VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I want to buy a region free dvd-player (or easily modified).

Could you give me advice about which are not too expensive, good and available in Canada? And that can plays NTSC and PAL.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by CocoChanel; 18th Jan 2018 at 19:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The DVD player rejects the wrong region. The television rejects the wrong video format(PAL).
    Theoretically all DVD players can play both NTSC and PAL....things sometimes go wrong on the OTHER end of the video cable.

Unfortunately you are about 10 years too late to find an abundance of inexpensive, good quality region free players that can also convert PAL to NTSC before it hits the television.
    Not impossible, but nowhere as easy as it used to be.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    The DVD player rejects the wrong region. The television rejects the wrong video format(PAL).
    Theoretically all DVD players can play both NTSC and PAL....things sometimes go wrong on the OTHER end of the video cable.

Unfortunately you are about 10 years too late to find an abundance of inexpensive, good quality region free players that can also convert PAL to NTSC before it hits the television.
    My TV is old, if you mean it by "the other end of the video cable".

I already had a DVD player that could read European DVD with no problem. Until its ultimate breathe. So, I just want to replace it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CocoChanel View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

My TV is old, if you mean it by "the other end of the video cable".

I already had a DVD player that could read European DVD with no problem. Until its ultimate breathe. So, I just want to replace it.
    It converted from PAL to NTSC "on the fly" then....correct?
    And yes, the older the TV the more you will have trouble with PAL video format.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might try an internet search for: 220-electronics.com . They have region free players.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get a cheap media player (an old second-hand WD Live would work), then rip the disk to a hard drive or USB (using freely available free software) and plug it in.

That should play NTSC or PAL files, and the region coding will be irrelevant. It shouldn't cost more than a good DVD player.

You are more likely to have issues with whether your TV can handle the output than region coding per se, as I gather many TVs sold in the US/Canada don't support both PAL and NTSC input. Mercifully, that hasn't been the case here for about a decade.
    Quote Quote