VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    In a failed attempt to use a professional camcorder to capture some 8mm and Hi8 tapes, Precisely the Canon L2 which has its own problems (see my other thread) I decided to just get a consumer camcorder, I need one from the later years of the Hi8 demise with TBC, DNR, S-Video and HiFi Stereo RCA outputs. Preferably Hi8 XR (the latest version of Hi8).
    I see that Sony made two types of Hi8 camcorders, The 2 headers such as the CCD-TRV66 and 4 headers such as the CCD-TRV99, I know the extra 2 heads has nothing to do with SP they are only for LP, My question is would you get a better picture from LP tapes if they were played back with a 4 head camcorder vs a 2 head camcorder, I'm certain that those extra 2 heads have different azimuth to have better alignment with the LP video tracks that have slightly a different angle on the magnetic tape, But I'm not sure how big the difference is? What's your opinion and experience with them? Any owner of both that had noticed quality differences?

Note: I'm only interested in Hi8 not Digital8 for other reasons not related to this subject.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 11th Jan 2018 at 05:38. Reason: Typo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Where is Lordsmurf when we need him? Any other experts in video equipment?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Eagerly awaiting an answer to this as well....
    Quote Quote