VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. QTGMC is a horrible deinterlacer because each frame shifts up or down by a line, which causes the video to flicker slightly. Is there a better deinterlacer out there?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Hypersonic1 View Post
    QTGMC is a horrible deinterlacer because each frame shifts up or down by a line, which causes the video to flicker slightly. Is there a better deinterlacer out there?
    Maybe your source is the problem or you didn't use it correctly ?

Normal interlaced video has a field offset. Each subsequent field goes up/down/up/down . A "smart" deinterlacer fixes this. A "dumb" deinterlacer leaves you with up/down motion similar to what you are describing

Overall there isn't a better deinterlacer. Overall, QTGMC is the best for most situations (there are some exceptions).

But if your source has special characteristics you might have to take another approach
    Quote Quote  
  3. And if you post a sample, someone will probably make some suggestions as what would be appropriate for your specific video
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    The bobbing is quite intentional. But it should not be visible; instead, it should be filtered and blended while constructing the full frames.

I once had some visible flickering too, but it was caused by either outdated plugins or an unfortunate combination of calling parameters, I don't know for sure; but I got it fixed, and now QTGMC produces rock-stable results even for text screens with narrow stems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Hypersonic1 View Post
    QTGMC is a horrible deinterlacer because each frame shifts up or down by a line, which causes the video to flicker slightly. Is there a better deinterlacer out there?
    I've seen QTGMC do some odd things, but it's pretty rare and probably requires a non-typical source. I remember a video with a scene in a living room where there was an open fire burning, and for some reason QTGMC caused the fire-place to bob up and down while everything around it remained still, but I use QTGMC quite regularly and your experience definitely isn't typical. You probably should upload a small sample.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The field order is correct, but why am I still having problems?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    deleted
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hypersonic1 View Post
    The field order is correct, but why am I still having problems?
    Can't say. Your test.mp4 sample has been processed. We need to see a pieces of the original.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. You need to add SwapFields() before QTGMC(). But need to see the source to say for sure.
    Last edited by jagabo; 22nd Jan 2018 at 07:34.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You need to add SwapFields() before QTGMC().
    That fixed the problem. Thanks!
    Quote Quote