VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So 5-7 years ago I had a Hauppage Win TV internal card and used it sparingly. It's really old and I think drivers for it stopped a long time ago.

I've recently decided to FINALLY dedicate myself to cleaning up my VHS tapes and converting them to digital. Figured by now the technology has come a long way. I saw a CNET article and purchased a Diamond VC500 USB 2.0 One Touch VHS to DVD Video Capture Device (external/USB). In a word...it sucks. Freezes up after 3 minutes every time. Assuming external processing is NOT the way to go but was willing to take the risk given the price.

So I think I am looking for an internal card so the processing can be done much more efficiently. Any recommendations for a good capture card that will work with Windows 10? Just looking for confirmation as articles can only do so much and I trust past opinions I have gotten here.

If it matters:

Current Video Card: EVGA G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card
    Chip: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did see the Osprey 260e mentioned. Am I really looking at $400-$500 to be able to accomplish this? Doesn't seem right to me but maybe that's simply the facts...

Other possibility is that I am over thinking it and a decent USB solution to go from analog to video should work and this one is just not a good one???
    Last edited by 123fish123; 18th Jan 2018 at 11:29.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 123fish123 View Post
    I did see the Osprey 260e mentioned. Am I really looking at $400-$500 to be able to accomplish this? Doesn't seem right to me but maybe that's simply the facts...
    The Osprey 260e can sometimes be found on eBay for much less. If the break-out cables are missing, they can be purchased at B&H Photo. The main advantage of the Osprey 260e is that it has a 3D comb filter to reduce dot-crawl noise when using a composite video source. (It is difficult to find a consumer capture device with a 3D comb filter which is still in production.) The 260e also has a working proc amp and advanced audio controls.

If someone uses a DVD recorder (Panasonic ES-10 or ES-15) as a pass-through device for VHS capture (to eliminate flagging and tearing) and captures from the DVD recorder's S-video out, a 3D comb filter on the capture device isn't necessary. (Dot crawl noise is an inherent problem when using composite video connections but not S-video connections. These DVD recorders use a 3D comb filter to process composite input for output over S-Video.) A DVD recorder might help with your VC500.

USB itself is probably not the cause of your problem. There are other USB devices if you can't get the VC500 to work. (All have a 2D comb filter):
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00428BF1Y/
    https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-610-USB-Live-Digitizer-Capture/dp/B0036VO2BI/

If you must have an internal card, there are few PCI-e consumer capture devices left on the market, but they will have 2D comb filters. This is one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1196-HVR-1265-Express-Definition/dp/B0014YFC18/
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There are several threads here about capturing VHS tapes using the simplest $25 USB capture devices and free capture applications such as Vdub you just have to learn as you go, There is no such unique and best way to capture, It all depends on the condition of your tapes, the quality of the VCR you are using, the workflow that you choose...etc.

Since you haven't described how you are capturing, what software you are using and what codec you are capturing to, I'm going to make some blind suggestions:
    - Never use the software that came with the capture card.
    - If your tapes are not stable consider using a VCR with built in TBC
    - Capture lossless and encode later
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    There are several threads here about capturing VHS tapes using the simplest $25 USB capture devices and free capture applications such as Vdub you just have to learn as you go, There is no such unique and best way to capture, It all depends on the condition of your tapes, the quality of the VCR you are using, the workflow that you choose...etc.

Since you haven't described how you are capturing, what software you are using and what codec you are capturing to, I'm going to make some blind suggestions:
    - Never use the software that came with the capture card.
    - If your tapes are not stable consider using a VCR with built in TBC
    - Capture lossless and encode later
    Thanks! I am indeed using the software that came with the capture USB tool I referenced above. perhaps my first step should be to use another software???
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    S-VHS and VHS recorders with a line TBC which are in good working order are rare and fairly expensive items in 2017. The DVD recorders I recommended for pass-through devices are a more common and less expensive substitute for the line TBC in those VCRs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    S-VHS and VHS recorders with a line TBC which are in good working order are rare and fairly expensive items in 2017. The DVD recorders I recommended for pass-through devices are a more common and less expensive substitute for the line TBC in those VCRs.

Appreciate the response. Can you recommend a software that might work better than the software provided with the tool? I'm capturing direct from VHS to PC in an uncompressed mode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

Appreciate the response. Can you recommend a software that might work better than the software provided with the tool? I'm capturing direct from VHS to PC in an uncompressed mode.
    AmaRecTV or maybe Virtualdub Filter Mod
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So 5-7 years ago I had a Hauppage Win TV internal card and used it sparingly. It's really old and I think drivers for it stopped a long time ago.
    I don't see why you didn't just build an XP system for capture. You can use you (almost) latest in hardware, PCI is readily available, and you don't need more than 4gb RAM. The Hauppauge at 15mbps MPEG capturing via WinTV would probably give less headaches. Note that the 150 model was terrible. I refer to 250/350.

Modern internal cards don't exist. The SD/capturing era is over, we only have legacy hardware, and some external USB devices to use now.

Trying an ancient Osprey card in Win10 probably isn't going to happen.

