VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a lot of really large video files that I recorded using obs I might have gone overboard with the quality because they take 4TB.
    I want to reduce their size and keep the quality high but i have no idea where and how to start.
    I have uploaded a text file with one of the files info.
    If someone can point me in the right direction that well be grate.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    it depends, if you want play them only on PC, or also on usual tv. And your CPU/GPU specs. Probably HW (GPU) encoding with such high bitrate isn't bad idea.
    EDIT: actually bitrate isn't as huge as seems to me on first look. 60FPS and resolution is also high.
    Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 14th Jan 2018 at 12:24. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  3. I want to be able to play them on a tv to and to keep the 60 fps if possible.
    Also i have a GTX 1080 and i7-4770k.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you can try some program, that supported NVENC h264. Because (not sure here) TV mainly supported h264 not h265 (DVB-T2) supported TV sets should be able to read even NVENC HEVC. But it also depends how picky are your eyes. Probably someone suggest software that has a more option then quality and max and average bitrate like avidemux has for both nvenc 264,265.
    You can try it on blind. Open your video in the program, choose in video Nvenc 264 in configure high quality and bitrate say 30000 kbps and max say to 60000 kbps (this numbers i made up) when bad quality increase these numbers -> bigger final filesize.
    In audio copy and output mode mkv, so you are able see quality of video when it is still encoding. But I believe there is software supported more features of nvenc.

Edit: the problem can also be with level supported by your TV. Such resolution and FPS needs higher level than 4.1 I presume, and not all TVs supports higher level.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 14th Jan 2018 at 12:41. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  5. @Rxzlion ... Personally, the size of the file I see exaggerated according to the length of the video, I would try to cut a part of the video and do some tests by lowering the bitrate with the same configuration you posted, so as to save space and get the same visual quality desired.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    So you can try some program, that supported NVENC h264. Because (not sure here) TV mainly supported h264 not h265 (DVB-T2) supported TV sets should be able to read even NVENC HEVC. But it also depends how picky are your eyes. Probably someone suggest software that has a more option then quality and max and average bitrate like avidemux has for both nvenc 264,265.
    You can try it on blind. Open your video in the program, choose in video Nvenc 264 in configure high quality and bitrate say 30000 kbps and max say to 60000 kbps (this numbers i made up) when bad quality increase these numbers -> bigger final filesize.
    In audio copy and output mode mkv, so you are able see quality of video when it is still encoding. But I believe there is software supported more features of nvenc.

Edit: the problem can also be with level supported by your TV. Such resolution and FPS needs higher level than 4.1 I presume, and not all TVs supports higher level.

Bernix
    Ok so let's drop tv support.

Originally Posted by Malkovich View Post
    @Rxzlion ... Personally, the size of the file I see exaggerated according to the length of the video, I would try to cut a part of the video and do some tests by lowering the bitrate with the same configuration you posted, so as to save space and get the same visual quality desired.
    Yeah I used OBS to record and I wanted max quality the options there are not so robust and I recorded while also playing so I didn't have much room to maneuver with the settings.
    Quote Quote