VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi, newbie here to the video editing world.
    In Dec I had a video xfer service copy a bunch of VHS tapes to DVD.
    After watching them I want to slice and dice them up for our kids, and brothers and sister.

To do this I need to put portions of each DVD to a file, merge pieces together and copy to a DVD.

Seemed easy enough when I first thought of this project. But the further I got into it I realize, I'm way out of my league.

I read PC Mags reviews of video editing software before buying anything and found out a basic video editor comes with Windows 10 Essentials. Kewl.

I load that up and try to read my DVD. No go. I can read a video made on my phone but cannot load anything from the DVD.

Further digging made me think the guy that transferred the VHS to DVD used apple software that cannot be read by Windows Movie Maker.

So, I thought maybe I can stream the DVD but what do use to accomplish this. I've searched and saw what might be a potential solution, but thought before I jump on any solution I need advice from those who have dome something similar. So here I am.

Below is a screen shot of what I see on the DVD. Mostly audio files and how the audio and video are tied together has me confused. As these movies have sounds and voices that match up. So maybe these are not just audio files.
    As you can see I need HELP. Thx for any advice.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dirOfDVD.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	44414  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    apple software has nothing to do with the making a dvd. they are a video spec that any o.s. can create. the vobs on the discs contain mpg video inside, and other things like subtitles. to get the video out of the vobs you can use something like vob2mpg. the free version works fine. once you have mpg video you may be able to use wmm to edit it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    vob2mpg is good advice. But wmm isn't. The world has always known that Windows Movie Maker is crapware. The owner of the DVD already has a quality issue by having his originals encoded to a lossy codec not designed for re-encoding without quality loss. I'll bet they charged money for it, too. Better idea is to use vob2mpg to get mpg off the discs and onto a computer, then find smart-rendering software for the edits. I'm certain that the owner doesn't know what smart-rendring editors are, but he'd better find out or his videos will look worse. TMPGenc MPG Smart Renderer would be one solution: it can also pull the entire video off the DVD, smart render the edits, and fix up the results for authoring to a new DVD all in one program.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks guys for the advice.
    Maybe I should backup a step.
    The owner of the DVD already has a quality issue by having his originals encoded to a lossy codec not designed for re-encoding without quality loss. I'll bet they charged money for it, too.
    Yes, I was charged a good bit of money for this 'service'.
    I do have the videos on VHS. I suppose I could use those as input if that would be better. Sadly, I'm not even sure I have a VHS player that works, but I have not tried them for a long long time.

I am not clear on this statement ... am I the 'owner' you are speaking of? Or are you speaking of the owner of the video service I hired to convert my VHS movies to DVD?

I'm certain that the owner doesn't know what smart-rendring editors are, but he'd better find out or his videos will look worse. TMPGenc MPG Smart Renderer would be one solution: it can also pull the entire video off the DVD, smart render the edits, and fix up the results for authoring to a new DVD all in one program.
    I started out looking for the best program to accomplish this 'rendering' for me, but reading reviews were confusing. There were enough negatives about everything I found. Some liked it, some did not. So I finally wised up and came to where the folks that are in the know hang out. I will spend money for the right smart rendering software. But I need guidance on pluses and negatives of the options available. Is Is TMPGenc MPG the best solution for all this for me?

Thanks to your replies, I think I have learned that I want to render the videos to mpg format. I will try the vob2mpg program and will be watching hoping for more replies with help in picking a good video editor, with pluses and weaknesses of each.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I downloaded VOB2MPG and installed. When running I get this error.
    I thought NET stuff was built into Win 10. Appears I am wrong.

Name:	VOB2MPG_Error.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	44418  

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    You are the "owner" of the DVD as well as the original VHS.

Most smart-rendring editors/encoders that are worth their salt are paid programs. There are a few free ones, but most are not smart rendering or will simply re-encode the entire video, which is not what you want. They are not able to import VHS. You need an analog to digital capture device for that.

