VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy PlayOn and record Netflix! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Netherlands
    Search Comp PM
    My current set-up for capturing is:

    Panasonic Super Drive NV-HD630 => Composite => Panasonic DMR-ES10 => s-video => usb video grabber (Magix).

    What if I replace my current VCR with a newer S-VHS VCR. Could that improve the quality? Or doesn't it matter?

    Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    An s-video output will normally be superior to composite. We have heard that some VCRs, however, have inferior s-video circuitry and actually provide a better composite picture. In neither case will the image become lovely and crystal clear like a typical digital image.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Someone with better knowledge of video circuitry might advise better but since your final output to the capture device is s-video I question whether any gain would be made by having an input through the dvd-recorder also as s-video. That, of course, assumes that the dvd-recorder does genuinely split the composite signal to s-video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    C is a subcarrier in the composite signal and inevitably interacts with Y. Filtering them back to Y/C (s-video) does not yield perfect results. So you gain quality if you never combine them in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tennessee, US
    Search Comp PM
    Higher end SVHS players from JVC and Panasonic have far more robust tracking mechanisms in addition to powerful line tbc built-in and some decent but important noise reduction circuits (which often can be turned on/off) -- and those that don't have noise reduction at least don't create the noisy, ugly playback issues that cheaper players do.

    For those using composite input into pass-thru such as Panny ES10's and Es15's, those units do have s-video output converters with pretty good y/c comb filters as well. But that's still not as clean as a good VCR that outputs s-video properly to begin with.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member dellsam34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Paris Ca, 92345 Mexico
    Search PM
    There are some JVC S-VHS reasonably priced VCR's on eBay if you keep an eye, Just be careful "in working condition" doesn't always mean fully working.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I apologize if I inadvertently disrespect anyone here, but I what lordsmurf (a respected member who now rarely posts here now, but is always at digitalfaq.com) has to say on videotape capturing as the best (and to the point) around.

    "Use s-video. S-video is "separated video", which keeps the luma and chroma on separate channels. This is how VHS is stored, and the main reason it looks the best. There's no changes internally to the signal.

    SCART is really no different from RGB, VGA or component. It's more complicated, of course, but this is the simple answer. It's both not needed and not desired.

    When capturing any consumer analog format -- VHS, S-VHS, Betamax, Hi8, Video8, etc -- always use s-video.


    Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide-7.html#ixzz546qyaDqf"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    "Use s-video. S-video is 'separated video', which keeps the luma and chroma on separate channels. This is how VHS is stored, and the main reason it looks the best. There's no changes internally to the signal."
    To be precise, the color subcarrier on is recorded on tape at 629 kHz (VHS) or 688 kHz (Betamax), which keeps it out of the luminance modulation range. It is upconverted to 3.58 MHz before being sent out the s-video connector.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Netherlands
    Search Comp PM
    So it would be more useful to use a good S-VHS VCR. I see most of them are quite expensive, but I found a JVC HR-S8850EU for a good price. Should that be good enough? I am already using my DMR-ES10 as TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tennessee, US
    Search Comp PM
    That depends. Is the the seller offering a gurantee that it's in good owrking condition?
    A well regarded thread on pro and prosumer VCRs for capture, NTSC & PAL, with notes and faq: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide.html
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Netherlands
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it is in a good condition. Thanks for the article. It doesn’t show in the JVC list sadly.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tennessee, US
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GovertdeKat View Post
    Yes, it is in a good condition. Thanks for the article. It doesn’t show in the JVC list sadly.
    That's because there's nothing special about it. Has no TBC or noise reduction. Also, if your tapes are recorded at slower 6-hour or 8-hour speeds, JVC is a poor choice. JVC never fully supported slower recording. They are pretty much SP-only machines. They do load and play SLP/EP tapes, but not very well.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 15th Jan 2018 at 12:21.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by GovertdeKat View Post
    So it would be more useful to use a good S-VHS VCR. I see most of them are quite expensive, but I found a JVC HR-S8850EU for a good price. Should that be good enough? I am already using my DMR-ES10 as TBC.
    The Panasonic has you covered for signal processing. The most important thing with the VCR is that it be in good mechanical condition and alignment.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    This poster is PAL, not NTSC, so remember to keep it in context.
    - SP or LP are usually all that was possible, not SLP/EP, therefore JVC and Panasonic will usually work equally well
    - PAL does have some advantaged over NTSC in terms of color storage ... but s-video still ideal. You don't want composite, and SCART usually isn't an option for capture cards.

    BTW, even if SCART and option, S-VHS deck still processes/plays tapes much better than low-end VHS VCR.

    NV-HD is consumer VHS VCR, not better/pro NV-HS S-VHS series

    When ES10 in a chain, VCR TBC must be off. Only use ES10 when needed, as it does have side effects. It's not transparent.

    The cheap Magix card is probably losing some quality. They seem to have randomly rebadged a lot of cheap crap under the Magix brand.
    This is what cheap cards do: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/4599-exactly-wrong-easycap.html#post23105
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tennessee, US
    Search Comp PM
    Generally good advice, but...

    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    This poster is PAL, not NTSC, so remember to keep it in context.
    - SP or LP are usually all that was possible, not SLP/EP, therefore JVC and Panasonic will usually work equally well
    That's not true. Don't mislead the owner. LP looks like crap with a JVC, whether it's PAL or NTSC. Your own forum posted examples in the past, and I clearly recall how upset the owner was with the bad blurry JVC playback of his slow tapes.

    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    The cheap Magix card is probably losing some quality. They seem to have randomly rebadged a lot of cheap crap under the Magix brand.
    This is what cheap cards do: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/4599-exactly-wrong-easycap.html#post23105
    It's depressing how many people keep falling for the same bad gear again and again. There ought to be a way to put them out of the capture card business.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Netherlands
    Search Comp PM
    Any advice on a good capture card? The ATI 600 isn’t an option for me. I found the Hauppage 610 usb mentioned in this list: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3200-best-ati-wonder.html. That might be an option, but is it really a significant better usb grabber than my Maxic one?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tennessee, US
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GovertdeKat View Post
    I found the Hauppage 610 usb mentioned in this list: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3200-best-ati-wonder.html. That might be an option, but is it really a significant better usb grabber than my Maxic one?
    Yes. The similar Diamond Multimedia VC500 is another possibility and gets more popular every year..
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Netherlands
    Search Comp PM
    Great, thanks! I couldn’t get the Diamond, so I went for the Hauppauge.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member dellsam34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Paris Ca, 92345 Mexico
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    ]That's not true. Don't mislead the owner. LP looks like crap with a JVC, whether it's PAL or NTSC. Your own forum posted examples in the past, and I clearly recall how upset the owner was with the bad blurry JVC playback of his slow tapes.
    LP is crap to begin with, However my JVC HR-S7600AM plays LP tapes better than any VCR I've owned before, As a matter fact I had to recapture the LP VHS-C tapes that I still have because the results looked better with the JVC. Maybe the model I have has useful features like tape formulation signal compensation and extra 2 heads for LP tracks with different azimuth angle than the SP ones.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads