provide used command line - ffmpeg can be used in batch in unattended mode i.e. fully automate level normalization - goldwave and comparable approach imply manual operations even with pre-recorded sequence.

btw alternatively you may try to generate metadata with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain - of course it may work or not as this will depend on player capabilities but should be faster as no transcoding required.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please provide used command line - ffmpeg can be used in batch in unattended mode i.e. fully automate level normalization - goldwave and comparable approach imply manual operations even with pre-recorded sequence.
    hi
    i have used via command line and yes it's a great tool
    It's not free but try xrecode if you don't mind.
    hi thanks
    i have tried it and i liked but i'm getting almost result with replaygain with settings

could you judge my settings? are wrong? foobar + replaygain -> album
    it should normalize to the max without clipping

the point is that i try several programs but i got almost the same results , i guess to have the same loudness i should work on each audio file
    thanks

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by rama View Post
    the point is that i try several programs but i got almost the same results , i guess to have the same loudness i should work on each audio file
    It is hard to support you if you not providing any details - at least analyse your audio files for peak level and average RMS level. Perhaps your source is normal (not compressed dynamic) and your perceived loudness is lower than commonly present loudness of dynamic compressed audio.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by rama View Post
    could you judge my settings? are wrong? foobar + replaygain -> album
    it should normalize to the max without clipping
    I assume you're running a ReplayGain scan first and saving the data to the files? Is that the ReplayGain configuration for the converter in your screenshot or the ReplayGain configuration for Playback. It appears to be the latter, so once you've saved the ReplayGain data to the files fb2k will adjust the volume on playback, however.....

Album Gain adjusts the volume of a group of files by the same amount. If that's what you want it's fine, but if one track (for example) has a peak that's already at -2dB, then the maximum volume increase for every track will only be 2dB.

If you want them to all have the same volume, peak normalising is not the way to do it anyway (your settings are effectively peak normalising). As an example, if one track has an average volume that's 10dB less than it's loudest peak and another has an average volume that's 20dB less than it's loudest peak, when you adjust the volume so each track has their loudest peak at maximum, the second track's average volume will be 10dB quieter than the first. In other words, the more dynamic the audio, the quieter it'll sound compared to audio that's not very dynamic.

Run a Track Gain scan, save the ReplayGain info to the files, use Track as the source mode, but leave the pre-amps on 0dB. If ReplayGain is enabled under Playback in preferences, the tracks should be adjusted on playback to the standard ReplayGain volume. Some will have peaks close to 0dB and some will have peaks nowhere near 0dB, but they all should sound pretty much the same volume. If you're not getting enough volume, check your sound card's volume controls to make sure they're at maximum.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 30th Jan 2018 at 04:59.
    Quote Quote