All VOB2MPG does is copy the VOB files to your computer as an mpg file. No editing or other features. TMPGenc cann do the whole job, including pulling the video content off the DVD, editing, smart rendering, and MPG output for authoring to DVD. TMPGEnc is popular, reasonably priced, and has built a good reputation among hobbyists and advanced users for many years. They offer a trial version. It accepts many other formats, including MPG, h264, and most internet download types.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thank you.
    Last edited by ZeroG; 16th Jan 2018 at 14:29.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might try DVDVob2Mpg . I've had better luck with it than VOB2MPG. VOB2MPG is no longer being developed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ZeroG View Post
    I do have the videos on VHS. I suppose I could use those as input if that would be better. Sadly, I'm not even sure I have a VHS player that works, but I have not tried them for a long long time.
    Then you would be opening a whole new Pandora's Box. In an ideal world, you would have losslessly compressed video to work with, but MPEG2 (the format on your DVDs) can look pretty good and I bet your friends and family will not notice the loss of quality when you re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Update. I tried VOB2MPG with no luck. It said it worked but only VOB files in the target directory. Made no sense. So ... while on youtube looking at a VOB2MPG how to I click the next video when that did not help ....and found something called Handbrake.
    No clue why it's called handbrake because I went to the site and downloaded it from Wonder Share .net: https://www.wondershare.net/
    I download the trial version and it worked like a champ. But would only convert 1/3 of my clip due to size and the free version. So for $49 I bought a lifetime license and converted my files to MP4. Worked like a charm.
    Now I'll be looking for video editor suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Re-encoded to another lossy codec, and hard-to-edit large GOP's at that. And likely on to one of those free non-smart rendering editors. What a shame.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please stop what you're doing, answer a few questions and wait for replies before continuing on with what you're doing since you've already been taken down one wrong path and probably two.

I'm concerned that you were lead to Wondershare (which is not used or recommended by the majority of members here) through a search on Youtube for Handbrake. Many times Youtube videos and magazine related reviews are sponsored and/or don't offer lower cost or free alternatives. If you had searched for Handbrake on this forum. you would have seen that it's only only highly recommended, but it's free.

Also, by using Wondershare to convert your video to .mp4, you lost quality and as LMotlow stated editing ease and capabilities. In addition, if you want to make a Video DVD (what you have now), you'll incur additional lost quality as you have to convert your .mp4 back to mpeg2.

Questions:

Do you want to make a Video DVD (which is what you currently have) which will be playable or standalone DVD players and computers? Or do you want to make a Data DVD that will (generally) only be playable on computers.

- If you want to make a Video DVD, you want to keep the video as mpeg2 for the highest quality and ease of editing.
    - If you're making a Data DVD, you can put your edited .mp4 directly on the disc, but there may still be compatibility issues.

What version of Windows (Win 7, 8, 10? Home, Premium, Ultimate?) are you using. You mention Windows 10 and Windows 10 Essentials (assuming you installed it as an add-on). What are your computer specifications?

- DVDVob2Mpg was last updated in 2010 and like many older programs may have compatibility issues with newer Windows versions, especially Windows 10. There may be workarounds such as running the program in Compatibility Mode or as Administrator.
    - Many older programs may require an older .net version that has to be manually installed on newer Windows versions.
    - You tried VOB2MPG and stated that it didn't work without any explanation of why or allowing time for someone to address your statement. If you had given an explanation of the error(s) you encounter, especially with information about what Windows and other software you're using, someone would likely have been able to help.

What type of editing do you want to do?

- You say you want "slice and dice" your videos. Do you want to cut and paste various segments together? Are the DVDs your only source (i.e. no photos, no other videos, no text)? Do you plan to add transitions between segments? Do you want a menu?
    - These may be things you're not concerned with now, but many posters return to ask how to do these things and more. Your choice of editing program(s) will depend of what do or don't plan to do.

Are you in a rush to complete your project?

- It's been just over 24 hours between your first and latest posts. The members here are great about helping, but everyone is contributing on their free time, so it may take a day or more for someone to respond to your post.

Most of the members here, particularly those who have posted on this topic so far strive to achieve the best quality results, often attainable with for the lowest cost (free when possible)!
    Last edited by lingyi; 16th Jan 2018 at 22:37.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded VOB2MPG and installed. When running I get this error.
    I thought NET stuff was built into Win 10. Appears I am wrong.

some older programs need to be installed outside the normal win10 folder c:/program files(86). if you have more than one hard drive try installing it to d:/program files(86) or make up a folder like c:vob2mpg to install to. then go to the vob2mpg .exe file and right click on it go to properties compatibility and check the box for run as administrator. click apply then ok. now try to run it.

if it still won't run move on to dvdvob2mpg and try the same tricks if needed.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks guys.
    Okay ...sounds like my move to wonder share was not so bright. I was just glad to see something work.
    My goal is to be able to edit home movies that have been put on DVD in VOB format and create DVD's to pass out to family to show on their DVD players.

I will keep trying and report back issues or success. thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    VOB2MPG and variants do only one thing: they translate the audio-video content of VOB files from a DVD disc into single mpg files onto your computer. They're safe and free, but all they do is copy from one place to another. They don't edit and they won't let you make a new DVD. If you want to use separate programs for each of the operations you plan, you'll find that free software is very limited and not all that easy to use. What you're looking for is a program that can extract the VOB information from a DVD into editable form on your PC. From there you need an editor that allows you to cut segments and rejoin them, and that can do so in a smart-rendering, frame-specific manner without re-encoding the entire video. The output should be mpeg2 that can be authored to a new DVD. There are not many programs that can do all that at once; they're not free, but they are aren't very expensive. TMPGenc can do all that without screwing up your videos, and has other features that allow transitions and other effects. The only thing TMPGenc won't do is author a new DVD for you with menus and other features, although TMPGEnc will allow you to create an official DVD without menus if you want one. For authoring and burning, there are several free and paid programs -- paid authoring programs have more features, but there are a few freebies around that can produce good work.

Not all editing programs can smart render MPEG. Even some popular branded NLE's will no longer do it properly. Re-encoding lossy codecs like MPEG2 or h264 involves visible quality loss and often results in lost audio sync. These lossy codecs are called final delivery formats because they are highly compressed and were not designed for further work. Not many editors can smart-render cuts and joins with final delivery formats without inflicting heavy damage. So watch out for these "converters" and cutters, especially the free and cheap ones.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks again. I appreciate the guidance and explanation which help me understand why I should use one versus the other.
    I'm not at all set on one program to do all.
    Nor am I only considering free software. I will pay for the better quality product.

I own DVD-FAB. Guessing that can be used to burn the DVD's.
    What I don't have and still looking for help on is an editor. What product(s) would you recommend. Free or paid, which one is worth putting the time in to learn so that I can use it for a long time to come. I recently bought a video camera an want to be able to make more DVD's from that to share with family. Thanks guys!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Back to trying VOB2MPG. Uninstalled. Removed some other pgms. Ran MalwareBytes ...downloaded and installed a fresh copy of VOB2MPG.
    This seemed to work. I can open VOB2MPG without the error I was getting before.

I have tried setting folder containing VOB sets to:
    E: drive which as DVD in it.
    And a Copied dir with DVD copied to location on dive. Get same two errors with both locations. I'm missing something.

When I did click continue on the 2nd error. It ran and ran. No progress shown on the progress bars at all. So I killed it.

Please advise:

Name:	Vob2mpgError2.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	44434  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vob2mpgError1.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	44435  

Last edited by ZeroG; 18th Jan 2018 at 17:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    You might try DVDVob2Mpg . I've had better luck with it than VOB2MPG. VOB2MPG is no longer being developed.
    Thank you for the suggestion Redwudz.
    I tried this one and it appeared to work. but once changed to MPG all I have is audio.

