VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    there is in many players possibility to have multiple instances. What about to have audio based on windows position. I think, it has to be mixed to mono, played from (in stereo case) both speakers when in center 50% from left and 50% from right. Moving windows to right (there can be some space to test it) so, most on right 0 or 20% from Left and 100 or 80% from right. So have two instances of videos, one on left other on right you can here the sound according to position of windowed players instances. Volume also can be adjusted by screen size (probably possible, don't know if even worse idea)
    Exist something like this, or can this be somehow useful? I can imagine probably waiting for stream start, or listening to online radio station waiting for news, or so.
    I'm not programmer, but it seems to me be easily implement it. Also hardly imagine it. But of course it can be turned on/off if implemented.
    Does it already exist, or is it definitely bad/wrong idea?

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What would you be trying to accomplish if you had such an app?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Scott,
    as I wrote, there can be plenty of reasons. When there is multiple instances possible, why not this? By this I mean when is supposed to watch multiple videos at once. One example, poor family has computer with one monitor, one kids want to watch online sport event, and other wants to watch some movie at same time in same player. This is one example. Or you can make smaller video, watching some movies waiting for live coverage. So you are not too much disturbed when waiting for event start. I think there can be many more reason. Looking on video on left and hear sound from right can be also confusing in case you have 100'' lcd monitor and played multiple videos at once. The downmix to mono, needn't to be in every case, waiting for something online watching film, film needn't to be downmixed to mono.
    Simply I believe it can be useful in some cases. Hard to say, because imagine it isn't easy. Mentioned in OP.
    Probably my examples aren't good enough but I really believe it has some added value in some cases. As mentioned on the start of this reply, it can make sense, when there is multiple instances possible. Probably if applied it can found some supporters, maybe not. It can be also automatically turned off of course when windowed player switched to full screen.
    I repeat myself, so what is the purpose of multiple instances of PC video players?

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for double post just something to add.

Hi,
    there are features, not everybody used but are invaluable. One of them is "always on top" feature. Simply this feature is one of the best, but people are usually watching videos in full screen mode, so never used it. And it doesn't make it less invaluable. When somebody said "A" (multiple videos at once) potplayer for sure has this function, probably VLC and MPC-BE have this also, can this be saying "B" to multiple instances feature. I can find it useful even in one instance window, and I believe, that is understandable why to convert sound mono for this (when multiple instances are used).
    Don't know if anybody ever used A-B repeat function or after file finished send it and related files to recycle bin, seamless playback or repeat playback, so there are features more or less used by ordinary users.
    In potplayer, it is not called "Boss feature" but you can configured it to press esc and it minimize player, pause video.
    So I'm trying to say, there are features, nobody ever used, but very few users found it invaluable. And each such feature makes the player better. Of course there is audio balance on system level, not sure if in every players build in, probably yes, but why to do it manually each time back and forth, when it can be easily done on players level based on some conditions.

Scott thank you for your reply, I hopped there will be more of them, that annihilated this idea, probably not worth to reply.

Edit: Shuffle feature works perfect!!!

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 20th Jan 2018 at 18:14. Reason: Edit: wrong information deleted it
    Quote Quote