VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy PlayOn and record Netflix! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone,

I have not done a lot of Blu Ray authoring over the years. A lot of my authoring was on standard DVDs back in the day before HD video came into play. I am use to rendering content for internet videos on Youtube and what not, but I am looking to put my Blu Ray burner to work with projects.

I use Vegas Pro version 14 with DVD Architect Pro 6. I am so use to working with 1080p 60fps video for online or digital media purposes, I forgot that Blu Ray does not use full 1080p. So I was wondering what my options where for 1080p output to Blu Ray.

I currently have a 4 hour plus video project in the works that will need to be put to a multi blu ray disc output. The footage was shot in full HD on a Sony NX100 video camera. The footage is 1080p @ 60fps - 50Mb/s bit rate files. I was wondering what the best rendering options are for outputting to blu Ray discs. Is 1080i the best? Or is a pulldown method with progressive frames the better option? This is kinda new for me, as I am use to being able to just output full digital files for online or digital media use.

I know my way around Vegas pretty well, and I am pretty savvy when it comes to video formats/containers. I have just never had full HD footage to target to blu ray before. Any help, feedback, ect would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by liberty610; 13th Jan 2018 at 13:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best Blu-ray compatible options for your source material are 1080i29.97 and 720p59.94. Motion will appear less smooth if you re-encode to 1080p29.97 or 1080p23.976. Vegas Pro should have some profiles available for Blu-ray.

[Edit]Pulldown is useful only when starting with a 24fps source.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply! I tried to a 1080i29.97 and it seems alright. Are there any benefits as far as visuals go if I lower the resolution to 720 59.94? It seems smoothness is better at higher frame rates, but Idk if I want to loose the resolution. I'll probably do my own tests with it, but I always look for other opinions. A lot of my cource material was shot free hand with some fast/not smooth pans.

{Edit} Vegas has templates for rendering at the 1080i29.97 yo8u suggested. If I selected that, should I render it with upper field interlaced frames? Or rendering it as progressive? Will rendering it as progressive look better sence the source is already in progressive frames?
    Last edited by liberty610; 13th Jan 2018 at 15:25.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by liberty610 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I tried to a 1080i29.97 and it seems alright. Are there any benefits as far as visuals go if I lower the resolution to 720 59.94? It seems smoothness is better at higher frame rates, but Idk if I want to loose the resolution. I'll probably do my own tests with it, but I always look for other opinions. A lot of my cource material was shot free hand with some fast/not smooth pans.

{Edit} Vegas has templates for rendering at the 1080i29.97 yo8u suggested. If I selected that, should I render it with upper field interlaced frames? Or rendering it as progressive? Will rendering it as progressive look better sence the source is already in progressive frames?
    You should use top field first. It is more common than bottom field first.

As I recall 720p59.94 produces a slightly smaller file size than 1080i29.97 for the same apparent quality. Other than that it is a toss up. 720p preserves more detail in the vertical dimension, while 1080i preserves more detail in the horizontal dimension.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks a lot for the replies. I think I will do the 180 60i template in Vegas. Thanks again for the help!
    Quote Quote