VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The data position of VBR video/audio (e.g. DVD-Video) can not be calculated like CBR/ABR, where one just needs to multiply the stream size with a division of selected position and total playback time to determine the position.

But with variable bitrate, it is less simple.

Example: How do I know, which data position or LBA the 1526th second in a VBR movie (occasionally among interleaved VBR audio) has?
    Where exactly, on what megabyte position of the disc is that position/frame saved?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Different containers (e.g. AVI, MKV, MP4) have different ways to handle this problem. Usually the muxers create some sort of index that allows fast seeking (like table of contents in a book). Basically a table of video (key)frames with their timecode and the corresponding file position. Because of video/audio interleaving the audio will be at about the same position.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Different containers (e.g. AVI, MKV, MP4) have different ways to handle this problem. Usually the muxers create some sort of index that allows fast seeking (like table of contents in a book). Basically a table of video (key)frames with their timecode and the corresponding file position. Because of video/audio interleaving the audio will be at about the same position.
    Interesting.
    On a DVD-Video with MPEG-2, how do I find out the LBA position of the 1000th second of playback time? (let's assume: frame number 50000 due to 50fps).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Timecode.
    With mpeg-ps/vob/ts there is presentation time stamps (PTS) in the stream that you can read - and is what apps/devices use to find a particular time. NOT lba/sector.
    You have it backwards, the devices don't care what lba/sector one needs to go to to get to the 1000th second, they just go through to the 1000th second's timestamp (probably skip reading the TC along the way), and whatever lba/sector they land on, that's where they are.
    Note: due to the nature of B-frame ordering, you may need to pay attention to decoding timestamps also, as b-frames' existence clearly would affect a calculation of accumulated lba/sector distance.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have my own video playback app.
    It would start at the same point but hardly ever show the same fraction of a second.
    Because indexers, wifi, security and other apps are busting in ....

I primarily want to see the segment or very close to it....

My solution was to have the app start at a point very close multiple times.

Start at 1000 seconds in and play for 1/30 second and pause
    start at 1000.01 seconds in and play for 1/30 second and pause
    again and again maybe 10 times. You will see what is at that point in the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Those other things should have nothing to do with seek accuracy. Sounds like your app isn't designed properly. Time to get a different one - there are plenty out there that work as intended.

:roll eyes:

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. ffmpeg's ffprobe.exe can write a .CSV file (easily opened in any spreadsheet program) with a record of presentation timestamps (the time a frame is displayed) along with packet positions (the position of a frame in the video stream - I think). I made a batch file and wrote it up here, but the heart of it is very simple:
    Code:
    @echo entry,media_type,key_frame,pkt_pts,pkt_pts_time,pkt_dts,pkt_dts_time,best_effort_timestamp,^
    best_effort_timestamp_time,pkt_duration,pkt_duration_time,pkt_pos,pkt_size,^
    width,height,pix_fmt,sample_aspect_ratio,pict_type,coded_picture_number,^
    display_picture_number,interlaced_frame,top_field_first,repeat_pict > "ffprobe.csv"

ver > nul

ffprobe.exe -select_streams v -print_format csv -show_entries frame "my_file.xyz" >> "ffprobe.csv"
    Opened in a spreadsheet, you see:

(beware, the columns ffprobe puts out may have changed since 2014 when I last used it)

(EDIT you need to understand Scott's post #4 to even begin to understand this data)
    Last edited by raffriff42; 21st Jan 2018 at 17:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great stuff Raffriff42!! The output might have changed a little (ffprobe 2015) but its all there if, as you and Scott mentioned, you understand the data.

[Attachment 44467 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Those other things should have nothing to do with seek accuracy. Sounds like your app isn't designed properly. Time to get a different one - there are plenty out there that work as intended.

:roll eyes:

Scott
    you can tell apps where to start. But they seldom show the same few frames to start... Especially if you are jumping 4 or 5 minutes in.

Nope you know not of what you speak.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are having that kind of trouble, you are doing it wrong or using the wrong app or both.

And I think my history here is clear testimony that I DO know of what I speak. Look in the mirror, dude.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    If you are having that kind of trouble, you are doing it wrong or using the wrong app or both.

And I think my history here is clear testimony that I DO know of what I speak. Look in the mirror, dude.

Scott
    Try and show off objects that are faint - extremely fast - or Slow Slow.
    You need repetition, slow motion and fast forward like My app has. Nope you can't touch this method of timeline playback.