Something simple I'm sure but at least I feel I'm getting somewhere. and I'm living up to the 'newbie' nickname no matter how hard I try. I will get there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It appears the problem is Windows 10 and the windows media player.

Digging on the DVDVob2Mpg web site someone else had the same issue as me. The answer is simple enough. Use a different video player and the video and audio should be in the MPG output file. Sure nuff it was.

They recommended Video Lan's VLC media player. It's a freebie. I downloaded that and wala. the converted MPG files play like a charm. http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.8/win32/vlc-2.2.8-win32.exe

So now I need a video editor. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might try AVIDemux. Not the best, but easy to use. If you want a more full featured editor, some here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/video-editors-mpg-dvd

The pay editors are good if you want transitions and fairly easy operation. I'll leave that to other members for suggestions.

VLC is always a good choice to have on hand as it plays most anything and doesn't need to install codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @redwudz

The OP has stated that he/she wants to also create Video DVDs from files from a video camera. Highly likely not Mpeg2.

Thanks guys.
    Okay ...sounds like my move to wonder share was not so bright. I was just glad to see something work.
    My goal is to be able to edit home movies that have been put on DVD in VOB format and create DVD's to pass out to family to show on their DVD players.

I will keep trying and report back issues or success. thanks again.
    I own DVD-FAB. Guessing that can be used to burn the DVD's.
    What I don't have and still looking for help on is an editor. What product(s) would you recommend. Free or paid, which one is worth putting the time in to learn so that I can use it for a long time to come. I recently bought a video camera an want to be able to make more DVD's from that to share with family. Thanks guys!!!!!
    Good to hear you've been able to make progress with getting your files into an editable state. Now you're ready to take the next step, but it would be helpful to everyone for you to clarify what type of 'editing' you want to do, as that will help with a suggestion for an editing program. Many of the members here (myself excluded) are very knowledgeable about video editing and could suggest programs that would allow simple cutting and pasting to programs the could be used to produce production level DVDs.

Please specify what type of "editing" you want to do, now and into the future (simple cut and paste, transitions, special effects. menus, etc). That will help the members suggest the best program(s) for you.

In addition, you've stated you have a video camera and want to make more Video DVDs from the videos from that. The videos from your camera almost certainly incompatible with the Video DVD standards and will need to be converted for playback on a Video DVD. It would be very helpful to state what type of camera you have and if possible the types of video files it creates. Also, keep your current and future goals in mind. You want to create Video DVDs now, but would you like to make higher quality (e.g. Blu-Ray or 4K) versions later. Higher quality videos require different settings in your camera.

I hope you don't think I'm being harsh, but I suggest you slow down and think about, then clearly state what you want to do and take things one at a time. There's nothing wrong with being a "newbie", but I've I've seen many topics like yours ending with either the originator or the posters getting frustrated because they're not communicating on the same level.

Edit: Don't be afraid to ask questions about terms you don't know or understand (e.g. NLE, smart rendering, keyframes, lossy vs. lossless compression, etc). As I've stated before, most of the members here are very knowledgeable and helpful, but sometimes forget that the average laypersons (myself included) understanding of these types of things is limited.

BTW, only DVD-FAB DVD COPY can burn DVDs, but when you mention DVD-FAB, most members think of DVD-FAB RIPPER which can't burn DVDs. Also, the only DVD burning program recommended here is IMGBurn which is also free.
    Last edited by lingyi; 18th Jan 2018 at 18:54.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    VLC is always a good choice to have on hand as it plays most anything and doesn't need to install codecs.
    Potplayer is another player to have. I recently added that to my system because of some difficult to play 4K videos. My path for difficult to play videos: MPC-HC (my goto player) > VLC > Potplayer. If it doesn't play in Potplayer, I'm pretty darn sure it's unplayable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks redwudz and lingyi for your informative responses. I appreciate your patience and helpful suggestions.

