VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Consider supporting us by disable adblocker or buy Replay Video Capture or PlayON and record Netflix!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Thread
  1. So, I recently purchased an R1 copy of the Extreme Edition of Terminator 2 because the back of the box claimed that disc 2 contained an HD master of Terminator 2. I figured it'd be neat to see how a film rendered in 1080p in 2003 would look today. Unfortunately, while the files are on the disc, they seem to be encrypted with some ancient DRM. After looking it up, it turns out I need the license key to decrypt it. The only issue with this is that you could only get the license key online through InterActual Player and Windows Media Player 9, which isn't possible seeing as both these programs are both discontinued and incompatible with modern versions of Windows. So my question is: Is it possible to decrypt the WMV files off the DVD without a license key? Please let me know as soon as possible and thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. See if FairUse4WM will work.
    It may not work if you can not retrieve at least 1 decryption key via Windows Media Player from a/any DRM protected file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm not really sure how I can obtain a license key.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Does anyone know if this will work for DRM-locked .wmv files? I have some legally-acquired .wmv files that only work in a certain player that unfortunately only runs on Windows. I'm pretty sure the DRM has to do with Silverlight but I cannot seem to find any way around it so that I can play these files with MPC-HC or VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KillThad View Post
    So, I recently purchased an R1 copy of the Extreme Edition of Terminator 2 because the back of the box claimed that disc 2 contained an HD master of Terminator 2. I figured it'd be neat to see how a film rendered in 1080p in 2003 would look today. Unfortunately, while the files are on the disc, they seem to be encrypted with some ancient DRM. After looking it up, it turns out I need the license key to decrypt it. The only issue with this is that you could only get the license key online through InterActual Player and Windows Media Player 9, which isn't possible seeing as both these programs are both discontinued and incompatible with modern versions of Windows. So my question is: Is it possible to decrypt the WMV files off the DVD without a license key? Please let me know as soon as possible and thank you.
    can't you run Windows Media Player 9 through the windows compatibility mode option ??
    might also run disc 2 through dvdfab. dvdfab has a drm removal tool now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by KillThad View Post
    I'm not really sure how I can obtain a license key.
    If the servers are no longer running, you can't get a license key. This is why you should never buy DRM encumbered media. You're right to watch it will disappear along with the sellers. Or simply because they change their minds.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yesterday I found this thread on Archie Lopez's forum:

    "DRM10 cracked?"

    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=89243

    Even though I serious doubt it can be useful to the OP, I believe it's worth reading anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    might also run disc 2 through dvdfab. dvdfab has a drm removal tool now.
    DRM Removal for Apple, right? That doesn't work for .WMV files. I tried that. I haven't tried just normal, though.

    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If the servers are no longer running, you can't get a license key. This is why you should never buy DRM encumbered media. You're right to watch it will disappear along with the sellers. Or simply because they change their minds.
    I bought the disc brand new yesterday. I know it's an older disc, but there's gotta be some way to decrypt it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Alright, DVDFab did not work.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KillThad View Post
    Alright, DVDFab did not work.
    try this - https://www.winxdvd.com/resource/handbrake-remove-drm.htm
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by stonesfan99 View Post
    Does anyone know if this will work for DRM-locked .wmv files? I have some legally-acquired .wmv files that only work in a certain player that unfortunately only runs on Windows. I'm pretty sure the DRM has to do with Silverlight but I cannot seem to find any way around it so that I can play these files with MPC-HC or VLC.
    FairUse4WM works (or did work) with both wma & wmv files as long as you have a decryption key for a protected file. The second generation of this DRM protection thwarted FairUse4WM's removal (I think this was sometime after 2006).
    But if servers are down and a key can no longer be obtained by WMP, then you'd be stuck.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    But if servers are down and a key can no longer be obtained by WMP, then you'd be stuck.
    That's the problem. These are .WMVs on a DVD-ROM from 2003 and the servers for them have been down for god knows how long.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads