VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please clarify, are you saying that 2TB of of blank Blu-Ray discs are 35% cheaper than 2TB of external HDD storage? Unless prices in Europe are way different than in the U.S., your price comparison seems to be off.

I made a comparison of optical disc storage vs HDD storage back in 2016 and calculated costs of $33.20/TB for Blu-Ray (40 discs @ $0.83) vs $35/TB for HDD (external or internal). A quick price check on Verbatim Blu-Ray blanks shows them to still be ~$0.83/disc and 2TB portable external HHDs are still around $35/TB.

Yes, 3.5" 2TB external HHDs are hard to find, but jump to 3TB+ drives and you're looking at less than $35/TB, as low as <$20/TB when you get to 8TB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    O.K i was just looking for seagate and WD discs. And yes, it is 35% cheaper to buy 2TB in BD discs here. Also notice when you bought bigger package, not 10 but 25 pack you get even lower. And I'm also sure you are right about bigger HDD are cheaper, 3TB HDD but still 25 dollars for cheaper buy BDs. And has to say it is far cheapest seagate, wouldn't bet at this HDD too much.

Edit: the problem seems to be dollar is now 3/4 what used to be, and they forgot to get hdd prices down. It is quite common, seems to me. On other hand BD are still same so.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 20th Jan 2018 at 17:59. Reason: EDIT
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Just made comparison of 2TB of bluray (8x10 pack of 25GB) vs 2TB external HDD from brands i can believe in their quality. Bluray discs are 65% of cheapest 2TB external 3,5'' HDD.
    I don't trust some brands from personal experience, and also prefer 3,5'' discs.

Bernix
    Just be careful which ones you buy. The cheaper 25GB LTH ones are made using DVD-like dyes and don't have good reliability/longevity. HTL disks seem to cost a bit more, but in most of the studies I have seen they are rated much better for long term storage and reliably. I understand that all 50/100GB BDRs are HTL, but only some of the 25GB ones are.

I use BDR for my cold storage backup, so would pretty much only go to them if my main file store (RAID array) failed*, and the relevant USB hard drive (because of fiddliness of recovering off 10/100s of optical disks, USB hard drives are my first line of backup) also failed. I have just over 400 burned disks stored out of the house as my backup fallback. Here in NZ the the local availability of media is terrible, and we are at the tail end of the international supply chain, so I use 50GB disks and import them myself. What I lose in the extra per-GB disk cost is easily offset by the shipping savings from reduced spindle count. Plus, it saves a bit on storage space.

* Unless I needed a movie etc that I figured I would never want again and had deleted from the main server to free up space. I burn batches of files to BDR as I transfer them to the server. Since the disks are write-once, files stick around after they are purged from the main array.
    Last edited by Chopmeister; 21st Jan 2018 at 00:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, i don't compared LTH, only HTL that never failed at my side (just some Verbatim DL). LTH are not more sold I hope. And yes, I'm sure compared HTL.
    So pricing strategy in my country is bit different than in overseas areas.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Going back to my original question on what DVDs are more reliable.

These are the types we can get here in Brazil. I'm not sure if they are their cheap bad quality variety.

In a few months I may be able to buy a better type in Argentina, byt I wonder what type these ones I show are.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	44487  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    I'm not sure if they are their cheap bad quality variety.
    They appear to be good ones: labeling as expected. Rated 2.4× instead of 8×, so burning takes a bit longer, though.
    Quote Quote