I know enough IT to be dangerous and thought getting into video editing would be a breeze. After all I have done all kinds of things with data and burning CD's. DVD's are new to me but ....they are simply higher capacity CD's, right? LOL That is what I thought.

I am slowly realizing how wrong I was to think this way. A week ago I envisioned copying the home movies off the DVD's editing and combining some segments and drop others. A different set for different arms of the family, and for guests who are in some videos. Write the data back to DVD's and passing them out in a week or so. Well ...I was so wrong. I'm already in over my head and I just barely got the VOB files off of 1 of 12 DVD's converted to MPG. (Thanks to your alls help) Whew.

My hopes / plans are:

To be able to make multiple DVD's with clips of the VOB movies I have on 12 DVD's.
    I have one of the DVD's now converted to MPG and I can view that output.
    Now to edit them.....
    It would be nice to be able to transition. I am not aware of what menus would accomplish nor what special effects are possible, but I suspect once I learn I would like that capability. If menus would be like on DVD's that we buy where you can select 1 2 or 3 to go directly to a specific section that would be awesome to be able to add to these.

After getting these movies back from the person hired to put them on DVD I watched them and was awakened to how kewl it is to have videos of yesterdays memories to watch today. These movies were taken in the 90's when our kids were young. Now we have grandkids and even with the smart phone technology we do not take movies of most events. We just snap pictures, which are nice but movies bring them back alive. It is such a joy to see our family members that are in our old movies but have passed on. So I feel i is important to take movies of today, for watching way in the future.

So I bought a small Sony HD camera to help fill that need. I just got it this week, so, I am learning it at the same time as I struggle with being able to edit the old movies. And once this old movie editing and DVD making project is completed. I would like to move forward and be able edit movies made with my Sony HD (Pop can size video recorder).

So I can tell you what my end result goal is, but I am not aware of the different tools that will be needed to make this all happen.

From my experience IT tools that 'do it all' are typically not the best of breed. So if one editor is best for doing editing of the old movies, but another is best for editing the new formats todays cameras create, I understand. I would prefer using two different editing programs if that is the case.
    Last edited by ZeroG; 18th Jan 2018 at 20:12.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your comments and understanding of my comments.

I'm jumping ahead to your future project(s), shooting and editing videos from your Sony camcorder. It would be a very beneficial to state the model you have and if for some reason you're not comfortable with revealing that, at least post what the camera's video specifications (example from Sony's website for the HDR-CX455):

RECORDING FORMAT (VIDEO)
    AVCHD format ver. 2.0 compatible: MPEG4-AVC/H.264, MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, XAVC S format MPEG4-AVC/H.264

VIDEO RESOLUTION
    AVCHD: 1920 x 1080/60p (PS), 60i (FX, FH), 1440 x 1080/60i (HQ, LP), MP4: 1280 x 720 30p, XAVC S HD: 1920 x 1080/60 p, 30 p

VIDEO RECORDING RATE (ABR / VBR)
    AVCHD PS: approx. 28 Mbps/FX: approx. 24 Mbps/FH: approx. 17 Mbps/HQ: approx. 9Mbps/LP: approx. 5 Mbps89, MP4: approx. 3 Mbps8, XAVC S HD: approx. 50 Mbps8
    for

The reason is some formats (e.g. .mp4) are difficult to edit and Video DVDs have very specific framerate, bitrate and resolution requirements:"What is DVD" . You can always shoot (and I recommend you do since you're shooting for prosperity) in higher quality, keeping in mind a Video DVD won't take full advantage of it. But you can always use the higher quality footage later in a different delivery format (e.g. Blu-Ray, flash drive, SD card, etc).

You'll probably experience a bit of "buyer's remorse" when you compare your newly shot footage with your VHS to DVD transfers, but rest assured that if your transfer service has any type of good reputation, you wouldn't be able to do a significantly better job without spending hundreds of dollars and tens of hours on equipment and self-training.

Finally, since you're experienced with IT, you know the importance of having extra storage and backups. Save everything ('raw' and edited footage, project templates, etc.) so you don't have start from scratch in the future if you have new ideas for completed projects. Also, storage is cheap compared to irreplaceable memories.

