VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread

1. INPUT
    CONTAINER: MKV|WEBM|MP4|MOV|FLV|MXF
    VIDEO: AVC H.264|HEVC H.265|VP9|VC-1
    AUDIO: PCM_S24LE|PCM_S16LE|PCM_DVD|FLAC|VORBIS|TRUEHD|DTS |DCA|EAC3|AC3|AAC|AAC_LATM|MP3|MP2
    SUBTITLE: SRT|SUBRIP | SSA|ASS|MOV_TEXT|HDMV_PGS_SUBTITLE|DVD_SUBTITLE|DVB_S UBTITLE
    OUTPUT
    CONTAINER: MKV|MP4
    VIDEO: *SAME AS INPUT*
    AUDIO: AC3|AAC|MP3|COPY (Dynamic Audio Normalizer (D.A.N) option when encoding to STEREO)
    SUBTITLE: Both TEXT and BITMAP formats (TEXT in MP4 are Apple compatible)
    *NOT ALL THE ABOVE OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE FOR MP4 OUTPUT FILES*

BOX4 v2 is no more, use v3.
    Last edited by video.baba; 7th Oct 2018 at 16:47. Reason: Update
    Quote Quote  
  2. MAIN SCREEN
    Main screen help and usage is now available from the main screen help icon.

PROFILES SCREEN

Change the default independent MKV|MP4 profile settings (CODEC|CHANNELS|BITRATE|D.A.N) as required.

SETTINGS SCREEN (AUDIO|SUBTITLE)

Select how you want audio|subtitle tracks selected by default.

SETTINGS SCREEN (D.A.N)

You can now edit the individual D.A.N parameters.

JOB PANEL

ENABLE|DISABLE: Click to enable/disable each job by clicking the green/red bar at the left of the job panel.
    PATHS: Both input (top) and output (bottom) paths/filenames are shown. You can select a different output folder/filename.
    PROFILE: You can select either of the profiles by clicking the MP4/MKV button. You can toggle ‘web optimized’ by right-clicking the button when the MP4 profile is selected (blue dot will appear).
    TRACKS: Click to show you all the tracks/streams of the input file (see below).

TRACKS (STREAMS) PANEL

You can enable or disable each track by clicking the index number (green/red dot change).
    You can select the audio codec, bitrate, and D.A.N filter for each audio track as required. By default, they’ll be set to the rules of the chosen profile.

***SEMI-HIDDEN OPTIONS*** ***(YOU NEED TO RIGHT-CLICK!)***

1. Enables 'fast-decode' (moov atom at start) for MP4 output files.
    2. Locks output path to that selected (for jobs you load in).
    3. Codec copy override. Will copy audio if codecs match.
    Last edited by video.baba; 25th Feb 2018 at 18:21.
    Quote Quote  
  3. BOX4 V2 (beta 2)

INPUT PARSE:
    Moved some things that were being run in the parsing loop when there was no need.
    Changed all the input structures to classes and properties.
    Simplified culture related parsing.
    Made input parsing more robust.

SETTINGS (D.A.N):
    Fixed culture problems with value inputs.

GENERAL:
    Amended some path displays.
    Streamlined a lot of the basic code logic.
    Shifted some subtitle (profile change) compatibility checks out of the audio loop (doh!).
    If default stream selection set to language that isn't there now defaults to none.

Output stream specifier selections fixed:
    There could have been certain scenarios where the selected streams to be copied or encoded were not chosen correctly.
    - This would have also been a fault with the original 'BOX4 v1' too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. BOX4 v2 (beta 3)
    -Changed from traditional parsing to JSON objects for the input files.
    -Changed from arrays to 'Lists' for streams.
    -Changed folder input files to 'Lists'.
    -Changed from arrays to 'Dictionary' for language codes and selections.
    -Job will auto-disable if source and destination files are the same.
    -Fixed a folder button flashing problem when an incompatible file is in folder mode.
    -Cleaned up and simplified the output options parsing routines.
    -Added 'OUTPUT PATH' selection dialog to the SETTINGS screen.
    -Many other miscellaneous bits 'n' bobs.
    Last edited by video.baba; 6th Feb 2018 at 22:30. Reason: Update
    Quote Quote  
  5. Beta 3 has had huge internal code changes, please report any problems, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Better and better...a couple of "missing" audio conversion profiles:
    1. AC3 Downmix to Stereo (unfortunately needed for some players)
    2. AC3 5.1 to AAC 5.1

Not a huge fan of DAN as I had some (rare TBH) clipping problems and a couple of videos with effects volume higher than dialogues.

I don't know if possible with FFMpeg...but it would be nice to be able to add tracks to existing videos (audio/subtitles) and to set subtitle as forced (MKV)...it will be the "ultimate tool" so to get rid of MKV Toolnix.

I tested some files and everything worked in Beta 3....no bugs noticed
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sharer777 View Post
    Better and better...a couple of "missing" audio conversion profiles:
    1. AC3 Downmix to Stereo (unfortunately needed for some players)
    2. AC3 5.1 to AAC 5.1
    I agree, adding these options would be the way to go.

Originally Posted by sharer777 View Post
    Not a huge fan of DAN as I had some (rare TBH) clipping problems and a couple of videos with effects volume higher than dialogues.
    Yes everyone has different requirements. Actually, it's invaluable for my particular needs. I always put my daughter’s movies on a USB stick with all movies getting the D.A.N treatment. No more going crazy over volume changes both between movies, and during the same movie. Since ‘BOX4 v2 beta 2’ the user can change all the individual D.A.N options. I know D.A.N is not for everyone but when down-mixing, a ‘night-mode’ is an option if people need it.