The VC500 is hit-or-miss, mixed review, we get complaints and praises all the time.
    The ATI 600 USB is still what I'd consider superior, and works on all Windows from WinXP to Win10.

There are several threads here about capturing VHS tapes using the simplest $25 USB capture devices and free capture applications such as Vdub
    Those are threads by clueless folks, where quality obviously doesn't matter. I wish it was as easy as $25 and an old VCR, but it's just not. That's just nonsense that's divorced from reality.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    According to Osprey, they have drivers for the 260e which work for Windows 7 SP1 through 10 https://www.ospreyvideo.com/index.php/downloads/drivers
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Those are threads by clueless folks, where quality obviously doesn't matter. I wish it was as easy as $25 and an old VCR, but it's just not. That's just nonsense that's divorced from reality.
    You contributed in a lot of those threads. If you read my entire post I did suggest a VCR with TBC, As for the capture device mine actually cost me $10 used, You can get a decent capture device on ebay if you know what you are looking for and stay away from Chinese junk, Also it doesn't have to be new.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As for the capture device mine actually cost me $10 used, You can get a decent capture device on ebay if you know what you are looking for and stay away from Chinese junk, Also it doesn't have to be new.
    True, deals happen ... though not often.

I refer to certain posters swearing that an old free VCR and $25 Easycap (Easycrap) "works great". There are some VH trolls that post that nonsense in recent years. It's disinformation, and harms the newbie that doesn't know it's bad/fake advice.

You seem to know what's what.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM

THANKS! I have those tools now but they don't even recognize my capture device. Weird!!! I'll keep playing. I know I installed my drivers and the software that comes with it recognizes it. Man you think this'd be easier. Half of me thinks I should just toss these VHS tapes but man there's some good old home movies on them!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    THANKS! I have those tools now but they don't even recognize my capture device. Weird!!! I'll keep playing. I know I installed my drivers and the software that comes with it recognizes it. Man you think this'd be easier. Half of me thinks I should just toss these VHS tapes but man there's some good old home movies on them!
    It requires a lot of patience, Sometimes rebooting the computer few times helps, Vertualdub should definitely recognize your device if you go to device tab and select it from there, I'm not familiar with AmaRecTV.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    According to Osprey, they have drivers for the 260e which work for Windows 7 SP1 through 10 https://www.ospreyvideo.com/index.php/downloads/drivers
    Nor is the 260e particularly ancient, as it's still for sale brand new. I like this card because it has composite, s-video and component video inputs, and balanced/unbalanced audio inputs. The driver was obviously written by people who know video. You can choose Rec. 601 pixels or square pixels, which video line to start on, and how many lines to capture. You can adjust the horizontal delay and size. You can get Closed Caption DirectShow output or leave it embedded in the frame. And it converts a mess of NTSC and PAL formats.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ...Trying an ancient Osprey card in Win10 probably isn't going to happen...
    Au contraire, @lordsmurph!
    At the university where I work, we have scores of Osprey 230, 260, and similar. In use as we speak. Running on Win10Enterprise64 (1607, 1703, and 1709), on Dell Optiplex boxes. Running 24/7.
    Have to do some tweaking with the install & settings, but they work just fine.
    Mainly they are used for onscreen preview of external devices, but work excellently for capture (or SD video conferencing in a pinch). More costly & harder to find, but worth every penny.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    ...Trying an ancient Osprey card in Win10 probably isn't going to happen...
    Au contraire, @lordsmurph!
    At the university where I work, we have scores of Osprey 230, 260, and similar. In use as we speak. Running on Win10Enterprise64 (1607, 1703, and 1709), on Dell Optiplex boxes. Running 24/7.
    Have to do some tweaking with the install & settings, but they work just fine.
    Mainly they are used for onscreen preview of external devices, but work excellently for capture (or SD video conferencing in a pinch). More costly & harder to find, but worth every penny.

Scott
    Good to know.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM

An active capture device isn't automatically detected and selected by these programs. You have to select the device from one of the software's menus, and select the audio and video inputs. I don't have a suitable capture device installed in this system now to use with AmaRecTV, and I can't tell you exactly what to do from memory.
    Quote Quote  
  19. If it's recognised by Vdub then it should be recognised by AmarecTV. Note: You want to use v3.10 or lower of AmarecTV otherwise you'll have to purchase their codec to use it or suffer a watermark. If you've already installed v4 or later then you may need to use something like Revo Uninstaller to completely remove it before installing v3.10 or earlier. (I seem to remember I had issues with leftovers after using the standard uninstall.)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Have you tried VLC? Few people know it can be used as capture software. Give it a try it might do the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Christopher2222 View Post
    Have you tried VLC? Few people know it can be used as capture software. Give it a try it might do the trick.
    I've tried VLC with a capture device in the past. It is inferior software for that purpose. Users are not given a choice of composite or S-video. Users need to guess a number to use for "video input pin" instead. Also, VLC uses its own internal codecs for capture. None are lossless.

AmarecTV or Virtualdub are better.
    Quote Quote