Sorry for posting so much, but I have currently have a lot more time available and these are basic thoughts that I've garnered over years of reading these types of posts. Thankfully, you're open to comments and suggestions ([edit] "not everyONE is" <grin> ) and I wish you all the best in your endeavors!
    Last edited by lingyi; 19th Jan 2018 at 04:02. Reason: Spelling / grammar / politeness (sorry about the "not every 'newbie' is") <blush>
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have no problem posting the details of what I purchased ...
    I bought a Sony Handycam HDR-CX405 1080p HD Video Camera Camcorder

I cannot find the details on what type of image it creates MP4 or ???? Product description says: It creates cinematic video in high definition 1920 x 1080 24p/60p up to 50Mbps and high quality 9.2MP still images. Get amazingly close with 30x optical zoom plus 60x Clear Image digital zoom. The premium quality ZEISS Vario-Sonnar lens provides a high quality 26.8mm wide angle so you can get everything you want in the shot.

from Sony's site:

RECORDING FORMAT (VIDEO)
    AVCHD format ver. 2.0 compatible: MPEG4-AVC/H.264, MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, XAVC S format MPEG4-AVC/H264
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here are the specs from Sony's website: https://www.sony.com/electronics/handycam-camcorders/hdr-cx405/specifications

RECORDING FORMAT (VIDEO)
    AVCHD format ver. 2.0 compatible: MPEG4-AVC/H.264, MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, XAVC S format MPEG4-AVC/H264

VIDEO RESOLUTION
    AVCHD: 1920 x 1080/60p (PS), 60i (FX, FH), 1440 x 1080/60i (HQ, LP), MP4: 1280 x 720 30p, XAVC S HD: 1920 x 1080/60 p, 30 p

AVCHD PS: approx. 28 Mbps/FX: approx. 24 Mbps/FH: approx. 17 Mbps/HQ: approx. 9Mbps/LP: approx. 5 Mbps78, MP4: approx. 3 Mbps7, XAVC S HD: approx. 50 Mbps7

RECORDING FORMAT (STILL IMAGE)
    JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver. 2.3, MPF Baseline-compliant)

STILL IMAGE SIZE (PHOTO MODE)
    L: 9.2 Megapixels 16:9 (4032 x 2272), 6.9 Megapixels 4:3 (3024 x 2272), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920 x 1080), 0.3 Megapixels 4:3 (640 x 480)

STILL IMAGE SIZE (MOVIE MODE)
    L: 9.2 Megapixels 16:9 (4032 x 2272), S: 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920 x 1080)

STILL IMAGE SIZE (PHOTO CAPTURE)
    2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920 x 1080)

STILL IMAGE SIZE (DUAL RECORD)
    9.2 Megapixels 16:9 (4032 x 2272)9, 2.1 Megapixels 16:9 (1920 x 1080)9

Hopefully our knowledgeable members will soon be able to help you compatible editing software and best video settings / practices.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I do screen reshoots with my Sony camcorder...

When playing something in super slow motion.... I get close to the screen and video that small segment.

Slow motion and fast forward show you things that regular speed doesn't

Editing can include a pause in the video, the have a jpg display with some text explaining the show...
    Without having to cut and paste the video.

My app can also do special playbacks for golf.
    I start recording when the golfer addressed the ball and stop immediately after the swing...

The catmydrivegolf feature sets the timeline playback to play the complete video then play the last 3 seconds in slow motion
    We had a couple hundered videos from a golf tournament up and playing before the golfers finished their awards supper.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Thank you for your comments and understanding of my comments.