I don't know if possible with FFMpeg...but it would be nice to be able to add tracks to existing videos (audio/subtitles) and to set subtitle as forced (MKV).
    It’s kind of interesting you mention this, I was thinking the same thing, well at least for subtitles.

I tested some files and everything worked in Beta 3....no bugs noticed :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:
    Thank you very much for testing, and a bigger thank you for giving some feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is it possible to configure a profile to convert audio to AAC but to automatically pass-through if already AAC?
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  9. General feedback:
    The UI is not intuitive. In part because it is unique and not to OS style. For example if settings are open I cannot close via "X". Or I cannot minimize by clicking it in the task bar. I don't know why part of the options are in "settings" and the others in "profiles". The icons of encode start and minimize aren't very clear.

Special feedback:
    I found a problematic file.
    1. Detecting takes several seconds. Cause seem to be mkv attachments.
    2. After outputting to mkv (all other settings to default) the interleaving is bad. The audio track's first block is in the second cluster when video is already at 3.6x seconds. Also it's just one frame per SimpleBlock without lacing (inefficient but not a bug per se). I don't know the cause. If I remux using ffmpeg (-map 0 -c copy) the interleaving is fine.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. @drjtech
    Yes I think it's good to have something like that. Maybe an option that if the source audio matches the codec of your selected profile then default to copy (passthrough).

@sneaker
    Yes the UI is somewhat different, hope it doesn't annoy you too much. The options in the 'profile' section are only relevant to your selected profile, the 'settings' screen are global options, cover everything.

Thanks for the file. MKV attachments... Yes, the program is not dealing with them at the moment. I'll look into it when I've added the other audio options I'm working on.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Quote Quote  
  11. +1 for the stereo ac3 option. I used to use Rebox until some of the ac3 options were removed, so I'm looking forward to trying this latest BOX4. Thanks for all your hard work.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by sharer777 View Post
    AC3 Downmix to Stereo (unfortunately needed for some players)
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    +1 for the stereo ac3 option. I used to use Rebox until some of the ac3 options were removed, so I'm looking forward to trying this latest BOX4. Thanks for all your hard work.
    Surprised 5.1 AC3 is an issue on any player. It came with DVD in the 90s.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    Yes I think it's good to have something like that. Maybe an option that if the source audio matches the codec of your selected profile then default to copy (passthrough).
    That's even better. I hope to see this soon. Thanks for all the hard work.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    +1 for the stereo ac3 option. I used to use Rebox until some of the ac3 options were removed, so I'm looking forward to trying this latest BOX4. Thanks for all your hard work.

When audio player is set to passthrough and target audio system is stereo you can have problems...I well know that video players can be set as stereo only so the downmix is made via the player but often you give video files to friends and they complain there's no audio...so...AC3 downmix is the fastest way to achieve a larger compatibility without instructing others how to set the audio settings.
    Quote Quote  
  15. One more thing...v1 recognize subtitles when forced while this beta doesn't report them. It was a useful option
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    I get better Dolby surround from the ageing little surround sound system upstairs with stereo ac3 audio than I do with stereo aac or mpa. For me, it's not so much about down-mixing from 5.1/7.1 to stereo as it is converting from stereo aac or mpeg to stereo ac3.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by sharer777 View Post
    One more thing...v1 recognize subtitles when forced while this beta doesn't report them. It was a useful option
    Yes of course, one or two betas it will be back in.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    I get better Dolby surround from the ageing little surround sound system upstairs with stereo ac3 audio than I do with stereo aac or mpa. For me, it's not so much about down-mixing from 5.1/7.1 to stereo as it is converting from stereo aac or mpeg to stereo ac3.
    Good to hear that, it will be in the next beta.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    Good to hear that, it will be in the next beta.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by sharer777 View Post
    One more thing...v1 recognize subtitles when forced while this beta doesn't report them. It was a useful option
    I just realised, that is already in the new beta versions, I just checked again. It should already work, a least with my few samples I have. Can you check again?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Not all files but here is an example (same file opened with v1 an v2b3)

Click image for larger version

Name:	box4.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	44669
    Quote Quote  
  22. That's not the same file, unless something very strange is happening...
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	box4c.png
Views:	341
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	44673  

Quote Quote  
  23. You are right...my bad...sorry
    Quote Quote  
  24. UPDATES (beta 4)
    • -Added stereo channel AC3 and multichannel AAC audio encoding options.
    • -Due to above, had to completely re-write the profile and audio routines.
    • -Had to completely re-do the profile controls, although not noticible for the user.
    • -Fixed an audio compatibility check test fail - was falling back too easily.
    • -Added/changed/amended lots of compatibility tests and checks.
    • -Added an audio codec override - passthrough if codecs match.
    • -Added more robustness to the input parsing.
    • -Added various 'error catch' code in important areas.
    • -Started to add some basic 'quick help' screens. (only one at the moment)
    • -Added and changed a few control|selection options.
    • -Started bringing in the subtitle font attachments and passing through if needed.
    • -A few little changes in the way the video information is displayed.
    • -Added the ability to add, or amend, the title of the movie.
    • -Huge amount a code changes and tweaks.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Beta 4 - Tried AC3 5.1 to Stereo and the processed file is still 6 channels
    Quote Quote  
  26. Doh... Yes, you're right, new one will be up soon.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  27. UPDATE (beta 4-2)
    • -Fixed the audio channel problem. (I'd forgot to uncomment out some code.....)

We shall try again. If you have beta 4, make sure it's the beta 4-2 (second version).
    Quote Quote  
  28. Tested 4-2 with several files and everything worked perfectly
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by sharer777 View Post
    Tested 4-2 with several files and everything worked perfectly
    Excellent, thanks for letting me know.
    Quote Quote  
  30. 2.0.0.0
    -Final release (for now).
    -No new additions since last beta, just code checks and tidy-up.
    Quote Quote