Show me the segments of video where the Sky Creatures show their stuff..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URT8GhC1ITA

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/demo85_pict7.mpg
    Last edited by SpectateSwamp; 24th Jan 2018 at 10:49. Reason: add a youtube video link
    Quote Quote  
  12. What you see is far more important than any precision time code. PERIOD

The feature (not completely tested out) can show me 4 and 5 segments of the video. Again and again. You see things that are repeated.. You just do.

Another use I had for time code playback... Is to eliminate the jiggle at the beginning and end of a video when you are zoomed way out.
    At 1/8 mile drag races I get over 200 clips. Situated down by the finish line...
    I Have a remote. Without it, I can eliminate that problem. By starting 1/2 second into each clip and playing 1 second less than the total length..
    Jiggles are very annoying.

Last edited by SpectateSwamp; 24th Jan 2018 at 10:28. Reason: add sample video from the drag races
    Quote Quote  
  13. Simply decode video before and after interesting area - there is no other way to do frame accurate seek - if you add to this closed/open GOP and frame relations/dependencies there is no other way than decode frames to buffer and navigate within buffer - that's why special codecs for studio production exist - they offer only Intra frames and every frame is independent instance. If your recording will be this kind of format then there is no problem with accurate navigation over your timeline.
    You can create smaller size video intentionally for preview with intra coded frames to quickly navigate and read frame position from this preview.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    You can create smaller size video intentionally for preview with intra coded frames to quickly navigate and read frame position from this preview.
    I keep my video clips short Usually under 3 minutes.
    When shooting political forum video, I will use mpg2cut2 to break them up. That is about the only editing I need to do. EVER

I'd like to see what some of these video apps can do with these Sky Creatures.

When you use timeline playback you have way less video clip clutter everywhere. You lose things / video that way.
    Back up is simpler. Keep a copy of mpg and a copy of the original video format. 2 or more copies is a good backup.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't pinpoint exact data locations for a visual image when it's GOP. The group contains the data, not the exact frame. That's why you have to index it before it can be edited (which is a frame-exact access). At least that's always been my understanding. And pretty sure I'm correct here.

VBR vs. CBR doesn't even matter here.

You said DVD-Video, meaning MPEG-2, so about 15-length GOP with 2-3 P and 9-12 B. Noting that GOP length can vary based on scene change smart encoding.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    You can't pinpoint exact data locations for a visual image when it's GOP. The group contains the data, not the exact frame. That's why you have to index it before it can be edited (which is a frame-exact access). At least that's always been my understanding. And pretty sure I'm correct here.
    It's a bit more complicated.
    For example in MKV container with cues (index) I want to jump to the frame at 01:30:00. The nearest keyframe is listed in the cues as being at 01:29:55. So I jump there and then forward to 01:30:00.

But: if I am in AviSynth I don't want to jump to just "01:30:00". I want to jump to e.g. frame #50000. But the MKV container doesn't hold this information in any index and since it is variable framerate (by design) I cannot reliably calculate fps * time. So e.g. ffvideosource has to parse every single frame of the file first so that I can jump to frame #50000.
    Some containers are even worse. Transport streams don't even have an integrated index in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  17. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb8cnBJL7fU

The absolute data displayed is what is important.
    There are 8 or 9 more segments where the sky creature zips by..
    I'll do the same for them...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @RaffRiff42... In thread number 7, I noticed the 'display_picture_numbers' are not in sequence although the times are increasing at a regular rate. Any Ideaswhy they are shown this way?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  19. That's because a long-GOP codec writes the frames out of order - I'm not really up on the details.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @raffriff42 ... Thanks. With that I was able to find the following which explains the order. Unfortunately, when you seek to a particular frame, it is (I believe...) the display sequence. The CSV output shown earlier makes this hard to parse with the correct display timing. At least its understandable now. Thanks for the valuable info.

Display order: I(1) B(2) B(3) P(4) B(5) B(6) P(7)
    Transmit order: I(1) P(4) B(2) B(3) P(7) B(5) B(6)

The short answer for why this is so: Due to the bidirectional nature of B frame prediction the decoder must first process the previous and next reference frames. For example, to decode B(2) the decoder must first have I(1) and P(4).

The easy way (for most sequences) to reorder frames from transmission to display is to look at the temporal_reference in the picture header which gives you the location of the frame in display order.
    Quote Quote