I'm jumping ahead to your future project(s), shooting and editing videos from your Sony camcorder. It would be a very beneficial to state the model you have and if for some reason you're not comfortable with revealing that, at least post what the camera's video specifications (example from Sony's website for the HDR-CX455):

RECORDING FORMAT (VIDEO)
    AVCHD format ver. 2.0 compatible: MPEG4-AVC/H.264, MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, XAVC S format MPEG4-AVC/H.264

VIDEO RESOLUTION

AVCHD PS: approx. 28 Mbps/FX: approx. 24 Mbps/FH: approx. 17 Mbps/HQ: approx. 9Mbps/LP: approx. 5 Mbps89, MP4: approx. 3 Mbps8, XAVC S HD: approx. 50 Mbps8
    for

The reason is some formats (e.g. .mp4) are difficult to edit and Video DVDs have very specific framerate, bitrate and resolution requirements:"What is DVD" . You can always shoot (and I recommend you do since you're shooting for prosperity) in higher quality, keeping in mind a Video DVD won't take full advantage of it. But you can always use the higher quality footage later in a different delivery format (e.g. Blu-Ray, flash drive, SD card, etc).

You'll probably experience a bit of "buyer's remorse" when you compare your newly shot footage with your VHS to DVD transfers, but rest assured that if your transfer service has any type of good reputation, you wouldn't be able to do a significantly better job without spending hundreds of dollars and tens of hours on equipment and self-training.

Finally, since you're experienced with IT, you know the importance of having extra storage and backups. Save everything ('raw' and edited footage, project templates, etc.) so you don't have start from scratch in the future if you have new ideas for completed projects. Also, storage is cheap compared to irreplaceable memories.

Sorry for posting so much, but I have currently have a lot more time available and these are basic thoughts that I've garnered over years of reading these types of posts. Thankfully, you're open to comments and suggestions ([edit] "not everyONE is" <grin> ) and I wish you all the best in your endeavors!
    It's cool that you have a modern digital camera. But I guess you know that you can't get DVD or MPEG2 with that camera. What you get can be used as BluRay or AVCHD disc, which requires a BluRay player if you want to share discs. If you do want official DVD, you can get there but you can't get there with any simple edit program. Your best shot at DVD would be to shoot 1280x720p/60fps, decode it and resize it to 720x480, interlace it, change the frame rate to 29.97 fps, and re-encode it as interlaced MPEG2 for DVD. You'll need a lot more than an "editor" for good results, although some paid editing programs do a so-so, ho-hum job of making that conversion if you don't mind some distortion and artifacts.

Your best bet for BluRay or AVCHD would be 1080i/30 or 1280p/60. Note that 1080p/60 1280p/30 are not compatible with BluRay.

For internet posting, all of those frame sizes will have to be reduced and re-encoded.

BluyRay & AVCHD specs: https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech . Note that many older BluRay players won't play AVCHD v2.0
    DVD specs (PAL & NTSC): https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Your best shot at DVD would be to shoot 1280x720p/60fps, decode it and resize it to 720x480, interlace it, change the frame rate to 29.97 fps, and re-encode it as interlaced MPEG2 for DVD.
    ZeroG's camera can shoot 1080p 59.94fps progressive, which can easily be resized to 720x480 and interlaced to 29.97fps. Plus you have a better source that can be used for Bluray or whatever else.

You could even just film at 1080i@29.97 and then separate the fields (not standard deinterlacing) to get 59.94fps and then resize the 1920x540 frames to 720x480. Finally converting the 59.94fps progressive to 29.97fps interlaced for burning to DVD. Of course a 1080i source is still not as good as 1080p@59.94fps
    Last edited by KarMa; 21st Jan 2018 at 16:41.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Your best shot at DVD would be to shoot 1280x720p/60fps, decode it and resize it to 720x480, interlace it, change the frame rate to 29.97 fps, and re-encode it as interlaced MPEG2 for DVD.
    ZeroG's camera can shoot 1080p 59.94fps progressive, which can easily be resized to 720x480
    Easily?
    Of course you will take the time and patience to advise the O.P. in detail what that sort of 1920->720 resize looks like using a typical editor, and what he would have to do to keep it from looking like a blurry, aliased mess.
    Quote Quote